ADSL v ADSL2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and one
    was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a plain old
    vanilla ADSL modem?

    Curious.

    Rider
     
    Rider, Jul 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    news:vP3xe.11748$...
    > OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
    > one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
    > plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
    >
    > Curious.
    >
    > Rider
    >
    >


    Ok .... nevermind.
     
    Rider, Jul 1, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rider

    Harry Guest

    Rider wrote:

    > OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
    > one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
    > plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
    >
    > Curious.


    ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
    ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    Google is your friend.
     
    Harry, Jul 1, 2005
    #3
  4. Rider

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >Rider wrote:
    >
    >> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
    >> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
    >> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
    >>
    >> Curious.

    >
    >ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
    >ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >Google is your friend.


    Correction:

    ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

    You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    a year or two.
     
    H.O.G, Jul 1, 2005
    #4
  5. Rider

    Mercury Guest

    correction, ADSL2+ is.
    If you are considering getting an ADSL2+ modem thingy, hold off until
    telecom does its thing, and the round 1 flakey versions are superceded. IE
    avoid getting a reincarnation of the NI200 or NI500.

    There is an article on it in NZ PC World this month.

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>Rider wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
    >>> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
    >>> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
    >>>
    >>> Curious.

    >>
    >>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
    >>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >>Google is your friend.

    >
    > Correction:
    >
    > ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.
    >
    > You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    > a year or two.
     
    Mercury, Jul 1, 2005
    #5
  6. Rider

    Harry Guest

    H.O.G wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>Rider wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
    >>> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
    >>> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
    >>>
    >>> Curious.

    >>
    >>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
    >>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >>Google is your friend.

    >
    > Correction:
    >
    > ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.


    Sorry, but that is not a valid correction.
    ADSL2 is not available in NZ.

    >
    > You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    > a year or two.


    ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
    Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
    next year if their track record is anything to go by.
    And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.

    If you are in certain areas in a main center then perhaps it is
    better to buy an ADSL2 modem now.
    Personally I wouldn't buy a version 1.0 of any ADSL2 modem.
    I would wait until the technology matures a bit more anyhow.
     
    Harry, Jul 1, 2005
    #6
  7. Rider

    Mercury Guest

    I suggest you read the NZ PC World article.

    Certainly they could have it wrong, or telecom could change its plan, but
    there will be according to the article an ADSL2+ rollout not ADSL2, so
    getting an ADSL2 modem is likely to not be the best of investments.

    Your point about main centers is no doubt 100% true. For some reason I would
    expect those that least need it will get the choice first IE big
    corporations that use leassed links and have no need of DSL in any form,
    those with the choice of vendors and connection types (which the rest of us
    are "subsidising") along with free to air wireless.

    Oddly I would expect that those that have no DSL connection currently won't
    get it first, although if really lucky a second hand dslam may get installed
    just out of reach of these communities to be useless. But then telecom may
    get out a bulldozer and run over those old dslams to make sure the
    competition does not pick them up cheap and do the nasty.

    Hmmmm. Not worth waiting for.


    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    news:0y7xe.11838$...
    > H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <>
    >> spoke these fine words:
    >>
    >>>Rider wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
    >>>> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
    >>>> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
    >>>>
    >>>> Curious.
    >>>
    >>>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
    >>>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >>>Google is your friend.

    >>
    >> Correction:
    >>
    >> ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

    >
    > Sorry, but that is not a valid correction.
    > ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >
    >>
    >> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    >> a year or two.

    >
    > ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
    > Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
    > next year if their track record is anything to go by.
    > And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.
    >
    > If you are in certain areas in a main center then perhaps it is
    > better to buy an ADSL2 modem now.
    > Personally I wouldn't buy a version 1.0 of any ADSL2 modem.
    > I would wait until the technology matures a bit more anyhow.
    >
    >
     
    Mercury, Jul 1, 2005
    #7
  8. Rider

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:05:36 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

    >>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >>Google is your friend.

    >
    > Correction:
    >
    > ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.


    Correction: the original statement is correct, for now ;-0
     
    Gordon, Jul 1, 2005
    #8
  9. Hi there,

    Rider wrote:
    > OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and one
    > was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a plain old
    > vanilla ADSL modem?


    ADSL2 is a bit faster than normal ADSL, and can extend the distance
    at which you get reasonable speed from your exchange. ADSL2+ is the
    next step up again, with reputed data rates over double that of
    both ADSL and ADSL2, but only close to the exchange according to a
    couple of first reports I've read in PC mags...

    Your local telephone exchange needs to be ADSL2/2+ capable, but none
    are in NZ yet. There are whispers about it in the near future. Telstra
    here in Oz have already enabled some exchanges, so expect to see real
    users comment on the speed quite soon...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

    Software patents are killing YOUR freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
    http://swpat.ffii.org/ http://nosoftwarepatents.com/
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 1, 2005
    #9
  10. Rider

    Richard Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Your local telephone exchange needs to be ADSL2/2+ capable, but none
    > are in NZ yet. There are whispers about it in the near future. Telstra
    > here in Oz have already enabled some exchanges, so expect to see real
    > users comment on the speed quite soon...


    However when the achievable rates are crippled by the telco operating the gear,
    who gives a shit if it technically can sync up at 20 meg/2 meg when its only set
    to get 128k up.
     
    Richard, Jul 1, 2005
    #10
  11. Rider

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:55:24 +1200, Harry <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <>
    >> spoke these fine words:
    >>
    >>>Rider wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
    >>>> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
    >>>> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
    >>>>
    >>>> Curious.
    >>>
    >>>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
    >>>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >>>Google is your friend.

    >>
    >> Correction:
    >>
    >> ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

    >
    >Sorry, but that is not a valid correction.
    >ADSL2 is not available in NZ.


    Correction: ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

    Saying that it is not available eliminates considering an ADSL2 router
    over a standard ADSL router to future-proof yourself. However, it will
    be available soonish, and hence it is definately a consideration.
    Idiot.
    >>
    >> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    >> a year or two.

    >
    >ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
    >Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
    >next year if their track record is anything to go by.
    >And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.


    So what? ADSL was only on selected exchanges to start with. All other
    things being equal, it would be silly to purchase an ADSL router over
    an ADSL2 router.

    However, I think you're just being a troll...
     
    H.O.G, Jul 1, 2005
    #11
  12. Rider

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:19:15 +1200, Gordon <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:05:36 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >>>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >>>Google is your friend.

    >>
    >> Correction:
    >>
    >> ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

    >
    >Correction: the original statement is correct, for now ;-0


    Hence "about to be available"...
     
    H.O.G, Jul 1, 2005
    #12
  13. Rider

    Harry Guest

    H.O.G wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:55:24 +1200, Harry <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>H.O.G wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <>
    >>> spoke these fine words:
    >>>
    >>>>Rider wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys
    >>>>> and one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different
    >>>>> from a plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Curious.
    >>>>
    >>>>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
    >>>>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
    >>>>Google is your friend.
    >>>
    >>> Correction:
    >>>
    >>> ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

    >>
    >>Sorry, but that is not a valid correction.
    >>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.

    >
    > Correction: ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.


    That is not a correction.
    Another so-called correction might be: "Pigs are about to fly".
    Well maybe they are, but currently they don't.

    >
    > Saying that it is not available eliminates considering an ADSL2 router
    > over a standard ADSL router to future-proof yourself. However, it will
    > be available soonish, and hence it is definately a consideration.
    > Idiot.


    ADSL2 is not available in NZ. Plain and simple.

    >>>
    >>> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    >>> a year or two.

    >>
    >>ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
    >>Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
    >>next year if their track record is anything to go by.
    >>And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.

    >
    > So what? ADSL was only on selected exchanges to start with. All other
    > things being equal, it would be silly to purchase an ADSL router over
    > an ADSL2 router.


    Depends on the price and what speed plan you might want, stupid!

    >
    > However, I think you're just being a troll...


    However, I think you are being a pain in the neck.
     
    Harry, Jul 2, 2005
    #13
  14. Rider

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:27:19 +1200, Harry <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >>>> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    >>>> a year or two.
    >>>
    >>>ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
    >>>Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
    >>>next year if their track record is anything to go by.
    >>>And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.

    >>
    >> So what? ADSL was only on selected exchanges to start with. All other
    >> things being equal, it would be silly to purchase an ADSL router over
    >> an ADSL2 router.

    >
    >Depends on the price and what speed plan you might want, stupid!
    >

    If you knew anything whatsoever about computers, you'd realise that
    your needs will increase over time. What you want/need a year from now
    will be quite different from now.

    Moron.
     
    H.O.G, Jul 2, 2005
    #14
  15. Rider

    Richard Guest

    H.O.G wrote:

    > If you knew anything whatsoever about computers, you'd realise that
    > your needs will increase over time. What you want/need a year from now
    > will be quite different from now.


    how long has there being adsl? are any of the plans pushing the maximum speed of
    adsl? - nope.

    I would get the cheapest that will do the job nowdays, and wait till there is an
    adsl2 offering (if there ever is) that makes it worth buying one then.
     
    Richard, Jul 2, 2005
    #15
  16. Rider

    Mercury Guest

    > However when the achievable rates are crippled by the telco operating the
    > gear, who gives a shit if it technically can sync up at 20 meg/2 meg when
    > its only set to get 128k up.


    Or they take a pound of flesh.
     
    Mercury, Jul 2, 2005
    #16
  17. Rider

    Harry Guest

    H.O.G wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:27:19 +1200, Harry <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>>>> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    >>>>> a year or two.
    >>>>
    >>>>ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
    >>>>Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
    >>>>next year if their track record is anything to go by.
    >>>>And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.
    >>>
    >>> So what? ADSL was only on selected exchanges to start with. All other
    >>> things being equal, it would be silly to purchase an ADSL router over
    >>> an ADSL2 router.

    >>
    >>Depends on the price and what speed plan you might want, stupid!
    >>

    > If you knew anything whatsoever about computers, you'd realise that
    > your needs will increase over time. What you want/need a year from now
    > will be quite different from now.
    >
    > Moron.


    So when you start to find the internet is really boring you need more of it?

    What is it with people who punctuate their intelligent discourse
    with words like "moron", "idiot", and "troll"?
     
    Harry, Jul 2, 2005
    #17
  18. Rider

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:59:23 +1200, Harry <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:27:19 +1200, Harry <>
    >> spoke these fine words:
    >>
    >>>>>> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
    >>>>>> a year or two.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
    >>>>>Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
    >>>>>next year if their track record is anything to go by.
    >>>>>And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.
    >>>>
    >>>> So what? ADSL was only on selected exchanges to start with. All other
    >>>> things being equal, it would be silly to purchase an ADSL router over
    >>>> an ADSL2 router.
    >>>
    >>>Depends on the price and what speed plan you might want, stupid!
    >>>

    >> If you knew anything whatsoever about computers, you'd realise that
    >> your needs will increase over time. What you want/need a year from now
    >> will be quite different from now.
    >>
    >> Moron.

    >
    >So when you start to find the internet is really boring you need more of it?
    >

    When you start to find how valuable a resource it is, you realise you
    can't get enough of it.

    Geez, that's like saying a dictionary is boring. It probably would be
    if you read it cover to cover, but where would we be without them?

    >What is it with people who punctuate their intelligent discourse
    >with words like "moron", "idiot", and "troll"?


    Get that a lot, do you?
     
    H.O.G, Jul 2, 2005
    #18
  19. Rider

    Harry Guest

    H.O.G wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:59:23 +1200, Harry <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>H.O.G wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:27:19 +1200, Harry <>
    >>> spoke these fine words:
    >>>
    >>>>>>> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade
    >>>>>>> in a year or two.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
    >>>>>>Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
    >>>>>>next year if their track record is anything to go by.
    >>>>>>And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So what? ADSL was only on selected exchanges to start with. All other
    >>>>> things being equal, it would be silly to purchase an ADSL router over
    >>>>> an ADSL2 router.
    >>>>
    >>>>Depends on the price and what speed plan you might want, stupid!
    >>>>
    >>> If you knew anything whatsoever about computers, you'd realise that
    >>> your needs will increase over time. What you want/need a year from now
    >>> will be quite different from now.
    >>>
    >>> Moron.

    >>
    >>So when you start to find the internet is really boring you need more of
    >>it?
    >>

    > When you start to find how valuable a resource it is, you realise you
    > can't get enough of it.
    >
    > Geez, that's like saying a dictionary is boring. It probably would be
    > if you read it cover to cover, but where would we be without them?


    I like your analogy. If the analogy is supposed to be about irrelevance.

    So do you need a bigger dictionary? Probably not.

    >
    >>What is it with people who punctuate their intelligent discourse
    >>with words like "moron", "idiot", and "troll"?

    >
    > Get that a lot, do you?


    From you, yes.
     
    Harry, Jul 3, 2005
    #19
  20. Hi there,

    Richard wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Your local telephone exchange needs to be ADSL2/2+ capable, but none
    >> are in NZ yet. There are whispers about it in the near future. Telstra
    >> here in Oz have already enabled some exchanges, so expect to see real
    >> users comment on the speed quite soon...

    >
    >
    > However when the achievable rates are crippled by the telco operating
    > the gear, who gives a shit if it technically can sync up at 20 meg/2 meg
    > when its only set to get 128k up.


    Well, if you're prepared to pay to use the line at its utmost then of
    course you will be able to...money talks...

    No-one seems to offer better than 1.5Mbps or 2Mbps currently, but some
    Aussie providers are beginning to I think...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

    Software patents are killing YOUR freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
    http://swpat.ffii.org/ http://nosoftwarepatents.com/
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 3, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Martin²
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    654
    Phil Ossifa
    Jun 22, 2006
  2. Skymaster

    PIX/Linux/ADSL2 Routing/NAT Issue.

    Skymaster, Sep 7, 2006, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    569
  3. M
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    700
  4. M
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    610
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Jun 17, 2007
  5. Bobs
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    665
Loading...

Share This Page