    something else we can do to NOT have to reinstall their wireless
    whenever they wish to connect to a different router or network?
    , Aug 11, 2005

  2. JackBMG Guest

    I have been dealing with this problem for a year now and the only
    reliable way I can find to fix this (temporarily) is to uninstall the
    wireless driver in safe mode, then scan for hardware changes and then
    reboot..basically what you are doing now. There are a lot of posts
    about this problem on other sites with no answers.
    This problem starts when I connect to a different wireless access
    point. Once I have this working on one network, it will continue to
    work (well, most of the time). But once I hit another WAP, I may hit
    the problem, or connect successfully. Either way (whether I succeed,
    or then go thru the process of uninstalling/reinstalling my driver),
    once I go back to my other network, the problem occurs. This seems to
    indicate corruption of the driver.
    I have ruled out the Wireless Zero Configuration in admin tools
    services - I set it to manual, restarted, and still had the same
    problem. You'll see posts indicating that this is a way to fix it... I
    disagree.
    I think this is an issue with the driver itself: mine is an Intel
    "High Rate Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Adapter with Modem II". I have tried
    to update the driver in the past with no luck and probably should focus
    on that a bit more. I'll keep you posted.
    If anyone has any answers, please post and email...
    This is not a firewall, spyware, virus issue..i have ruled all of this
    out. I'm also running XP Pro - SP1

    --
    JackBMG
    JackBMG, Sep 2, 2005