ADSL usage Problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by karl, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. karl

    karl Guest

    Hi there,

    Problem: A network of roughly 10 Mac's all connected through two hubs
    including one Nokia M1122 ADSL router.

    Someone has downloaded a huge amount of software and racked up a huge bill
    on the account.

    I want to set up something to control this. What do people recommend?

    Would ultimately like it so that one computer has full access to the
    internet and every other computer has only email access. But with some
    feature that the user on the one computer with full access could allow
    another user on another computer internet access for a specified amount of
    time.

    Might consider getting a PC computer to act as a proxy server / gateway.
    Does anyone have any practical ideas? This is for a small business on a
    JetStreme600 plan.

    Also what is the default login & password for the Nokia M1122? Is there a
    web interface? Or do I have to access it through telnet? It was sold by
    Telecom.

    Thanks

    Karl
    karl, Jul 9, 2003

  2. karl

    karl Guest

    Sorry about the large gaps between the paragraphs.

    I wonder if I can do port blocking or port redirecting to a fake IP? What
    does the Nokia M1122 support?
    karl, Jul 9, 2003

  3. karl

    Mark. Guest

    Karl- are the Macs using OS X or Mac OS 9?

    I'm sure there are various OS X utilities now available to do this sort
    of thing. Checking http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/index.shtml would be a good place to start, and then after that
    try www.macosxhints.com

    I would imagine that the Nokia router has fairly limited features to
    control port blocking to certain IP addresses on the LAN, so your next
    bet would be to see what features the other router on the LAN has.

    I think the M1122 may have a web interface, but I'm not sure. I have
    lower-end i500 which can only be accessed by telnet.

    M.

    Mark., Jul 9, 2003
  4. karl

    karl Guest

    "Mark." <> wrote in message
    > Karl- are the Macs using OS X or Mac OS 9?

    One has MacOs X

    > I'm sure there are various OS X utilities now available to do this sort
    > of thing. Checking http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/index.shtml would

    be a good place to start, and then after that
    > try www.macosxhints.com

    Thanks, I might check it out

    > I would imagine that the Nokia router has fairly limited features to
    > control port blocking to certain IP addresses on the LAN, so your next
    > bet would be to see what features the other router on the LAN has.

    Only one router, the other 'hub' is just a dse 5port hub.

    > I think the M1122 may have a web interface, but I'm not sure. I have
    > lower-end i500 which can only be accessed by telnet.

    Yeh I think so, I am gona have a look at it tomorrow. Dont have any PC's
    there to tellnet into it

    karl, Jul 9, 2003
  5. karl

    Mark. Guest

    There are telnet programs available on both Mac OS 9 and OS X. (OS X has
    telnet built in I believe)

    Mark., Jul 9, 2003
  6. karl

    karl Guest

    "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    > And after upgrading my nokia to a later software it now appears to be able

    > block by port... mmmm kazza gone...

    Sweet, thanks. What are common ports to block to prevent p2p?
    karl, Jul 9, 2003
  7. karl wrote:

    > "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>And after upgrading my nokia to a later software it now appears to be able

    >>block by port... mmmm kazza gone...

    > Sweet, thanks. What are common ports to block to prevent p2p?

    1189 is what kazaa listens on. there are heaps of others hto. It will alledgidly
    tunnel via HTTP if needed, but I havent seen that happen.

    It can also prioritise traffic based on port (So it appears) - I have tried
    putting RDP ahead of everything else to try to get smoother remote desktop
    sessions, but I dont know if it really has made any difference.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 10, 2003
  8. karl

    Allistar Guest

    karl wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >

    > Problem: A network of roughly 10 Mac's all connected through two hubs
    > including one Nokia M1122 ADSL router.
    >
    > Someone has downloaded a huge amount of software and racked up a huge bill
    > on the account.
    >

    > I want to set up something to control this. What do people recommend?
    >

    > Would ultimately like it so that one computer has full access to the
    > internet and every other computer has only email access. But with some
    > feature that the user on the one computer with full access could allow
    > another user on another computer internet access for a specified amount of
    > time.
    >

    > Might consider getting a PC computer to act as a proxy server / gateway.
    > Does anyone have any practical ideas? This is for a small business on a
    > JetStreme600 plan.
    >

    > Also what is the default login & password for the Nokia M1122? Is there a
    > web interface? Or do I have to access it through telnet? It was sold by
    > Telecom.
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Karl

    You could use a Linux box between the network and the router and do port
    based blocking there. This will also allow you to block certain ports from
    certain workstations, leaving your to access them all (if that's what you
    want). You could alternatively leave all ports open but deverly rate limit
    certain ports. NetBSD could help do rate shaping.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 10, 2003
  9. www.rhinosoft.com
    Allegro Surf

    Trans windows proxy with MAC auth & acocunting . 2x Network cards and a
    static route and you got Filters,AV,Cache & Accounting . And its all ugly
    windows based stuff that my Gran could use .

    Actully wingate does this to ( Ucky )

    Matthew G Brown, Jul 10, 2003
  10. karl

    karl Guest

    btw a DSE download for the Nokia has the version Gx1x2220.r0x

    Is this newer then the .r05
    karl, Jul 10, 2003
  11. karl

    Mark. Guest

    If you were to switch your hub for a Linksys four or eight port switch,
    it has all the required port blocking features accessible via a built in
    webpage. Very easy to use.

    Mark., Jul 10, 2003