    however I cannot figure out which way the wire connect to each other
    and also to the desktop. Can anyone help?
    , Nov 26, 2005

  2. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an Advent 3117 and cannot find the setup sheet.
    > I am having trouble connecting the speakers / monitor to the desktop.
    > The problem is that sound come from both the monitor and speakers,
    > however I cannot figure out which way the wire connect to each other
    > and also to the desktop. Can anyone help?

    Stu

    Not familiar with the Advent "3117" but from your description it sounds like
    you have speakers in your monitor 'and' other external speakers (2? 3? 4?
    you don't say)

    If it conforms to the 'normal' connection standards at the back of the
    System Box will be 3 sockets nominally marked Mic (pink) Line In (blue)
    Green (Speaker Out)

    One connection set up would be to connect the Green output to 'either' the
    monitor speakers 'or' 2 of the other external speakers.
    This will give you normal 'stereo'

    The other possibility is if your sound card can go into '6 channel' mode
    (front L, R & center, rear L & R, Subwoofer) you can plug your monitor into
    the green sockets for your front L & R then the other external speakers into
    the blue line in and pink mic sockets to give you the other (rear, centre &
    subwoofer) outputs.
    You will 'have' to read the documentation that came with you PC to determine
    how to switch it to 6 channel mode and for which socket becomes which
    output.
    A lot of sound chipsets will switch automatically to output mode when they
    sense a speaker plugged into the socket.

    This page gives you some idea http://www.aopen.nl/tech/techinside/5.1C.htm

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Nov 26, 2005