Advertisement of a default route

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Lars L. Christensen, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. Hi there

    What's the easist way to advertise only a default route to a remote
    router?

    I would prefer to use BGP, but am able to use EIGRP instead if that is
    more preferred.

    Setup:

    +-------+ +-------+
    | BGP-A | | BGP-B |
    +-------+ +-------+
    \ /
    \ /
    \ /
    +----------+
    | Customer |
    +----------+

    BGP-A and BGP-B is in the same AS and running iBGP.

    The reason for running BGP between the customer and the 2 BGP routers is
    to avoid the customers inside the IGP routing table and keep them on the
    edge of the network (common way to secure the core network).

    Normally I could just make a default route going out the 2 interfaces to
    the BGP routers, but because the interfaces don't go down in case of a
    break on the lines, I don't believe I can use that solution.

    I know I problerbly should use some filters, but I'm not that good with
    the routefilters yet.

    Hope to hear som solutions from you guys :)

    Cheers, Lars

    Lars L. Christensen, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Lars L. Christensen

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <Xns95EB8F8944BABlarsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.208.69>,
    says...
    > Hi there
    >
    > What's the easist way to advertise only a default route to a remote
    > router?

    neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate

    will allow your BGP router to advertise default route to it's neighbor.

    > I would prefer to use BGP, but am able to use EIGRP instead if that is
    > more preferred.

    BGP is just fine....

    > I know I problerbly should use some filters, but I'm not that good with
    > the routefilters yet.

    After this, I just have to say that playing with BGP on live network can
    be very very very dangerous to you, your customer and whole Internet (if
    stuff gets propagated to it)....

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Ivan Ostreš <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns95EB8F8944BABlarsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.208.69>,
    > says...
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> What's the easist way to advertise only a default route to a remote
    >> router?

    > neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate
    >
    > will allow your BGP router to advertise default route to it's neighbor.

    Does that apply to iBGP neighbors as well?

    Lars L. Christensen, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Lars L. Christensen

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <Xns95EFAFD71B87Flarsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.208.69>,
    says...
    > Ivan Ostreš <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <Xns95EB8F8944BABlarsperseusdkmaybefo@217.74.208.69>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi there
    > >>
    > >> What's the easist way to advertise only a default route to a remote
    > >> router?

    > > neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate
    > >
    > > will allow your BGP router to advertise default route to it's neighbor.
    > >

    > Does that apply to iBGP neighbors as well?

    I don't remember any reason why it wouldn't work. You'll have some other
    potential problem with this route on other iBGP peers, but that is
    another story which might or might not happen...

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Jan 31, 2005