    to my main router, is this plausable?

    Thanks,
    Shawn

    Shawnmb, Apr 16, 2006

  2. Shawnmb

    Malke Guest

    Shawnmb wrote:

    > In short, I'm looking to get a second wireless router for this room to
    > use as an access point of sorts. This router should connect wirelessly
    > to my main router, is this plausable?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shawn

    Yes, but why not just buy a wireless access point? If you do buy a
    router instead of an access point, turn off DHCP on it and assign it a
    static IP. Most router mftr.'s have instructions on their websites how
    to do this.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Apr 16, 2006

  3. Shawnmb

    GTS Guest

    Some wireless routers have a bridge mode that can do this, but others do
    not. What is it you really want to do?

    GTS, Apr 16, 2006
  4. Shawnmb

    Shawnmb Guest

    Shawnmb, Apr 16, 2006
  5. Shawnmb

    Jack Guest

    Best and cheapest solution would be few Wireless Cable/DSL Router connected
    between them with cable, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    If one is allergic ;) to CATS (Cat5e) then the solution is WDS (
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ).

    As far as the Brand name devices go, out of the box, Buffalo Tech. and some
    of the Belkin 802.11g line of Wireless Router are WDS. Flashable Linksys
    WRT54g can be made with 3rd party firmware WDS as well.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Shawnmb

    Eugene Guest

    FYI

    You should stray away from mixing and matching different manfacturer's
    product unless you know what you are doing.. In my experience, some times
    you run into little problems that you will tear your hair out trying to
    figure out.(i.e, linksys use's a passphrase, where as buffalo don't.
    Sometimes they won't work together)-as you know Buffalo won't support
    Linksys and Linksys won't support Buffalo, so you will be left with trying
    to find someone in a forum or news group who can show you how.

    Eugene, May 9, 2006