    I'm guessing it would be of interest to some members of this newsgroup,
    but then again, I don't want to ruffle any feathers by inappropriate
    posting.

    CTF, Mar 7, 2006

  2. CTF

    Guest

    CTF wrote:
    > Is this the right place to advertise a senior Unix admin position at my
    > Wellington based work place?
    >
    > I'm guessing it would be of interest to some members of this newsgroup,
    > but then again, I don't want to ruffle any feathers by inappropriate
    > posting.

    Would be fine I think.

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 7, 2006

  3. On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:47:39 +1300, CTF wrote:

    > Is this the right place to advertise a senior Unix admin position at my
    > Wellington based work place?

    No.

    Advertising is spam. Spam is not wanted neither on Usenet not in email.

    Perhaps an online recruitment agency or a newspaper is the place you're
    looking for.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux,
    and it does all the things that they want."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 7, 2006
  4. CTF

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:47:39 +1300, CTF wrote:
    >
    >> Is this the right place to advertise a senior Unix admin position at
    >> my Wellington based work place?

    > No.
    >
    > Advertising is spam. Spam is not wanted neither on Usenet not in
    > email.
    >
    > Perhaps an online recruitment agency or a newspaper is the place
    > you're looking for.

    Or in nz.wanted

    I personally have nothing against this sort of posting though, and I suspect
    that most other people reading this group wouldn't either. Incidentally,
    just had a look and I couldn't find a charter for nz.comp.

    BTW, he has a wetafx.co.nz email address...

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 7, 2006
  5. CTF

    Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:47:39 +1300, CTF wrote:
    >

    >>Is this the right place to advertise a senior Unix admin position at my
    >>Wellington based work place?

    > No.
    >
    > Advertising is spam. Spam is not wanted neither on Usenet not in email.
    >
    > Perhaps an online recruitment agency or a newspaper is the place you're
    > looking for.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    The odd job offer has been posted here in the past, most ppl dont mind....

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 7, 2006
  6. CTF

    Shane Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > I personally have nothing against this sort of posting though, and I
    > suspect
    > that most other people reading this group wouldn't either. Incidentally,
    > just had a look and I couldn't find a charter for nz.comp.
    >
    > BTW, he has a wetafx.co.nz email address...

    By the powers of deducement invested in me...
    theres a job for a Unix admin going at Weta..
    must have Irix skills.. must have Linux skills...
    Money and beer will be exchanged

    Shane, Mar 7, 2006
  7. CTF

    ~misfit~ Guest

    CTF wrote:
    > Is this the right place to advertise a senior Unix admin position at
    > my Wellington based work place?
    >
    > I'm guessing it would be of interest to some members of this
    > newsgroup, but then again, I don't want to ruffle any feathers by
    > inappropriate posting.

    Ignore "Have a Nice Cup of Tea", it's just the latest in a long line of
    psudonyms for a resident troll. You can tell by the ridiculousness of the
    nick that he's changed it so often he's running out of ideas.*

    I see absolutely no reason for you not to advertise the position here, it
    could well benefit one of us regulars after all. Crosspost it nz.wanted too
    if you like, although this group is more appropriate.

    Post away CTF, ignore the fools, you can't please all the people all the
    time. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    *In fact, all this nym shifting crap has inspired me to post on usenet from
    now on using my real name, Shaun Stephens. There will be a change-over
    period where I use both as I don't want to be percieved as nym-shifting.

    ~misfit~, Mar 7, 2006
  8. CTF

    Crains Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > CTF wrote:
    >> Is this the right place to advertise a senior Unix admin position at
    >> my Wellington based work place?
    >>
    >> I'm guessing it would be of interest to some members of this
    >> newsgroup, but then again, I don't want to ruffle any feathers by
    >> inappropriate posting.

    > Ignore "Have a Nice Cup of Tea", it's just the latest in a long line
    > of psudonyms for a resident troll. You can tell by the ridiculousness
    > of the nick that he's changed it so often he's running out of ideas.*
    > I see absolutely no reason for you not to advertise the position
    > here, it could well benefit one of us regulars after all. Crosspost
    > it nz.wanted too if you like, although this group is more appropriate.
    >
    > Post away CTF, ignore the fools, you can't please all the people all
    > the time. :)

    I Agree. Go ahead and post, if the Cup of Tea doesn't like it let him
    killfile you :)

    Crains, Mar 7, 2006
  9. On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:47:39 +1300, CTF wrote:

    > Is this the right place to advertise a senior Unix admin position at my
    > Wellington based work place?
    >
    > I'm guessing it would be of interest to some members of this newsgroup,
    > but then again, I don't want to ruffle any feathers by inappropriate
    > posting.

    From the nz.comp faq:

    nz.comp
    =======

    Anything computer related.
    e.g. why modems need telepermits, Good computer companies.

    For-sale and Jobs posts should go to nz.wanted or nz.biz.misc.

    wogers nemesis, Mar 7, 2006
  10. CTF

    Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >

    >>I personally have nothing against this sort of posting though, and I
    >>suspect
    >>that most other people reading this group wouldn't either. Incidentally,
    >>just had a look and I couldn't find a charter for nz.comp.
    >>
    >>BTW, he has a wetafx.co.nz email address...

    > By the powers of deducement invested in me...
    > theres a job for a Unix admin going at Weta..
    > must have Irix skills.. must have Linux skills...
    > Money and beer will be exchanged

    I would not think irix if its senior....soooo old.....

    Jobs at weta in the past have been poorly paid....and horrendious
    hours.....plus mileage to Mirimar.....

    cheat looking at the headers....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 7, 2006
  11. CTF

    Andrew Guest

    y wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>

    >>> I personally have nothing against this sort of posting though, and I
    >>> suspect
    >>> that most other people reading this group wouldn't either.
    >>> Incidentally,
    >>> just had a look and I couldn't find a charter for nz.comp.
    >>>
    >>> BTW, he has a wetafx.co.nz email address...

    >> By the powers of deducement invested in me...
    >> theres a job for a Unix admin going at Weta..
    >> must have Irix skills.. must have Linux skills...
    >> Money and beer will be exchanged
    >>

    > I would not think irix if its senior....soooo old.....
    >
    > Jobs at weta in the past have been poorly paid....and horrendious
    > hours.....plus mileage to Mirimar.....
    >
    > cheat looking at the headers....
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Hey.. Irix does still get used... Doesnt it?

    Andrew, Mar 7, 2006
  12. T'was the Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:17:50 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >*In fact, all this nym shifting crap has inspired me to post on usenet from
    >now on using my real name, Shaun Stephens. There will be a change-over
    >period where I use both as I don't want to be percieved as nym-shifting.

    Hi Shaun, I'm Waylon:)

    I wasn't a big fan of hiding behind a nickname. If your name is
    attached to opinions, you opinions tend to be more thought out and
    rational than the anything that can be said from behind a nickname.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 7, 2006
  13. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:17:50 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> *In fact, all this nym shifting crap has inspired me to post on
    >> usenet from now on using my real name, Shaun Stephens. There will be
    >> a change-over period where I use both as I don't want to be
    >> percieved as nym-shifting.

    > Hi Shaun, I'm Waylon:)

    Hey Waylon. :)

    > I wasn't a big fan of hiding behind a nickname. If your name is
    > attached to opinions, you opinions tend to be more thought out and
    > rational than the anything that can be said from behind a nickname.

    I agree. I've used the same nick on usenet for about 7-8 years now. I
    originally started using a nick as I was, at the time, an under-medicated
    chronic pain patient and was posting / reading drugs groups, trying to find
    ways to alleviate my pain. Some of them not-so-legal. Hence the nick,
    paranoia. It didn't help, I got busted for cultivation of cannabis in '00
    anyway and did 6 months in Waikeria prison for it in '01.

    However, I've never changed the nick (I'd hate to be a nym-shifter) and
    always stand behind what I say. Google groups search will find my real name
    and details anyway, I've posted them before when challenged or accused of
    hiding behind a nick. Time I let it go altogether I think. However, as I
    *do* stand behind everything I've posted I'll use both my real name and my
    nick together for a while. Also, (although I'll leave the 'return to' email
    addy the same) I'd like to give anyone who has me killfiled a chance to
    adjust their killfiles to reflect me changing my posting name.

    Heh, I've become rather attached to the nick 'misfit' though. It rather
    suits me.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(Was: ~misfit~\), Mar 7, 2006
  14. CTF

    Phstpok Guest

    y wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>

    >>> I personally have nothing against this sort of posting though, and I
    >>> suspect
    >>> that most other people reading this group wouldn't either.
    >>> Incidentally,
    >>> just had a look and I couldn't find a charter for nz.comp.
    >>>
    >>> BTW, he has a wetafx.co.nz email address...

    >> By the powers of deducement invested in me...
    >> theres a job for a Unix admin going at Weta..
    >> must have Irix skills.. must have Linux skills...
    >> Money and beer will be exchanged
    >>

    > I would not think irix if its senior....soooo old.....
    >
    > Jobs at weta in the past have been poorly paid....and horrendious
    > hours.....plus mileage to Mirimar.....
    >
    > cheat looking at the headers....
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    But ok for some of us older admins originally brought up on a diet of
    irix, solaris, etc., nice to see theres still value to be had.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Mar 7, 2006
  15. CTF

    thing2 Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > y wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>> By the powers of deducement invested in me...
    >>> theres a job for a Unix admin going at Weta..
    >>> must have Irix skills.. must have Linux skills...
    >>> Money and beer will be exchanged
    >>>

    >> I would not think irix if its senior....soooo old.....
    >>
    >> Jobs at weta in the past have been poorly paid....and horrendious
    >> hours.....plus mileage to Mirimar.....
    >>
    >> cheat looking at the headers....
    >>
    >> ;]
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Hey.. Irix does still get used... Doesnt it?

    Not in any significant quantity I would think.....hardware for it is now
    getting very old...

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Mar 7, 2006
  16. T'was the Tue, 7 Mar 2006 21:36:16 +1300 when I remembered "Shaun
    \(Was: ~misfit~\)" <> saying something like
    this:

    >I agree. I've used the same nick on usenet for about 7-8 years now. I
    >originally started using a nick as I was, at the time, an under-medicated
    >chronic pain patient and was posting / reading drugs groups, trying to find
    >ways to alleviate my pain. Some of them not-so-legal. Hence the nick,
    >paranoia. It didn't help, I got busted for cultivation of cannabis in '00
    >anyway and did 6 months in Waikeria prison for it in '01.

    I applied for a job as Head of IT at Waikeria sometime last year I
    believe. Turns out it was more than IT but more T, dealing with things
    like Security Systems, CCTV, Radio Telephones etc...

    A little bit outside my current scope:) To be honest, I wouldn't want
    a guy like me running the security systems, this may not work out so
    well for everyone involved.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 7, 2006
  17. CTF

    thing2 Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > y wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>> By the powers of deducement invested in me...
    >>> theres a job for a Unix admin going at Weta..
    >>> must have Irix skills.. must have Linux skills...
    >>> Money and beer will be exchanged
    >>>

    >> I would not think irix if its senior....soooo old.....
    >>
    >> Jobs at weta in the past have been poorly paid....and horrendious
    >> hours.....plus mileage to Mirimar.....
    >>
    >> cheat looking at the headers....
    >>
    >> ;]
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > But ok for some of us older admins originally brought up on a diet of
    > irix, solaris, etc., nice to see theres still value to be had.
    >
    > Rob

    Funnily enough Solaris skills are still in demand and command a premium
    over Linux, (5~20k I reckon). I have been asked if interested in several
    Solaris jobs in the last year, and declined because of no Linux
    component. I think solaris support work is a bit old hat myself so want
    to stick to Linux, that is where the growth and interesting work is IMHO.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Mar 7, 2006
  18. OT: Posting names. Was: Re: Advertising a vacancy?

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Tue, 7 Mar 2006 21:36:16 +1300 when I remembered "Shaun
    > \(Was: ~misfit~\)" <> saying something like
    > this:
    >
    >> I agree. I've used the same nick on usenet for about 7-8 years now. I
    >> originally started using a nick as I was, at the time, an
    >> under-medicated chronic pain patient and was posting / reading drugs
    >> groups, trying to find ways to alleviate my pain. Some of them
    >> not-so-legal. Hence the nick, paranoia. It didn't help, I got busted
    >> for cultivation of cannabis in '00 anyway and did 6 months in
    >> Waikeria prison for it in '01.

    > I applied for a job as Head of IT at Waikeria sometime last year I
    > believe. Turns out it was more than IT but more T, dealing with things
    > like Security Systems, CCTV, Radio Telephones etc...
    >
    > A little bit outside my current scope:) To be honest, I wouldn't want
    > a guy like me running the security systems, this may not work out so
    > well for everyone involved.

    A crappy place to be, even to work. Some of the screws and even clerical
    staff I spoke to said that even working there changes you. "There" being in
    the prison system. I'm pleased you didn't take the job.

    I saw it again on TV this week, the old, oft-repeated cliche "Prison changes
    a man". All I can say is that it's true. However, the extent of the change
    depends on the individual.

    Oh, and I've been advised by some people in other computer groups, (where
    I've also changed my posting nick) that using full name in this day and age
    isn't good. Several reasons, ranging from flame war / fatal attraction /
    stalker-type things to identity theft / information gathering. (The sort
    where you call someone a "God-damned wanker" (or worse) in a newsgroup and
    then, years later, get turned down for an IT job with a Christian
    organisation / company under intense public scrutiny / military / police
    etc. who use Google groups search) Therefore I'll only use my first name.
    :)

    In fact a lot of people have gone the other way, started using nicknames
    after posting under their real names for years. Makes me debate the wisdom
    of my decision. However, most of the anecdotal reasons given for not using a
    real name happened in the US and I don't think we're that bad in NZ yet.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 8, 2006
  19. CTF

    Shane Guest

    Re: OT: Posting names. Was: Re: Advertising a vacancy?

    Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:

    > Oh, and I've been advised by some people in other computer groups, (where
    > I've also changed my posting nick) that using full name in this day and
    > age isn't good. Several reasons, ranging from flame war / fatal attraction
    > / stalker-type things to identity theft / information gathering. (The sort
    > where you call someone a "God-damned wanker" (or worse) in a newsgroup and
    > then, years later, get turned down for an IT job with a Christian
    > organisation / company under intense public scrutiny / military / police
    > etc. who use Google groups search) Therefore I'll only use my first name.
    > :)

    > Cheers,

    I would have thought Cliffs solution would fit your problem
    post as (in his case) Enkidu but sign as Cliff

    Shane, Mar 8, 2006
  20. Re: OT: Posting names. Was: Re: Advertising a vacancy?

    T'was the Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:00:00 +1300 when I remembered "Shaun
    \(~misfit~\)" <> saying something like this:

    >Oh, and I've been advised by some people in other computer groups, (where
    >I've also changed my posting nick) that using full name in this day and age
    >isn't good. Several reasons, ranging from flame war / fatal attraction /
    >stalker-type things to identity theft / information gathering. (The sort
    >where you call someone a "God-damned wanker" (or worse) in a newsgroup and
    >then, years later, get turned down for an IT job with a Christian
    >organisation / company under intense public scrutiny / military / police
    >etc. who use Google groups search) Therefore I'll only use my first name.
    >:)

    Well that's always been a concern and even more so. Often people don't
    mind giving out certain bits of information, but if all those little
    bits of information are pieced together (something Google goes a long
    way helping towards), often there's a pattern of information that
    people don't want other people to see.

    Having said that, there's a trend towards people putting more personal
    information online, with blogs and personal websites, social bookmarks
    etc... and even though there are these issues of stalker/information
    gathering on people, I feel more strongly about the fact that people
    should be able to state their own opinions and have healthy
    stimulating debate without having to resort to nyms.

    >In fact a lot of people have gone the other way, started using nicknames
    >after posting under their real names for years. Makes me debate the wisdom
    >of my decision. However, most of the anecdotal reasons given for not using a
    >real name happened in the US and I don't think we're that bad in NZ yet.

    It wouldn't surprise me if employers googled names anyways, just to
    see what was available on employees. I'm sure there are legal
    ramifications to this.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.