    Regards
    Alan
    UK

    Alan, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Alan wrote:
    > I am thinking of entering the SLR digital world and have read a few
    > positive reports on the Canon 300D digital SLR but never had the
    > experiences of anyone owning one. I notice there are several in
    > this group who have one and would really appreciate any feedback they
    > can provide me regarding this camera please good or bad.

    Although I don't own one currently (lack of funds), all I can say is:
    It's one great camera.

    The only real setback I encountered in my 2 days test was the
    fact that the case feels quite "cheap" compared to the 300ds
    bigger brothers', aunts' and uncles'.
    If you didn't do it already: http://www.dpreview.com
    Phils tests are usually quite accurate and the forums will likely
    hold a lot of 300d reviews from people who bought or tested
    them themselves.

    Hth, Mathias

    Mathias Schmid, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Alan

    HRosita Guest

    HRosita, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Alan wrote:
    > I am thinking of entering the SLR digital world and have read a few
    > positive reports on the Canon 300D digital SLR

    I am using mine since 5 weeks now and
    I *really* love it. Even the standard lens (18-55)
    isn't that bad but I use the cam most of the time
    with my 28-135 IS that I owned already.
    If you can effort one of these (another $600)
    the pictures you will make with this camera
    are really great.

    Get one, specially if you have another $1000
    for an EX Speedlite and the 28-135USM and
    maybe the 50/1.8 (that is a little bit "long" on
    the 300D but really great for portrait).

    Sorry for my bad english :eek:)

    ...Frank

    Frank Schniering, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Alan

    Lansbury Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:05:17 +0000 (UTC), "Alan"
    <> wrote:

    >I am thinking of entering the SLR digital world and have read a few positive
    >reports on the Canon 300D digital SLR but never had the experiences of
    >anyone owning one. I notice there are several in this group who have one
    >and would really appreciate any feedback they can provide me regarding this
    >camera please good or bad.

    I purchased mine last month and have used it a reasonable amount since
    then.

    Before I got it I had a Canon G2 and a couple of Minolta film SLRs.

    The quality of the output of the 300D is in my opinion simply amazing,
    better than the G2 and equal to and maybe better than the Minolta
    cameras with Sigma lenses. I got the kit lens with my 300D and for the
    price it is very good.

    There have been comments about the 300D under exposing. It does if there
    is a very bright area in about one third of the frame, then the
    remainder tends to be under exposed. But this is all about learning how
    the camera works and can be easily overcome by using manual exposure,
    changing the settings or if using auto mode move the camera away from
    the bright area, take a reading and reframe. Conversely overcast skies
    seem to result in them being underexposed, but again once you know and
    recognise this easily corrected. As with any tool you have to learn to
    use it.

    Also I have seen comments about the viewfinder being misaligned. The
    manual states it only shows 95% of the picture in the viewfinder and I
    carefully tested mine to see if it was misaligned and it isn't.

    All in all a very good camera which I am going to enjoy learning to use
    and using for a long time to come. I consider it money well spent.

    --
    Lansbury
    www.uk-air.net

    Lansbury, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Alan

    Andrew Guest

    > The quality of the output of the 300D is in my opinion simply amazing,

    Ditto

    I am having so much fun with this thing, Its my first digital camera but I
    am in the IT industry and have used many cameras, I cant seem to leave it
    behind ! I am taking it every were I go.

    > There have been comments about the 300D under exposing. It does if there
    > is a very bright area in about one third of the frame, then the
    > remainder tends to be under exposed. But this is all about learning how
    > the camera works and can be easily overcome by using manual exposure,
    > changing the settings or if using auto mode move the camera away from
    > the bright area, take a reading and reframe. Conversely overcast skies
    > seem to result in them being underexposed,

    And Thanks Lansbury for the over exposure FIX, I hadn't thought of that!

    I had that problem with this shot originally:
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/andrewc/landscape/pages/DogRocks.html
    But upon ting it the result looked really funky so I kept it!

    Then I went back and got a whole less sky and came up with this:
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/andrewc/landscape/pages/DogRocks Sheep.html

    I am looking forward to trying your Over Exposure FIX, Thanks.

    If you want to see how much fun I am having here is my pick of the bunch:
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/andrewc

    Andrew

    Andrew, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Alan

    Guest

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

    > Get one, specially if you have another $1000 for an EX Speedlite

    300D does not support flash exposure compensation. Only $300 550EX
    support that. Even with E-TTL, you may still want to adjust flash
    compensation. So you might as well adjust aperture with Vivitar 285HV:
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash

    , Oct 30, 2003
  8. Alan

    Mustafa Krap Guest

    > > Alan wrote:
    > > > I am thinking of entering the SLR digital world and have read a few
    > > > positive reports on the Canon 300D digital SLR

    > http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr
    >
    > > Get one, specially if you have another $1000 for an EX Speedlite

    > 300D does not support flash exposure compensation. Only $300 550EX
    > support that. Even with E-TTL, you may still want to adjust flash
    > compensation. So you might as well adjust aperture with Vivitar 285HV:
    > http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash

    The 300D might not officially support FEC at the moment but using the 10D
    remote capture program you can change the FEC on the 300D by +/- 2 EV which
    proves that Canon only disabled FEC in the firmware and hopefully with the
    amount of complaints they are getting from users they might re-enable it in
    the next firmware upgrade.

    Rob.

    Mustafa Krap, Oct 31, 2003