    Thanks.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Sep 10, 2004

  2. JTJersey

    Jim Berwick Guest

    JTJersey <> wrote in news:d%n0d.88945$pQ4.72399
    @fe06.usenetserver.com:

    > I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital 10,000rpm Serial ATA drive to
    > take advantage of the speed increase. The Mainboard I'm looking at
    > supports the SATA drive, but I've no experience with these units. Is
    > anyone running one and are they worth the effort?

    Generally no drives can take advantage of the extra bandwith offered by
    SATA over ATA133. But the drive you have there is still a nice one, and
    will perform great.

    Jim Berwick, Sep 10, 2004

  3. JTJersey

    VWWall Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital 10,000rpm Serial ATA drive to
    > take advantage of the speed increase. The Mainboard I'm looking at
    > supports the SATA drive, but I've no experience with these units. Is
    > anyone running one and are they worth the effort?

    The advantage is due to the 10,000rpm rather than the SATA
    configuration. The thinner cables and no jumpers to set are also
    advantages. You won't get near the 150GB SATA thru-put however.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    VWWall, Sep 10, 2004
  4. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > JTJersey <> wrote in news:d%n0d.88945$pQ4.72399
    > @fe06.usenetserver.com:
    >
    > > I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital 10,000rpm Serial ATA drive to
    > > take advantage of the speed increase. The Mainboard I'm looking at
    > > supports the SATA drive, but I've no experience with these units. Is
    > > anyone running one and are they worth the effort?

    > Generally no drives can take advantage of the extra bandwith offered by
    > SATA over ATA133. But the drive you have there is still a nice one, and
    > will perform great.

    If the SATA drive supports native command queuing (as many are now beginning
    to), that can be a distinct advantage.

    Thor, Sep 10, 2004