ADSL2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.stuff.co.nz//3949271a28.html

    If you're like me and stuff takes eons to load (if at all) then heres the
    entire text:

    Superfast broadband in March

    Telecom will launch superfast ADSL2+ broadband in New Zealand next month,
    nine months later than it first intended. Tom Pullar-Strecker reports.

    Spokeswoman Melanie Marshall says the first ADSL2+ phone exchange will go
    live in March. Telecom will meet with wholesale customers this week to
    consult them on where and when it should roll out the technology after
    that.

    ADSL2+ promises to let people download information from the internet up to
    three times faster than they can today. However, only about half of
    broadband subscribers are likely to benefit, as customers need to be no
    more than four kilometres from an ADSL2+-enabled telephone exchange to see
    an improvement.

    Telecom announced last April that it had placed an initial order worth $150
    million to $170 million for ADSL2+ access and Ethernet backhaul equipment
    with French contractor Alcatel. It intended to begin trialling the
    technology within three months.

    Alcatel's Asia Pacific chief technology officer, Ric Clark, said then that
    customers within 1½ kilometres of an exchange could have download speeds of
    12 megabits a second.

    The practical benefit of ADSL2+ is that it will let Telecom and its
    wholesale customers stream TV-quality video over the internet in real-time,
    paving the way for possible convergence of the television broadcasting and
    the telecommunications industries.

    Telecom's general manager of video services, Philip King, says by the end of
    the year testing should begin of set-top boxes that will let customers
    watch programmes broadcast by Freeview over its digital terrestrial
    television network or downloaded over the internet via ADSL2+.

    The boxes should go on sale during the first half of next year.

    Telecom is talking to content companies to explore new services that could
    be brought to market.

    It is still investigating which of a range of rival IPTV platforms it will
    use.

    France Telecom recently entered the movie business, setting up a company to
    be involved in producing French and European movies. It will acquire rights
    to films.

    Mr King doubts Telecom will become as involved in creating content and says
    partnering with players such as Sky TV is more likely.

    "We have to be careful in a market of four million people.

    "The economics of a country like France are different and they have specific
    language issues which we don't have."

    Moves by Freeview to put ADSL2+-enabled set-top boxes into homes has pitched
    the free-to-air consortium into direct competition with Sky, which also
    plans to launch its own net-connected set-top boxes early in 2008.

    Shane, Feb 4, 2007

  2. Shane

    whome Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz//3949271a28.html
    >
    > If you're like me and stuff takes eons to load (if at all) then heres the
    > entire text:
    >
    > Superfast broadband in March
    >
    > Telecom will launch superfast ADSL2+ broadband in New Zealand next month,
    > nine months later than it first intended. Tom Pullar-Strecker reports.

    Now, my broadband is currently FS/FS meaning I should in theory get up to
    6mbps or around there.

    However, I only get 2mbps cos of contention ratios. It occasionally goes up
    to 4mbps but very rarely.

    So, who cares if the max limit is raised? I cannot even reach the existing
    maximum limit so won't the same factors stop me reaching the max under
    ADSL2+? ie, if the backend is only capable of delivering 2mbps on average
    then increasing the speed between me and the exchange won't help a jot.

    whome, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Shane

    Zipper Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz//3949271a28.html
    >
    > If you're like me and stuff takes eons to load (if at all) then heres the
    > entire text:

    It should have been vdsl2...

    Zipper, Feb 4, 2007
  4. Shane wrote:
    > Telecom's general manager of video services, Philip King, says by the end of
    > the year testing should begin of set-top boxes that will let customers
    > watch programmes broadcast by Freeview over its digital terrestrial
    > television network or downloaded over the internet via ADSL2+.
    >
    > The boxes should go on sale during the first half of next year.

    I doubt that IPTV is going to be a serious contender here. First of all,
    FreeView will launch this year via DVB-S, and the rollout of DVB-T will
    commence next year. Do we really need a third delivery mechanism for the
    same programming?

    It is DVB-T you will find built in to your new television, not IPTV, and
    probably not DVB-S (although there are some with both).

    The Internet might offer some enhanced features, like Video on Demand,
    but it will also offer more snooping by content providers to see what
    you really do watch. Long term, think targeted advertising and your
    information being sold to third parties.

    My biggest concern with this technology is the shit state of Telecom
    copper. They can't keep my ADSL connection up for more than a few days,
    and outages of many hours are not uncommon. What do people do when they
    can't get on the Internet? Watch television? Won't be able to if they
    rely on this technology. The birth rate will go up every time Telecom
    has an outage.

    As it is, I don't watch movies on Sky Boxoffice because it costs too
    much, and I'm sure the convenience of being able to watch a movie on
    demand will come at a similar stupidly inflated price.

    I don't want my media merged in to one box. The PC is for Internet
    access, not the television.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Feb 5, 2007
  5. Shane

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:58:40 +1300, Zipper <> wrote:

    >Shane wrote:
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz//3949271a28.html
    >>
    >> If you're like me and stuff takes eons to load (if at all) then heres the
    >> entire text:

    >It should have been vdsl2...

    That would make more sense.

    GraB, Feb 5, 2007
  6. Shane

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:32:49 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    wrote:

    >http://www.stuff.co.nz//3949271a28.html
    >
    >If you're like me and stuff takes eons to load (if at all) then heres the
    >entire text:
    >
    >Superfast broadband in March
    >
    >Telecom will launch superfast ADSL2+ broadband in New Zealand next month,
    >nine months later than it first intended. Tom Pullar-Strecker reports.
    >
    >Spokeswoman Melanie Marshall says the first ADSL2+ phone exchange will go
    >live in March. Telecom will meet with wholesale customers this week to
    >consult them on where and when it should roll out the technology after
    >that.
    >
    >ADSL2+ promises to let people download information from the internet up to
    >three times faster than they can today. However, only about half of
    >broadband subscribers are likely to benefit, as customers need to be no
    >more than four kilometres from an ADSL2+-enabled telephone exchange to see
    >an improvement.
    >
    >Telecom announced last April that it had placed an initial order worth $150
    >million to $170 million for ADSL2+ access and Ethernet backhaul equipment
    >with French contractor Alcatel. It intended to begin trialling the
    >technology within three months.
    >
    >Alcatel's Asia Pacific chief technology officer, Ric Clark, said then that
    >customers within 1½ kilometres of an exchange could have download speeds of
    >12 megabits a second.
    >
    >The practical benefit of ADSL2+ is that it will let Telecom and its
    >wholesale customers stream TV-quality video over the internet in real-time,
    >paving the way for possible convergence of the television broadcasting and
    >the telecommunications industries.
    >
    >Telecom's general manager of video services, Philip King, says by the end of
    >the year testing should begin of set-top boxes that will let customers
    >watch programmes broadcast by Freeview over its digital terrestrial
    >television network or downloaded over the internet via ADSL2+.
    >
    >The boxes should go on sale during the first half of next year.
    >
    >Telecom is talking to content companies to explore new services that could
    >be brought to market.
    >
    >It is still investigating which of a range of rival IPTV platforms it will
    >use.
    >
    >France Telecom recently entered the movie business, setting up a company to
    >be involved in producing French and European movies. It will acquire rights
    >to films.
    >
    >Mr King doubts Telecom will become as involved in creating content and says
    >partnering with players such as Sky TV is more likely.
    >
    >"We have to be careful in a market of four million people.
    >
    >"The economics of a country like France are different and they have specific
    >language issues which we don't have."
    >
    >Moves by Freeview to put ADSL2+-enabled set-top boxes into homes has pitched
    >the free-to-air consortium into direct competition with Sky, which also
    >plans to launch its own net-connected set-top boxes early in 2008.

    They are going to have to free up existing data caps enormously if
    they are thinking about streaming movies and TV.

    GraB, Feb 5, 2007
  7. Shane

    Zipper Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> Telecom's general manager of video services, Philip King, says by the
    >> end of
    >> the year testing should begin of set-top boxes that will let customers
    >> watch programmes broadcast by Freeview over its digital terrestrial
    >> television network or downloaded over the internet via ADSL2+.
    >>
    >> The boxes should go on sale during the first half of next year.

    > I doubt that IPTV is going to be a serious contender here. First of all,
    > FreeView will launch this year via DVB-S, and the rollout of DVB-T will
    > commence next year. Do we really need a third delivery mechanism for the
    > same programming?
    >
    > It is DVB-T you will find built in to your new television, not IPTV, and
    > probably not DVB-S (although there are some with both).
    >
    > The Internet might offer some enhanced features, like Video on Demand,
    > but it will also offer more snooping by content providers to see what
    > you really do watch. Long term, think targeted advertising

    Is that really an issue? I would rather have advertising that is
    relative to me than watching vaginal thrush commercials or tampon
    commercials etc :).

    and your
    > information being sold to third parties.
    >
    > My biggest concern with this technology is the shit state of Telecom
    > copper. They can't keep my ADSL connection up for more than a few days,
    > and outages of many hours are not uncommon. What do people do when they
    > can't get on the Internet? Watch television? Won't be able to if they
    > rely on this technology. The birth rate will go up every time Telecom
    > has an outage.

    Yes the state of the copper is questionable and its future.

    Zipper, Feb 5, 2007
  8. Shane

    Earl Grey Guest

    Blue wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:10:43 +1300, whome wrote:
    >
    >> "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.stuff.co.nz//3949271a28.html
    >>>
    >>> If you're like me and stuff takes eons to load (if at all) then heres the
    >>> entire text:
    >>>
    >>> Superfast broadband in March
    >>>
    >>> Telecom will launch superfast ADSL2+ broadband in New Zealand next month,
    >>> nine months later than it first intended. Tom Pullar-Strecker reports.
    >>>

    >> Now, my broadband is currently FS/FS meaning I should in theory get up to
    >> 6mbps or around there.
    >>
    >> However, I only get 2mbps cos of contention ratios. It occasionally goes up
    >> to 4mbps but very rarely.
    >>
    >> So, who cares if the max limit is raised? I cannot even reach the existing
    >> maximum limit so won't the same factors stop me reaching the max under
    >> ADSL2+? ie, if the backend is only capable of delivering 2mbps on average
    >> then increasing the speed between me and the exchange won't help a jot.

    > Yep. Telcom can not get ADSL1 going properly so they spin in ADSL2 and
    > then say that they are having teething troubles.

    The ADSL bit works fine, the backhaul network is the problem

    Earl Grey, Feb 5, 2007
  9. GraB wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:32:49 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz//3949271a28.html

    Snipped

    >> Moves by Freeview to put ADSL2+-enabled set-top boxes into homes has pitched
    >> the free-to-air consortium into direct competition with Sky, which also
    >> plans to launch its own net-connected set-top boxes early in 2008.

    > They are going to have to free up existing data caps enormously if
    > they are thinking about streaming movies and TV.

    Heck no way will they do that they want to make another $ or two of the poor
    sucker consumer before they even think about reasonable caps

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 5, 2007
  10. Shane

    El Chippy Guest

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:31:36 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:58:40 +1300, Zipper <> wrote:
    >
    >>Shane wrote:
    >>> http://www.stuff.co.nz//3949271a28.html
    >>>
    >>> If you're like me and stuff takes eons to load (if at all) then heres the
    >>> entire text:

    >>It should have been vdsl2...
    >>

    > That would make more sense.

    And that would have cost telecom a lot more money.. half their existing
    equipment is ADSL2 capable judging by the literature i have seen. VDSL2
    would have meant replacing most(all?) of the existing dslams.

    El Chippy, Feb 5, 2007
  11. Shane

    k Guest

    El Chippy wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:31:36 +1300, GraB wrote:

    >>> It should have been vdsl2...
    >>>

    >> That would make more sense.

    > And that would have cost telecom a lot more money.. half their existing
    > equipment is ADSL2 capable judging by the literature i have seen. VDSL2
    > would have meant replacing most(all?) of the existing dslams.

    A nice number of customers equipment can be upgraded to ADSL2+ with a
    mere firmware update too...

    k, Feb 5, 2007
  12. Shane

    Mathew Good Guest

    ATTN: Blue

    Please set your clock you are one day ahead..

    Mathew Good, Feb 5, 2007
  13. Shane

    Craig Shore Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > Blue wrote:
    > > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:10:43 +1300, whome wrote:
    > >
    > >>"Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    > > > Now, my broadband is currently FS/FS meaning I should in theory
    > > > get up to 6mbps or around there.
    > > >
    > > > However, I only get 2mbps cos of contention ratios. It
    > > > occasionally goes up to 4mbps but very rarely.
    > > >
    > > > So, who cares if the max limit is raised? I cannot even reach the
    > > > existing maximum limit so won't the same factors stop me
    > > > reaching the max under ADSL2+? ie, if the backend is only
    > > > capable of delivering 2mbps on average then increasing the speed
    > > > between me and the exchange won't help a jot.

    > > Yep. Telcom can not get ADSL1 going properly so they spin in ADSL2
    > > and then say that they are having teething troubles.
    > >

    > The ADSL bit works fine, the backhaul network is the problem

    And in that article it stated

    ===========
    Telecom announced last April that it had placed an initial order worth
    $150 million to $170 million for ADSL2+ access and Ethernet backhaul
    equipment with French contractor Alcatel. It intended to begin
    trialling the technology within three months."
    ===========

    So they are fixing the backhaul too. I wonder if they'll give it enough
    bandwidth though, $170mil doesn't seem a lot to fix it.

    Craig Shore, Feb 5, 2007
  14. Shane

    Blue Guest

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:59:29 +1300, Zipper wrote:

    >> The Internet might offer some enhanced features, like Video on Demand,
    >> but it will also offer more snooping by content providers to see what
    >> you really do watch. Long term, think targeted advertising

    > Is that really an issue? I would rather have advertising that is
    > relative to me than watching vaginal thrush commercials or tampon
    > commercials etc :).

    Got ya. Yo are already being sucked in.

    Blue, Feb 5, 2007
  15. Shane

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Feb 5, 2007
  16. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    > > The Internet might offer some enhanced features, like Video on
    > > Demand, but it will also offer more snooping by content providers
    > > to see what you really do watch. Long term, think targeted
    > > advertising

    > Is that really an issue? I would rather have advertising that is
    > relative to me than watching vaginal thrush commercials or tampon
    > commercials etc :).

    {After strugging with myself for a while I had to post this, no offense
    intended}

    I thought those ads would have been perfect for a c*#t like you.

    Heh! Sorry. My sense of 'humour' gets the best of me sometimes.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 6, 2007
  17. Shane

    Zipper Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> The Other Guy wrote:
    >>> The Internet might offer some enhanced features, like Video on
    >>> Demand, but it will also offer more snooping by content providers
    >>> to see what you really do watch. Long term, think targeted
    >>> advertising

    >> Is that really an issue? I would rather have advertising that is
    >> relative to me than watching vaginal thrush commercials or tampon
    >> commercials etc :).

    > {After strugging with myself for a while I had to post this, no offense
    > intended}
    >
    > I thought those ads would have been perfect for a c*#t like you.
    >
    > Heh! Sorry. My sense of 'humour' gets the best of me sometimes.

    I probably would have even found it funny if I was still in school...

    Zipper, Feb 6, 2007
  18. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Zipper wrote:
    > > > Is that really an issue? I would rather have advertising that is
    > > > relative to me than watching vaginal thrush commercials or tampon
    > > > commercials etc :).

    > > {After strugging with myself for a while I had to post this, no
    > > offense intended}
    > >
    > > I thought those ads would have been perfect for a c*#t like you.
    > >
    > > Heh! Sorry. My sense of 'humour' gets the best of me sometimes.

    > I probably would have even found it funny if I was still in school...

    So, you were the one who concentrated soley on ads that had to do with
    'feminine regions', and you insinuate that *I'm* the immature one for
    continuing a theme that you started?

    Look in the mirror. Are you wearing a school uniform? If not, then grow up
    FFS and take responsibilty for your own actions.

    (And don't even think about the old "But I was trying to find examples of
    ads that aren't relevant to me" bullshit. There are plenty of
    female-targeted ads that don't concern the bits that are in their panties.)

    Even the nick, "Zipper", gives a clue to where your mind is.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 6, 2007
  19. Shane

    Zipper Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> {After strugging with myself for a while I had to post this, no
    >>> offense intended}
    >>>
    >>> I thought those ads would have been perfect for a c*#t like you.
    >>>
    >>> Heh! Sorry. My sense of 'humour' gets the best of me sometimes.

    >> I probably would have even found it funny if I was still in school...

    > So, you were the one who concentrated soley on ads that had to do with
    > 'feminine regions', and you insinuate that *I'm* the immature one for
    > continuing a theme that you started?
    >
    > Look in the mirror. Are you wearing a school uniform? If not, then grow up
    > FFS and take responsibilty for your own actions.
    >
    > (And don't even think about the old "But I was trying to find examples of
    > ads that aren't relevant to me" bullshit. There are plenty of
    > female-targeted ads that don't concern the bits that are in their panties.)
    >
    > Even the nick, "Zipper", gives a clue to where your mind is.

    Does your mum know you aren't at school today?

    Zipper, Feb 7, 2007
  20. Shane

    Zipper Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> {After strugging with myself for a while I had to post this, no
    >>> offense intended}
    >>>
    >>> I thought those ads would have been perfect for a c*#t like you.
    >>>
    >>> Heh! Sorry. My sense of 'humour' gets the best of me sometimes.

    >> I probably would have even found it funny if I was still in school...

    > So, you were the one who concentrated soley on ads that had to do with
    > 'feminine regions', and you insinuate that *I'm* the immature one for
    > continuing a theme that you started?

    Hi,

    I looked at my reply to this post and realised I was being sucked into a
    silly argument and regretted my lame post.

    I would like to point out a few things to you.

    My original message in which I gave two exmaples of advertising that do
    not apply to me I chose two examples that I really don't want to see and
    that annoy me, that is why I chose them not. It is quite a common thing
    for people to choose the worst/best examples when proving a point or do
    you not get that?

    Then somehow you took that message and turned it into a personal insult
    which was masked as a joke and then when I failed to see the humour you
    go on an even more out personal attack and I have no idea what you are
    talking about with my nickname and if you read any of my posts in this
    forum you will see my posts are clean, more so than yours.

    So in summing up, I would suggest relaxing a little and not just jumping
    to conclusions about posts and people's nicknames when you have no idea.
    Hell, try being nice.

    Take it easy
    Zipper

    Zipper, Feb 7, 2007