    Sherwood Forest gear glows with verdant green. This trailer points to
    a fantastic September 30 release!
    And how long now before we get Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk as well?
    anthony, Sep 21, 2003

  2. anthony

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    <<Has anyone noticed the trailer for Adventures of Robin Hood on the new
    double-disc Special Edition of Casablanca? On the American (Region One)
    disc, the trailer is an average-quality 2-minute job from the movie's
    re-release. For the Australian Region Four release, the trailer is a
    vintage special 4-minute preview, which seems to have undertaken the
    same sort of restoration the entire movie has been given for its release
    on September 30. The picture is unbelievably crisp and detailed. Skin
    tones are just radiant, and full of texture and subtle shading. Errol
    Flynn's Sherwood Forest gear glows with verdant green. This trailer
    points to a fantastic September 30 release! And how long now before we
    get Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk as well?>>

    Yes, I noticed the trailer and I'm counting the days until Robin Hood is
    released.

    Now, if only disk 2 of the Robin Hood set will feature the trailer to
    _King Kong_, my DVD collection will be nearly complete.

    As for Sept. 30, these 3 disks are on my list:

    Fargo
    Yankee Doodle Dandy
    The Adventures of Robin Hood
    Scot Gardner, Sep 21, 2003

  3. anthony

    Some Bloke Guest

    'scuse my ignorance, but I didn't think that Casablanca was out for
    another couple of months in R4 yet. Is this one out already?

    Michael D is claiming it's another couple of months away still
    (mid-November). Is someone already stocking this one?
    Some Bloke, Sep 21, 2003
  4. anthony

    whataboutme Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:41:27 +1000, Some Bloke
    <> wrote:

    >'scuse my ignorance, but I didn't think that Casablanca was out for
    >another couple of months in R4 yet. Is this one out already?
    >
    >Michael D is claiming it's another couple of months away still
    >(mid-November). Is someone already stocking this one?

    Any comments on the quality of the Casablanca SE? Does it still suffer
    from the compression problems (in the form of pixilation) that dogged
    the original DVD release?

    cheers
    Joe
    whataboutme, Sep 21, 2003
  5. anthony

    anthony Guest

    That's a good list, Scot...
    It's expensive when everything comes out at once....
    My Sept 30 list, if I can afford them, is
    Adventures of Robin Hood
    The Who - The Kids are Alright (Special Edition)
    Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders: 'The Ingenue Years' and 'In a Material World'
    Best of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore (UK Region 2)
    Edith Piaf: Hits et Legende (French Region 2)

    And I am tempted to add Fargo ... I'll see if I've got any spending money left!
    anthony, Sep 21, 2003
  6. anthony

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "whataboutme" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:41:27 +1000, Some Bloke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >'scuse my ignorance, but I didn't think that Casablanca was out
    > >for another couple of months in R4 yet. Is this one out already?
    > >
    > >Michael D is claiming it's another couple of months away still
    > >(mid-November). Is someone already stocking this one?

    > Any comments on the quality of the Casablanca SE? Does it still
    > suffer from the compression problems (in the form of pixilation)
    > that dogged the original DVD release?
    >
    > cheers
    > Joe

    I'm not sure what you are describing as "pixilation", but I did notice
    that the original _Casablanca_ had a very grainy picture, with color
    imbedded in the snow. There was also a slight tint in the old
    _Casablanca_ which was bad enough that I would kill the color when
    watching it. Sometimes, there were problems with aliasing in the earlier
    black and white picture which caused colors to shimmer around certain
    fabric patterns. All of these problems have been eliminated in the new
    _Casablanca_.

    All of the grain and edge enhancement present in the first DVD has been
    removed and as far as I'm concerned, the picture couldn't be better. The
    sound has also been fixed so that the previously loud and screeching
    music has been cleaned up and its volume more equalized with the rest of
    the soundtrack.

    The new DVD isn't as bright as the previous one, so the whites aren't as
    glaring and the contrast isn't as harsh. The black level is close to
    perfect. I consider these changes to be great improvements, but some
    people object to what they call "a lack of film-like quality. These film
    purists like to see a somewhat grainy picture and the new _Casablanca_
    has absolutely no film grain. These same people didn't think much of
    _Sunset Blvd._ or the new _All About Eve_ because -- even though they
    too were crystal clear -- these movies also lack this so-called
    film-like quality. Chances are that if you liked the picture quality of
    these two other titles, you will like the new _Casablanca_.

    The biggest difference between the two _Casablanca_ releases is in the
    opening credits where the new DVD zooms in and shows only about 90% of
    the picture information present on the previous DVD, with most of the
    missing picture information being taken from the right side and bottom.
    Once the credits end, there is still approximately 5% more over-scan in
    the new DVD, with most of the missing picture information being taken
    from the top.

    The Lauren Bacall documentary "You Must Remember This" has been
    modified: The first two minutes have been removed from the main
    featurette and can now be seen at the beginning of the movie on the new
    version if you chose this option.

    Overall, the new version of _Casablanca_ is a much better presentation
    than the previous one if you don't mind watching a picture with perfect
    contrast, stunning clarity with a complete lack of graininess. The
    commentaries are great and the supplementary material is a well worth
    seeing.
    Scot Gardner, Sep 21, 2003
  7. In article <>, whataboutme
    <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:41:27 +1000, Some Bloke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >'scuse my ignorance, but I didn't think that Casablanca was out for
    > >another couple of months in R4 yet. Is this one out already?
    > >
    > >Michael D is claiming it's another couple of months away still
    > >(mid-November). Is someone already stocking this one?

    > Any comments on the quality of the Casablanca SE? Does it still suffer
    > from the compression problems (in the form of pixilation) that dogged
    > the original DVD release?
    >
    > cheers
    > Joe

    It's a completly new transfer and looks much less granier than the
    original DVD release (which is not necessarily a great thing - see
    Citizen Kane for over digitised restoration). However, it is more than
    worth it for the extras. Note, though, that the transfer is (oddly)
    cropped on all sides compared to the previous release.
    Tallulah Blanket, Sep 21, 2003
  8. anthony

    anthony Guest

    Hi Joe
    Re release date for Casablanca --
    Yes, you're right; it's not released yet.
    But I was lucky enough to get advance discs for review on dvd.net.au,
    and I just finished watching the movie tonight -- I'll go through the
    extras tomorrow.
    It's sensational quality, as good as the Warner 'Citizen Kane' (but a
    much more enjoyable movie of course) and Warner really does seem tops
    right now in the remaster department. Can't wait to see how Warners
    restore the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies 'Top Hat' and
    'Swingtime' -- though the French DVDs of those, along with the French
    'Shall We Dance' and 'Follow the Fleet' are pretty good quality.
    anthony, Sep 21, 2003
  9. anthony

    Italo Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message

    > The new DVD isn't as bright as the previous one, so the whites aren't as
    > glaring and the contrast isn't as harsh. The black level is close to
    > perfect. I consider these changes to be great improvements, but some
    > people object to what they call "a lack of film-like quality. These film
    > purists like to see a somewhat grainy picture and the new _Casablanca_
    > has absolutely no film grain. These same people didn't think much of
    > _Sunset Blvd._ or the new _All About Eve_ because -- even though they
    > too were crystal clear -- these movies also lack this so-called
    > film-like quality. Chances are that if you liked the picture quality of
    > these two other titles, you will like the new _Casablanca_.

    Since Casablanca was shot on 35mm film and 'if' they're using a good print
    to master from, there should be no 'grain' present at all when the movie is
    transferred to DVD, especially when viewed on a 32" TV. Unless of course a
    generation-removed print is used in which case it's hardly the 'original'
    presentation or they stuff up the mastering.

    --
    Italo
    Italo, Sep 21, 2003