ADV: Linux help offered

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Lowrie, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Peter Lowrie

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    In 13 years of using Linux, guess how many viruses, trojans, spyware,
    adware, malware and other assorted computer nasties I've suffered? Hazard a
    guess how many times a hard disk has been trashed by the system?

    This many: Zip, zero, none, 0, nihilo, nada, {}.

    Why fight it folks? Linux is the only way to endure peace of mind and a
    thoroughly enjoyable computing experience. It's easy to set up, it's easy
    to operate and the best part of all is that it is free. It comes with
    thousands of fully fledged programmes so that there is nothing you cannot
    do.

    Enjoy your computing experience the way it was meant to be, hit the link
    below!

    --
    Regards,
    Peter.

    Peter Lowrie, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Peter Lowrie

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:01:56 +1300, Peter Lowrie wrote:

    Peter, you should know better than to advertise in this group. If you are
    allowed to, then so am I.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #434593 +(5044)- [X]

    *** Topic in #doghouse is 'Our hearts are extended to the 17 victims of the
    recent internet fraud'
    * Anubis has joined #doghouse
    <Anubis> what fraud?
    <Kadmium> You haven't heard about it?
    <Anubis> no?
    <Kadmium> You can read the full story at http://www.tubgirl.com
    <Anubis> omg wtf!
    *** Kadmium changes topic to 'Our hearts are extended to the 18 victims of
    the recent internet fraud'

    Note: All my comments are copyright 15/10/2005 12:22:19 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Peter Lowrie

    thingy Guest

    Peter Lowrie wrote:
    > In 13 years of using Linux, guess how many viruses, trojans, spyware,
    > adware, malware and other assorted computer nasties I've suffered? Hazard a
    > guess how many times a hard disk has been trashed by the system?
    >
    > This many: Zip, zero, none, 0, nihilo, nada, {}.
    >
    > Why fight it folks? Linux is the only way to endure peace of mind and a
    > thoroughly enjoyable computing experience. It's easy to set up, it's easy
    > to operate and the best part of all is that it is free. It comes with
    > thousands of fully fledged programmes so that there is nothing you cannot
    > do.
    >
    > Enjoy your computing experience the way it was meant to be, hit the link
    > below!

    As a compromise ie For ease of use though, buy a Mac.

    Lots of people like Windows because it comes pre-installed, if it blew
    up I suspect many would find it as hard if not harder than Linux to
    install.....but neitehr is easy for most people.

    Macs are pretty secure and offer acceptable security, Im advising my
    family as they ask to go Mac....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Peter Lowrie

    EMB Guest

    Peter Lowrie <> wrote:

    > Enjoy your computing experience the way it was meant to be, hit the link
    > below!

    Peter

    You've been around long enough to know better than to spam this
    newsgroup. Not pissing off the locals here might just help the amount
    of interest generated by your other projects. Think about it... and
    then apologise.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Peter Lowrie

    Bob McLellan Guest

    I can say the same for OS/2

    Bob McLellan, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Peter Lowrie

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, Peter Lowrie <> wrote:
    >In 13 years of using Linux, guess how many viruses, trojans, spyware,
    >adware, malware and other assorted computer nasties I've suffered? Hazard a
    >guess how many times a hard disk has been trashed by the system?

    After using Win (&Dos) since ver3.1 guess how many viruses trojans Ive had
    Nill zero nada zilch
    Since using Xp how many times has the system been trashed, nil zero nada
    See just how good Xp can be with a bit of common sense

    Using Linux guess how many times Ive trashed the sytem & had to reload Linux,
    Twice.

    Main problem with Win is that people play with it & load every program they
    can possibly find onto the system
    Using linux you cant stuff things up ONLY BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE AN EXPERT
    TO LOAD PROGRAMS ONTO IT.
    This makes Linux worthless for the avergae PC user.
    Do you really want to pay someone $90 an hour to load basic programs onto it

    S Roby, Oct 15, 2005
  7. Peter Lowrie

    Stu Fleming Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > Using linux you cant stuff things up ONLY BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE AN EXPERT
    > TO LOAD PROGRAMS ONTO IT.

    Good rule.
    And if you _are_ an expert, you _can_ stuff the system up beyond
    recognition and repair with Linux. Who would have thought that
    uninstalling a previous version of firefox from /usr/bin would do _that_
    ....?

    Stu Fleming, Oct 15, 2005
  8. Peter Lowrie

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 23:21:39 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >In article <>, Peter Lowrie <> wrote:
    >>In 13 years of using Linux, guess how many viruses, trojans, spyware,
    >>adware, malware and other assorted computer nasties I've suffered? Hazard a
    >>guess how many times a hard disk has been trashed by the system?

    >After using Win (&Dos) since ver3.1 guess how many viruses trojans Ive had
    >Nill zero nada zilch
    >Since using Xp how many times has the system been trashed, nil zero nada
    >See just how good Xp can be with a bit of common sense

    "system been trashed"

    >Using Linux guess how many times Ive trashed the sytem & had to reload Linux,
    >Twice.

    You "trashed the sytem"

    >Main problem with Win is that people play with it & load every program they
    >can possibly find onto the system
    >Using linux you cant stuff things up ONLY BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE AN EXPERT
    >TO LOAD PROGRAMS ONTO IT.
    >This makes Linux worthless for the avergae PC user.
    >Do you really want to pay someone $90 an hour to load basic programs onto it

    I think you should , you obviously don't know what you are doing :)

    Bret, Oct 15, 2005
  9. Peter Lowrie

    shannon Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    >>>Using Linux guess how many times Ive trashed the sytem & had to reload Linux,
    >>>Twice.

    >>You "trashed the sytem"
    >>

    > but but but Linux is soooo reliable, it has NO BUGS & couldnt be trashed

    It didn't breal by itself did it ?

    shannon, Oct 15, 2005
  10. Peter Lowrie

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Oct 15, 2005
  11. Peter Lowrie

    shannon Guest

    shannon wrote:

    >>> You "trashed the sytem"
    >>>

    >> but but but Linux is soooo reliable, it has NO BUGS & couldnt be trashed

    > It didn't breal by itself did it ?

    or even break all by itself

    shannon, Oct 15, 2005
  12. Peter Lowrie

    Mercury Guest

    Re: Linux help offered

    In over a decade of using Windows, guess how many viruses, trojans, spyware,
    adware, malware and other assorted computer nasties I've suffered? Hazard a
    guess how many times a hard disk has been trashed by the system?

    This many: none - on the many system I have now and have had.

    A happy IE user.

    Mercury, Oct 15, 2005
  13. Peter Lowrie

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Peter Lowrie <> wrote:
    >
    >> Enjoy your computing experience the way it was meant to be, hit the link
    >> below!

    > Peter
    >
    > You've been around long enough to know better than to spam this
    > newsgroup. Not pissing off the locals here might just help the amount
    > of interest generated by your other projects. Think about it... and
    > then apologise.

    Get real, you can see from the header it's an ad. It's not spam in that it's
    only been uploaded to this one group.

    Thank you.

    --
    Regards,
    Peter.

    Peter Lowrie, Oct 15, 2005
  14. Peter Lowrie

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > As a compromise ie For ease of use though, buy a Mac.

    Too right, a very good choice indeed.

    > Lots of people like Windows because it comes pre-installed, if it blew

    Choice, what choice?

    > Macs are pretty secure and offer acceptable security, Im advising my
    > family as they ask to go Mac....

    You can't go wrong buying a Mac!

    --
    Regards,
    Peter.

    Peter Lowrie, Oct 15, 2005
  15. Peter Lowrie

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:01:56 +1300, Peter Lowrie wrote:
    >
    > Peter, you should know better than to advertise in this group. If you are
    > allowed to, then so am I.

    Do what pleases you, Brendan.

    --
    Regards,
    Peter.

    Peter Lowrie, Oct 15, 2005
  16. Peter Lowrie

    Jennings Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:22:30 +1300, Peter Lowrie wrote:

    > Get real, you can see from the header it's an ad. It's not spam in that it's
    > only been uploaded to this one group.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Its a poor troll post at the worst followed up with a link to your
    business home page where you sell linux services...

    Smells like spam ... looks like spam ...

    Your free advertising doesn't belong in here ...

    J ...

    Jennings, Oct 15, 2005
  17. Peter Lowrie

    Jennings Guest

    Re: Linux help offered

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:32:21 +1300, Mercury wrote:

    > In over a decade of using Windows, guess how many viruses, trojans, spyware,
    > adware, malware and other assorted computer nasties I've suffered? Hazard a
    > guess how many times a hard disk has been trashed by the system?
    >
    > This many: none - on the many system I have now and have had.
    >
    > A happy IE user.

    Ive had 2 viruses in 10 years ,,,

    One that got past free agent ..

    2nd via winarar ... my fault 100 % .

    So in 10 years @ 4 hrs work reloading windows versus learning and
    installing linux ... and having to go thru the constant churn of linux
    distro`s.

    Hmmmm it just doesnt make break even in the next 10 years .

    Which is why i dont bother pushing linux onto my friends.

    Jennings, Oct 15, 2005
  18. Peter Lowrie

    Mercury Guest

    Re: Linux help offered

    I don't have AV most of the time...

    Mercury, Oct 15, 2005
  19. Peter Lowrie

    mark Guest

    EMB <> wrote in news:dip0to$3hs$:

    > Subject: Re: ADV: Linux help offered
    > From: EMB <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > Peter Lowrie <> wrote:
    >
    >> Enjoy your computing experience the way it was meant to be, hit the link
    >> below!

    > Peter
    >
    > You've been around long enough to know better than to spam this
    > newsgroup. Not pissing off the locals here might just help the amount
    > of interest generated by your other projects. Think about it... and
    > then apologise.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Do what any sane person does when they get spammed: add him to your
    killfile.

    mark, Oct 15, 2005
  20. Peter Lowrie

    Jennings Guest

    Re: Linux help offered

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:24:43 +1300, Mercury wrote:

    > I don't have AV most of the time...

    I guess if your careful you could do exactly that ..

    cheers ..

    Jennings, Oct 15, 2005