    48port blade for the trunk link. I ask be/c we have not yet acquired the
    gbics for the sup720 1000base-T ports.

    -TIA
    John Smith, Mar 8, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    John Smith <> wrote:
    :i need to trunk two 6509's together, both w/ sup720's.
    :My question is what is the advantage of using one (or both) of the
    :1000base-t ports on the sup720's vs using a 10/100/1000 port on a regular
    :48port blade for the trunk link.

    The 48 port blade is oversubscribed -- the maximum throughput
    possible from the blade to the backplane is:
    - Classic interface: 32 Gbps shared bus
    - Cef256: 8 Gbps per slot, 32 Gbps shared bus
    - Cef720: dual 20 Gbps per slot (40 Gbps total)

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e.html

    Thus if you run off the blade, then whether you can get full
    throughput or not depends upon the kind of blade you have and depends
    upon how you have populated and are utilizing the blade. Different
    48 port blades have different ways of handling oversubscription;
    for example, some of them have one 1 Gbps link for every 6 ports,
    and cannot make use of "spare bandwidth" on the other port groups.
    --
    Are we *there* yet??
    Walter Roberson, Mar 8, 2005

  3. John Smith

    bits Guest

    I would also look at blades from the perspective of buffer size for each
    port. Also it is important to understand your application transaction flow
    in a web commerce environment to figure out the amount of traffic that will
    need to traverse between blades in the same chassis. The mix of classic
    cards and non-classic cards in the same chassis should be considered so you
    can consider the amount of packets that needs to traverse the local bus. If
    you have Sup720B or better you can see the traffic utilization on the local
    bus. Keep in mind if you use CSMs for load-balancing they are classic cards.
    Distributing servers across ASICs is something to be considered if you don't
    need all the ports per blade.

    bits, Mar 16, 2005