ADSL2+ modem compatibility

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Jul 9, 2011.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Greetings all.

    Over the last month my local (mid North Island) exchange has been
    changing over from ADSL1 to ADSL2+.

    As one of the first changed over I had to replace my Dynalink RTA 300 in
    order to restore my Broadband connection when the Dynalink would no
    longer authenticate. (Sync'd ok)

    Subsequent to that I've had several jobs where the only fix for loss of
    Broadband connection has been to replace the modem.

    It would seem a lot of Dynalinks will sync (ADSL LED comes on) but then
    won't Authenticate (PPP or Internet LED)
    The USB modems issued to some Chorus Tech's appear to fall into this
    category too.
    Dlinks OTOH seem unable to even Sync let alone Authenticate, and this
    seems to occur on ADSL1 or ADSL2+ models (302G / 504T etc) at random.
    Belkins, Netgear, Thompson's etc I've not come across.

    Perhaps of more concern was the brand new Dlink DSL-526B a customer
    selfinstalled only to be told by a Chorus tech it was 'incompatible'
    with the ADSL2+ cards now used in her roadside cabinet. (She's using one
    of my DSE XH1195's to keep her going till she gets another brand)
    Maybe it's a faulty batch as the first one (bought from DSE) was faulty
    as shown by it's inability to complete it's boot up routine, but it is
    worrying a brand new "ADSL2+" modem by a reputable maker is not
    'Compatible'

    Any one else noticed problems of this nature?
    Anyone know why?

    (BTW one of those old DSE XH1195's of mine has picked up the new ADSL2+
    signal every time no problem, whereas the other one I have won't even
    Sync Weird!)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 9, 2011

  2. PeeCee

    John Little Guest

    On Jul 9, 2:06 pm, PeeCee <> wrote:

    > Over the last month my local (mid North Island) exchange has been
    > changing over from ADSL1 to ADSL2+.
    >
    > As one of the first changed over I had to replace my Dynalink RTA 300 in
    > order to restore my Broadband connection when the Dynalink would no
    > longer authenticate. (Sync'd ok)

    I had a Dynalink RTA 3-something that silently worked ok when ADSL2+
    was installed. I only noticed that download speeds were faster. It
    used to run very hot, before and after the changeover, requiring
    periodic restarts in warm weather, and it died a year or so later.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Jul 9, 2011

  3. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    On 9/07/2011 8:54 p.m., max wrote:
    > Tried line reversal ???
    >
    > Reflashed to the latest software ???
    >

    > Max
    >

    > On 9/07/2011 2:06 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> Over the last month my local (mid North Island) exchange has been
    >> changing over from ADSL1 to ADSL2+.
    >>
    >> As one of the first changed over I had to replace my Dynalink RTA 300 in
    >> order to restore my Broadband connection when the Dynalink would no
    >> longer authenticate. (Sync'd ok)
    >>
    >> Subsequent to that I've had several jobs where the only fix for loss of
    >> Broadband connection has been to replace the modem.
    >>
    >> It would seem a lot of Dynalinks will sync (ADSL LED comes on) but then
    >> won't Authenticate (PPP or Internet LED)
    >> The USB modems issued to some Chorus Tech's appear to fall into this
    >> category too.
    >> Dlinks OTOH seem unable to even Sync let alone Authenticate, and this
    >> seems to occur on ADSL1 or ADSL2+ models (302G / 504T etc) at random.
    >> Belkins, Netgear, Thompson's etc I've not come across.
    >>
    >> Perhaps of more concern was the brand new Dlink DSL-526B a customer
    >> selfinstalled only to be told by a Chorus tech it was 'incompatible'
    >> with the ADSL2+ cards now used in her roadside cabinet. (She's using one
    >> of my DSE XH1195's to keep her going till she gets another brand)
    >> Maybe it's a faulty batch as the first one (bought from DSE) was faulty
    >> as shown by it's inability to complete it's boot up routine, but it is
    >> worrying a brand new "ADSL2+" modem by a reputable maker is not
    >> 'Compatible'
    >>
    >> Any one else noticed problems of this nature?
    >> Anyone know why?
    >>
    >> (BTW one of those old DSE XH1195's of mine has picked up the new ADSL2+
    >> signal every time no problem, whereas the other one I have won't even
    >> Sync Weird!)
    >>

    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    Thanks for those ideas.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 11, 2011
  4. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    On 11/07/2011 3:02 p.m., Robert Cooze wrote:
    > On 09/07/11 14:06, PeeCee wrote:
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> Over the last month my local (mid North Island) exchange has been
    >> changing over from ADSL1 to ADSL2+.
    >>
    >> As one of the first changed over I had to replace my Dynalink RTA 300 in
    >> order to restore my Broadband connection when the Dynalink would no
    >> longer authenticate. (Sync'd ok)
    >>
    >> Subsequent to that I've had several jobs where the only fix for loss of
    >> Broadband connection has been to replace the modem.
    >>
    >> It would seem a lot of Dynalinks will sync (ADSL LED comes on) but then
    >> won't Authenticate (PPP or Internet LED)
    >> The USB modems issued to some Chorus Tech's appear to fall into this
    >> category too.
    >> Dlinks OTOH seem unable to even Sync let alone Authenticate, and this
    >> seems to occur on ADSL1 or ADSL2+ models (302G / 504T etc) at random.
    >> Belkins, Netgear, Thompson's etc I've not come across.
    >>
    >> Perhaps of more concern was the brand new Dlink DSL-526B a customer
    >> selfinstalled only to be told by a Chorus tech it was 'incompatible'
    >> with the ADSL2+ cards now used in her roadside cabinet. (She's using one
    >> of my DSE XH1195's to keep her going till she gets another brand)
    >> Maybe it's a faulty batch as the first one (bought from DSE) was faulty
    >> as shown by it's inability to complete it's boot up routine, but it is
    >> worrying a brand new "ADSL2+" modem by a reputable maker is not
    >> 'Compatible'
    >>
    >> Any one else noticed problems of this nature?
    >> Anyone know why?
    >>
    >> (BTW one of those old DSE XH1195's of mine has picked up the new ADSL2+
    >> signal every time no problem, whereas the other one I have won't even
    >> Sync Weird!)
    >>

    >> Best
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > I have had a couple of RTA 1320's one problem is they do get hot very
    > hot I would say, they work for about a year and a bit and then they
    > start to drop connections and other problems.
    >
    > One soulution appart from keeping the firmware up to date is I put a fan
    > on mine to keep it cool it blows air in to the vents this one has been
    > running for over 2 years with out problems. or so it may seem.

    Yes the Dynalinks are well known for premature deaths.
    The heat issue is one cause, the other is electrolytic caps.
    I have a bunch of 4 port ADSL2 Dynalinks here that 'died' at 12-18
    months (LAN ports)
    Replacing two (blown) electro's bought all of them back to normal.

    Interestingly I wrote off another DLink DSL 604T yesterday that was
    getting flakey (kept dropping DSL)
    That makes the third 604 with the same problem this year, wonder if they
    are suffering from similar problems (caps)
    (haven't bothered to open it up yet)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 16, 2011