Advanced boot options

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Wasted, Jun 15, 2008.

  1. Wasted

    Wasted Guest

    Hi

    New computer - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz, Windows 64 bit Home Premium,
    8GB RAM

    Have been having trouble getting decent graphics out of Google Earth, and
    saw in support forums a suggestion to go to advanced boot options and
    restrict max memory to 3000MB. Did so, didn't improve anything, so reverted
    to as was, but a couple or so questions arise to help in my learning if
    someone wouldn't mind.

    First - if it had worked, would that have meant 5GB of my RAM would have
    been unavailable to all software?

    Second - on the same settings screen, there is a setting that says "Number
    of processors" 1. Is that right, or should the four cores show there? (I
    suspect that is going to be a stupid question!)

    Third - other settings are "PCI lock" and "Detect HAL" - they are both
    unchecked - what are they for, and should they be unchecked? I tried
    Googling, but couldn't spot a simple explanation.

    Many thanks

    Wasted, Jun 15, 2008

  2. Wasted

    Carlos Guest

    Wasted,
    You may find some answers here:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/vista/7515418/7515418su73.shtml

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 15, 2008

  3. Hello,
    Carlos is right with the switch to reduce the memory available to Windows ,
    the rest of the memory is wasted. This switch is used to test memory
    configurations without having to remove memory from the machine.
    The processor switch is used to reduce the number of processors that are
    used by Windows. The drop down box starts at one, if you check the box the
    drop down list should show the option to reduce the processors available
    for Windows. This isn't a count of available processors.
    Detect Hal is used during deployments, This allows the OS to detect the
    hal used by the system and install the correct hal when deploying Windows
    Vista.
    The link Carlos included explains the PCI lock switch.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 16, 2008
  4. Wasted

    Wasted Guest

    ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Carlos is right with the switch to reduce the memory available to Windows
    > ,
    > the rest of the memory is wasted. This switch is used to test memory
    > configurations without having to remove memory from the machine.
    > The processor switch is used to reduce the number of processors that are
    > used by Windows. The drop down box starts at one, if you check the box
    > the
    > drop down list should show the option to reduce the processors available
    > for Windows. This isn't a count of available processors.
    > Detect Hal is used during deployments, This allows the OS to detect the
    > hal used by the system and install the correct hal when deploying Windows
    > Vista.
    > The link Carlos included explains the PCI lock switch.
    > Thanks,
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    > --------------------
    > | >From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= <>
    > | >Subject: RE: Advanced boot options
    > | >Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 08:46:00 -0700
    > | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    > | >
    > | >Wasted,
    > | >You may find some answers here:
    > |
    >>http://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/vista/7515418/7515418su73.sh

    > tml
    > | >
    > | >Carlos

    > Premium,

    > and
    > reverted
    > if

    > have

    > "Number
    > (I

    > both

    Thanks for that info.

    Wasted, Jun 16, 2008
  5. Wasted

    Wasted Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Wasted,
    > You may find some answers here:
    > http://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/vista/7515418/7515418su73.shtml
    >
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Wasted" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> New computer - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz, Windows 64 bit Home
    >> Premium,
    >> 8GB RAM
    >>
    >> Have been having trouble getting decent graphics out of Google Earth, and
    >> saw in support forums a suggestion to go to advanced boot options and
    >> restrict max memory to 3000MB. Did so, didn't improve anything, so
    >> reverted
    >> to as was, but a couple or so questions arise to help in my learning if
    >> someone wouldn't mind.
    >>
    >> First - if it had worked, would that have meant 5GB of my RAM would have
    >> been unavailable to all software?
    >>
    >> Second - on the same settings screen, there is a setting that says
    >> "Number
    >> of processors" 1. Is that right, or should the four cores show there? (I
    >> suspect that is going to be a stupid question!)
    >>
    >> Third - other settings are "PCI lock" and "Detect HAL" - they are both
    >> unchecked - what are they for, and should they be unchecked? I tried
    >> Googling, but couldn't spot a simple explanation.
    >>
    >> Many thanks

    Thanks

    Wasted, Jun 16, 2008