    that as part of its 50th Anniversary Celebrations, the truly
    astounding, very wonderful 'The Adventures of Superman' television
    series with George Reeves will be coming to DVD in 2005!
    anthony, Dec 18, 2004

  2. anthony

    Matthew. Guest

    On 17 Dec 2004 22:35:43 -0800, (anthony)
    wrote:

    >Now for some great news for people as constantly juvenile as me --
    >Warner Brothers in the States has confirmed to press in the States
    >that as part of its 50th Anniversary Celebrations, the truly
    >astounding, very wonderful 'The Adventures of Superman' television
    >series with George Reeves will be coming to DVD in 2005!

    great news!
    will it be the entire series and movies too?
    Matthew., Dec 18, 2004

  3. anthony

    Luke Hooft Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > Now for some great news for people as constantly juvenile as me --
    > Warner Brothers in the States has confirmed to press in the States
    > that as part of its 50th Anniversary Celebrations, the truly
    > astounding, very wonderful 'The Adventures of Superman' television
    > series with George Reeves will be coming to DVD in 2005!

    Cool! I'd actually like to see the serials too. I'm more interested in them
    than the TV show.

    LH
    Luke Hooft, Dec 18, 2004
  4. >great news!
    >will it be the entire series and movies too?

    Did George Reeves do an Superman movies? I don't remember any.
    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
    MarkZimmerman, Dec 18, 2004
  5. "MarkZimmerman" <> wrote in message
    > >great news!
    >>will it be the entire series and movies too?

    > Did George Reeves do an Superman movies? I don't remember any.
    > Best,
    >
    > Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    The pilot for the Superman TV Show was an hour long film called "Superman
    and the Mole Men". This has been available on laserdisc and videotape. It
    was eventually edited into two episodes for T.V.

    This is the only theatre film of George Reeve's Superman that I know of.
    Although I've seen lobby cards and posters for G.R. Superman movies with the
    titles:

    Superman in "Scotland Yard"

    Superman in "The Hidden Jungle"
    Bernie Woodham, Dec 19, 2004
  6. anthony

    hamonga Guest

    how can it be very wonderful?
    please explain because you sound like someone who has never watched it on tv
    because if you had you would not want to get it on DVD.
    hamonga, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Nice quality DVDs of the 2 Superman serials are available
    collector-to-collector. I picked mine up a couple of years ago.

    The Phantom of the Arena, Dec 19, 2004
  8. "hamonga" <> top-posted in message
    > how can it be very wonderful?
    > please explain because you sound like someone who has never watched it
    > on tv because if you had you would not want to get it on DVD.
    > "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > > Now for some great news for people as constantly juvenile as me --
    > > Warner Brothers in the States has confirmed to press in
    > > the States that as part of its 50th Anniversary Celebrations, the
    > > truly astounding, very wonderful 'The Adventures of Superman'
    > > television series with George Reeves will be coming to DVD in
    > > 2005!

    I know what you mean. Some of the stuff was pretty lame. For example, in
    nearly every episode, a gangster would unload his gun on Superman and
    Superman would stand there with the bullets bouncing off his chest.
    Then, the gangster would throw the empty gun at Superman and The Man of
    Steel would duck out of the way. Totally ridiculous.

    The first Superman TV season had intelligent scripts and starred Phyllis
    Coats, who played the best Lois Lane ever. This tough broad knew how to
    snoop, scoop and get the poop:

    "Phyllis Coats was the first Lois Lane on a recurring television series.
    Her abrasive Lois might actually have given Kidder's a run for her
    money. This was a no-nonsense Lois who saw journalism as a goal totally
    uncluttered by romance, or even the desire for romance. She was one of
    the few depictions of the character who had did not go gaga over the Man
    of Steel and her relationship with Clark Kent could sometimes border on
    contempt."

    "However, despite her hard-as-nails character trait, she truly did seem
    to care about the people she covered in her stories and saw journalism
    as a way to help them."

    The Phyllis Coates version of Lois Lane was very similar to the way that
    the character was portrayed on the radio serial.

    After the departure of Phyllis Coates, and her replacement by Noel
    Neill, the series went downhill very quickly. The plots usually involved
    Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen getting kidnapped and tied up someplace and
    then having Superman rescue them in the nick of time.

    http://www.redboots.net/loislane/actress.htm
    One-Shot Scot, Dec 19, 2004
  9. anthony

    Mike Kohary Guest

    hamonga wrote:
    > how can it be very wonderful?
    > please explain because you sound like someone who has never watched
    > it on tv because if you had you would not want to get it on DVD.

    The series hasn't held up well over time, but a lot of times people want
    things for nostagia if no other reason. Especially if you grew up with
    something, it can always seem pretty terrific to you, even if no one else
    "gets it".

    I sure can't talk about anyone wanting this series, seeing as how I dig
    Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek. ;)

    Mike Kohary, Dec 20, 2004
  10. anthony

    vavud Guest

    That's just your opinion. Not necessarily correct.
    In fact, Phyllis Coates was a total bitch!
    I reckon Noel Neill was much better.

    vavud, Dec 20, 2004
  11. anthony

    NewcastleBoy Guest

    I'll never forget the Superman episode from this series where Lois
    Lane gets a speeding ticket for doing 30mph in a 55mph zone.

    NewcastleBoy

    NewcastleBoy, Dec 20, 2004
  12. "vavud" <> wrote in message
    > That's just your opinion. Not necessarily correct.
    > In fact, Phyllis Coates was a total bitch!
    > I reckon Noel Neill was much better.

    Well, yeah.

    But I also liked Rosa Klebb in _From Russia With Love_.

    Noel Neill came by the Lois Lane part honestly because the was the
    original girl reporter in the _Superman_ serial of the late 40s:

    "Superman is a Columbia Serial, with all the shortcomings that entails.
    Bad writing, bad acting, cheap effects, bad costumes (Hell, the only
    time somebody changes outfits is when Clark Kent becomes Superman.
    Otherwise they wear the same clothes throughout, including an
    unfortunate choice of hat for Lois Lane that makes her look like one of
    the dancing mushrooms from "Fantasia" for 15 chapters)."

    People would ask Miss Neill why she and everyone else always wore the
    same stupid outfits in every episode. She said it was because they shot
    all of the interior scenes at the same time and they would need to wear
    the same costumes in order to maintain continuity throughout the series.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6301536789/104-8125699-6530320?v=glance
    One-Shot Scot, Dec 20, 2004