Advanced: create combo SVCD (or MPEG4) and PictureCD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TowXWang@umich.edu, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Guest

    [Please follow up to "alt.video.dvd" only, thanks.]

    Hello.

    I want to create a super multimedia CD containing video clips and
    pictures, and have questions about arranging the contents and directory
    structures. I intend to distribute this to friends and family; not all of
    them are technically inclined.

    1) I have yet to decide whether to make the video content in SVCD or XVID
    format. VideoHelp.com indicates that 78% of DVD players tested there can
    handle SVCD. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether SVCD is a
    practical format, likely to be playable by stand-alone players? Most
    players owned by my intended audience were manufactured in the late 1990s.

    2) If the answer to 1 is "no", then I may as well make the video in XVID
    format; better quality or more content in the same amount of storage
    space. Question is, do the few stand-alone players out there (Kiss,
    Philips) that play MPEG4 require any special directory structure? Do I
    generate AVI files and save them into any directory I choose? Do those
    stand-alone players let you navigate directories in an ISO file system?

    3) Do those MPEG4 stand-alone players play AVI files containing XVID
    generated content? I know how to use VirtualDub, AVIMux, DVD2SVCD and
    associated tools; if there are any special settings I need to make, I'd
    really appreciate some foresight!

    4) I also want to throw a bunch of pictures into the remaining space of
    those CDs, and if possible, I'd like to arrange the file system so that
    those pictures are viewable using stand-alone "photo to TV players". Is
    this a standard called "Kodak PictureCD", and is it true that the images
    are simply in JPEG format? Where can I get information or specs about
    this, such as naming conventions for directories, maximum resolution and
    color depth for the images, etc.?

    5) I understand that storing images in JPEG format is better than in
    VCD/DVD still image format, because the former has higher resolution and
    can potentially save disk space depending on compression settings. Is this
    correct?

    Thanks for all input!

    Tow

    If you see a 'X' in my address, please remove it before e-mailing me.
    Do not add me to any MicroSoft address book; let's stop the viruses.
    Do not send me unsolicited mail. I track and report spammers.

    The FAQ files v1.21 for the Tropez, and v1.01 for the TBS-2001 sound
    boards can be obtained from:
    http://www.landfield.com/faqs/PCsoundcards/
    http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~mccreary/tbeach/faq.html
    http://www.pasteur.fr/infosci/FAQ/PCsoundcards/
    http://faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc.html

    , Aug 12, 2004

  3. goPostal Guest

    Re: how to create combo SVCD (or MPEG4) and PictureCD?

    <> wrote in message
    > [Please follow up to "alt.video.dvd" only, sorry for the cross-posting.]
    >
    > Hello.
    >
    > I want to create a super multimedia CD containing video clips and
    > pictures, and have questions about arranging the contents and directory
    > structures. I intend to distribute this to friends and family; not all of
    > them are technically inclined.
    >
    > 1) I have yet to decide whether to make the video content in SVCD or XVID
    > format. VideoHelp.com indicates that 78% of DVD players tested there can
    > handle SVCD. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether SVCD is a
    > practical format, likely to be playable by stand-alone players? Most
    > players owned by my intended audience were manufactured in the late 1990s.
    >
    > 2) If the answer to 1 is "no", then I may as well make the video in XVID
    > format; better quality or more content in the same amount of storage
    > space. Question is, do the few stand-alone players out there (Kiss,
    > Philips) that play MPEG4 require any special directory structure? Do I
    > generate AVI files and save them into any directory I choose? Do those
    > stand-alone players let you navigate directories in an ISO file system?
    >
    > 3) Do those MPEG4 stand-alone players play AVI files containing XVID
    > generated content? I know how to use VirtualDub, AVIMux, DVD2SVCD and
    > associated tools; if there are any special settings I need to make, I'd
    > really appreciate some foresight!
    >
    > 4) I also want to throw a bunch of pictures into the remaining space of
    > those CDs, and if possible, I'd like to arrange the file system so that
    > those pictures are viewable using stand-alone "photo to TV players". Is
    > this a standard called "Kodak PictureCD", and is it true that the images
    > are simply in JPEG format? Where can I get information or specs about
    > this, such as naming conventions for directories, maximum resolution and
    > color depth for the images, etc.?
    >
    > 5) I understand that storing images in JPEG format is better than in
    > VCD/DVD still image format, because the former has higher resolution and
    > can potentially save disk space depending on compression settings. Is this
    > correct?
    >
    > Thanks for all input!
    >
    > Tow

    You afraid of Google, or should we just do it all for you?

    goPostal, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Billy Joe Guest

    wrote:
    > [Please follow up to "alt.video.dvd" only, sorry for the
    > cross-posting.]
    >
    > Hello.
    >
    > I want to create a super multimedia CD containing video clips
    > and
    > pictures, and have questions about arranging the contents and
    > directory structures. I intend to distribute this to friends
    > and family; not all of
    > them are technically inclined.
    >
    > 1) I have yet to decide whether to make the video content in
    > SVCD or XVID format. VideoHelp.com indicates that 78% of DVD
    > players tested there can handle SVCD. Does anybody have an
    > opinion as to whether SVCD is a
    > practical format, likely to be playable by stand-alone
    > players? Most
    > players owned by my intended audience were manufactured in
    > the late 1990s.

    Your friends and rels could well be 100% in the 22%!! I know far more
    people whose players can not handle SVCD than can.

    > 2) If the answer to 1 is "no", then I may as well make the
    > video in XVID format; better quality or more content in the
    > same amount of storage
    > space. Question is, do the few stand-alone players out there
    > (Kiss,
    > Philips) that play MPEG4 require any special directory
    > structure? Do I generate AVI files and save them into any
    > directory I choose? Do those stand-alone players let you
    > navigate directories in an ISO file system?

    Well, first, there are even fewer players equipped thus. However, the
    price is becoming so reasonable and the features so desirable, that
    your project could encourage others to take the plunge!!

    I can speak for the Philips DVP642/37 and the LiteOn 2001 v302, yes
    both support folder navigation.

    Caveat: They both also seem to be aware of everything that's in all
    folders at start up. The Philips hangs when file extensions it does
    not recognize are contained. I only come to this conclusion because,
    when testing subtitles on both units, I had both SUB & SRT types in
    some folders. Both players only support SRT types. The Philips hung,
    the LiteOn ignored them. Presenting the Philips with folders
    containing only AVI & SRT files, it worked properly.

    > 3) Do those MPEG4 stand-alone players play AVI files
    > containing XVID
    > generated content? I know how to use VirtualDub, AVIMux,
    > DVD2SVCD and associated tools; if there are any special
    > settings I need to make, I'd
    > really appreciate some foresight!

    Yes to XVID - tho their support seems DIVX oriented (perhaps because
    they have paid a license fee for it?) Still, there are some
    weaknesses in both players for some DIVX 3.11 encodings. Both also
    support AC3 audio in XVID/DIVX AVI files.

    As far as special settings go, the Philips does not handle
    deinterlaced video as well as the LiteOn, otherwise they're
    indistinguishable except for the way they fail on some (not
    necessarily the same) 3.11 or XVID files. The fault is not in the
    file's video encoding, as a file which fails on one plays on the other
    and vice versa. The failures seem more prevalent at lower a/v bit
    rates, but my sample is too small to be certain.

    > 4) I also want to throw a bunch of pictures into the
    > remaining space of
    > those CDs, and if possible, I'd like to arrange the file
    > system so that
    > those pictures are viewable using stand-alone "photo to TV
    > players".

    No idea if this will work, as now we'd need to know if these devices
    ignore unrecognized file structures?

    > Is
    > this a standard called "Kodak PictureCD", and is it true that
    > the images
    > are simply in JPEG format? Where can I get information or
    > specs about
    > this, such as naming conventions for directories, maximum
    > resolution and
    > color depth for the images, etc.?

    JPEG still pictures display quite well from both these players.
    Although I've not tried picture/music combos, I believe one or the
    other or both may now support this? The LiteOn certainly did not in
    prior firmware releases.

    Also, I've not yet loaded a disc containing all supported file types
    using the latest firmware, but I suspect this would not be a problem.
    For example, in earlier releases of firmware, the LiteOn happily
    switched between AVIs in one folder and MP3s in another.

    > 5) I understand that storing images in JPEG format is better
    > than in
    > VCD/DVD still image format, because the former has higher
    > resolution and
    > can potentially save disk space depending on compression
    > settings. Is this correct?

    Yes! Pictures larger than TV screen size are scaled properly. So
    there is an added advantage that you don't need to scale to the least
    common denominator.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Sheppy Guest

    Re: how to create combo SVCD (or MPEG4) and PictureCD?

    The best format would be DVD, and this would easily support all of the
    features your asking for, as to the SVCD - that would be harder to do, if
    you create the disc the file would only be playable on PC's, you can also
    include the codec for playing back the file on the disc too.

    ASFAIK SVCD's rarely allow multiple menus, only one menu item is normally
    allowed; and the simplest and easiest program to do what your after would be
    Ulead VideoStudio or MovieFactory.

    DVD Burners & discs are cheap now - so that's a better option.

    Sheppy, Aug 19, 2004
  6. francisco dania, Aug 20, 2004