ADSL2+ / modem / router / n wireless recommenations?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 20, 2012.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    As per subject, what do folks recommend? (Bearing in mind I'm not rich, I
    don't really need a 'manageable' unit, just a reliable one).

    I have a friend who's going to stay for a few weeks while they're between
    houses and throw me a few bucks for helping them out. They're going to
    largely keep themself to themself (which suits me, with my 'psych issues')
    but I've agreed they'll have wireless internet access. I was thinking the $
    I get could go towards a better wireless system - I know their computer is
    'n' compatible and the room they'll be in is a way away from the AP.

    I'm thinking of replacing my old 3COM 11g AP with an all-in-one unit as the
    little modem I'm using now is taking longer and longer to connect these
    days. It'd be nice if the Wireless could be switched off when not in use as
    I'm still wired and like it that way. I don't see the point in wasting
    electricity broadcasting wireless when it's not needed. <shrug>

    However, if it means considerably more money for that feature then it's
    likely not an option. I've always liked NetComm NB6xxxx gear, what's the
    thoughts about an NB6Plus4Wn (assuming I can get one at a good price)? Is
    there a better / cheaper option? I'm not adverse to second-hand... I could
    look on Trademe even once I know what's decent and what's not.

    Thanks in advance. :)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Sep 20, 2012

  2. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:47:48 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >As per subject, what do folks recommend? (Bearing in mind I'm not rich, I
    >don't really need a 'manageable' unit, just a reliable one).

    If you're a Telecom customer you might want to consider one of their
    "Technicolor TGS82n" ADSL 2 + Wireless Routers. They would have given
    me one free if I'd agreed to renew a one year contract on my present
    plan, but I didn't want to do that so they charged me $50.

    Don't know how it works yet because the problem I was experiencing was
    due to Telecom/Xtra's failure to refresh my IP and not a problem with
    the modem as diagnosed by their tech team and the pushy Asian who
    wanted to sell me a new modem.
    Donchano, Sep 20, 2012

  3. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Thursday, 20 September 2012 16:47:48 UTC+12, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > As per subject, what do folks recommend? (Bearing in mind I'm not rich, I
    > don't really need a 'manageable' unit, just a reliable one).
    > I have a friend who's going to stay for a few weeks while they're between
    > houses and throw me a few bucks for helping them out. They're going to
    > largely keep themself to themself (which suits me, with my 'psych issues')
    > but I've agreed they'll have wireless internet access. I was thinking the$
    > I get could go towards a better wireless system - I know their computer is
    > 'n' compatible and the room they'll be in is a way away from the AP.
    >
    > I'm thinking of replacing my old 3COM 11g AP with an all-in-one unit as the
    > little modem I'm using now is taking longer and longer to connect these
    > days. It'd be nice if the Wireless could be switched off when not in use as
    > I'm still wired and like it that way. I don't see the point in wasting
    > electricity broadcasting wireless when it's not needed. <shrug>
    >
    > However, if it means considerably more money for that feature then it's
    > likely not an option. I've always liked NetComm NB6xxxx gear, what's the
    > thoughts about an NB6Plus4Wn (assuming I can get one at a good price)? Is
    > there a better / cheaper option? I'm not adverse to second-hand... I could
    > look on Trademe even once I know what's decent and what's not.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. :)

    I got a TPLink TD-W8960N because it was the cheapest ADSL2+ Wireless-N all-in-one in the store (under $100 incl). It did need it's firmware updated but since then has been near flawless - the only issue being that about once a month it needs it's power cycled.
    JohnO, Sep 20, 2012
  4. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Sep 20, 2012
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:47:48 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> As per subject, what do folks recommend? (Bearing in mind I'm not
    >> rich, I don't really need a 'manageable' unit, just a reliable one).

    > If you're a Telecom customer you might want to consider one of their
    > "Technicolor TGS82n" ADSL 2 + Wireless Routers. They would have given
    > me one free if I'd agreed to renew a one year contract on my present
    > plan, but I didn't want to do that so they charged me $50.
    >
    > Don't know how it works yet because the problem I was experiencing was
    > due to Telecom/Xtra's failure to refresh my IP and not a problem with
    > the modem as diagnosed by their tech team and the pushy Asian who
    > wanted to sell me a new modem.

    Thanks. I'm not a Telecom customer.

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2012
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Thursday, 20 September 2012 16:47:48 UTC+12, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> As per subject, what do folks recommend? (Bearing in mind I'm not
    >> rich, I don't really need a 'manageable' unit, just a reliable one).
    >> I have a friend who's going to stay for a few weeks while they're
    >> between houses and throw me a few bucks for helping them out.
    >> They're going to largely keep themself to themself (which suits me,
    >> with my 'psych issues') but I've agreed they'll have wireless
    >> internet access. I was thinking the $ I get could go towards a
    >> better wireless system - I know their computer is 'n' compatible and
    >> the room they'll be in is a way away from the AP.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of replacing my old 3COM 11g AP with an all-in-one unit
    >> as the little modem I'm using now is taking longer and longer to
    >> connect these days. It'd be nice if the Wireless could be switched
    >> off when not in use as I'm still wired and like it that way. I don't
    >> see the point in wasting electricity broadcasting wireless when it's
    >> not needed. <shrug>
    >>
    >> However, if it means considerably more money for that feature then
    >> it's likely not an option. I've always liked NetComm NB6xxxx gear,
    >> what's the thoughts about an NB6Plus4Wn (assuming I can get one at a
    >> good price)? Is there a better / cheaper option? I'm not adverse to
    >> second-hand... I could look on Trademe even once I know what's
    >> decent and what's not.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance. :)

    > I got a TPLink TD-W8960N because it was the cheapest ADSL2+
    > Wireless-N all-in-one in the store (under $100 incl). It did need
    > it's firmware updated but since then has been near flawless - the
    > only issue being that about once a month it needs it's power cycled.

    Thanks JohnO, duly noted. :)

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2012
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 20/09/2012 4:47 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> As per subject, what do folks recommend? (Bearing in mind I'm not
    >> rich, I don't really need a 'manageable' unit, just a reliable one).
    >>
    >> I have a friend who's going to stay for a few weeks while they're
    >> between houses and throw me a few bucks for helping them out.
    >> They're going to largely keep themself to themself (which suits me,
    >> with my 'psych issues') but I've agreed they'll have wireless
    >> internet access. I was thinking the $ I get could go towards a
    >> better wireless system - I know their computer is 'n' compatible and
    >> the room they'll be in is a way away from the AP. I'm thinking of
    >> replacing my old 3COM 11g AP with an all-in-one unit
    >> as the little modem I'm using now is taking longer and longer to
    >> connect these days. It'd be nice if the Wireless could be switched
    >> off when not in use as I'm still wired and like it that way. I don't
    >> see the point in wasting electricity broadcasting wireless when it's
    >> not needed. <shrug> However, if it means considerably more money for that
    >> feature then
    >> it's likely not an option. I've always liked NetComm NB6xxxx gear,
    >> what's the thoughts about an NB6Plus4Wn (assuming I can get one at a
    >> good price)? Is there a better / cheaper option? I'm not adverse to
    >> second-hand... I could look on Trademe even once I know what's
    >> decent and what's not. Thanks in advance. :)
    >>

    > My NB6Plus4Wn "just works" but they appear to have been superceded by
    > the NB604N which I sent one of my workmates off to buy. 4 months on
    > he's happy with it and says it is much more reliable than whatever he
    > had previously.

    Thanks mate. I saw that the NB604n was newer and cheaper (but we know that
    doesn't always mean 'better' or even 'as good'). Handy to have some feedback
    on it.

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2012
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    > news:k3e75j$uns$1@dont- email.me:
    >
    >> Thanks in advance. :)

    > Buy nothing and point to them with your existing gear?
    > https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=windsurfer antenna

    Thanks for the suggestion but; a) My current modem's getting a bit
    unreliable anyway and b) It's time I upgraded the wireless as I've upgraded
    the wireless card inside my T60 ThinkPad (MiniPCIe, I had to flash the T60
    with a hacked BIOS to allow it to accept a non-T60 white-listed card) to an
    'n' card and haven't been able to test the 'n' capability of it. ;-)

    Incidently, FY[and anyone else's]I I bought one of these:
    http://dx.com/p/pci-300mbps-wireless-network-card-adapter-71045 for said
    friend and installed it for them. They live in a sleep-out that is ~40m from
    the house and the modem is another ~20m distant, three rooms away. They had
    a 'g' PCI card previously (with an antenna on a cable mounted high up the
    wall) and were lucky to get anything over 10Mbps connections (the router/AP
    is a Telecom-supplied Technicolor TGS82n) and sometimes it would drop out
    during games or downloads.

    With the 'n' card from DX fitted (with it's own antennas) connections are a
    consistant ~150Mbps, give-or-take. (I was quite relieved as, in my
    experience with DX, sometimes you get diamonds and sometimes you get
    dog-shit. <g> Mostly it's reasonable stuff though, it's just that I'd find
    it hard to weather a loss.)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2012
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:

    [snip]
    >> My NB6Plus4Wn "just works" but they appear to have been superceded by
    >> the NB604N which I sent one of my workmates off to buy. 4 months on
    >> he's happy with it and says it is much more reliable than whatever he
    >> had previously.

    > Thanks mate. I saw that the NB604n was newer and cheaper (but we know
    > that doesn't always mean 'better' or even 'as good'). Handy to have
    > some feedback on it.

    Just to wrap this thread up. I bought a NetComm NB604N as EMB suggested and
    am very happy with it. I particlularly like the push-button on the back that
    turns the wireless on/off and it is quite configurable. It has various power
    saving features (such as powering down ethernet ports that aren't in use)
    and, as a bonus, it isn't ugly. :)

    As usual Ascent had it at my door the day after I ordered it and they are
    currently giving a 5 year warranty on them (as well as on many other
    things).

    Thanks again.

    ~misfit~, Sep 27, 2012