ADSL to Woosh migration (whos do it and what is your experience)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ufo_hk, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. ufo_hk

    ufo_hk Guest

    I'm currently on Xtra jetstream starter 128 k service (word used loosely)
    but looking at Woosh's current deal ie $199 modem and $14.99 per week for
    "unlimited" download (already read small print re reasonable usage). If I
    ignore the modem costs and assume I don't exceed capped limits it would seem
    costs are the same but with Woosh I get slightly higher speed, but it
    doesn't seem that this speed difference would be a big incentive.
    Woosh = 52 * 15 = $780
    Xtra = 12 * $65 = $780
    Am I doing my sums correctly?. Also I'd like to get the feel of other people
    experience where they have migrated and what pit falls they might have
    encountered.
    I'm kean to prevent my money going to Telecom but would want a reasonable
    incentive to go through the issues of migrating.

    Look forward to your feedback

    Cheers
    HK
    ufo_hk, Jan 14, 2004

  2. "ufo_hk" <> wrote in message
    > I'm currently on Xtra jetstream starter 128 k service (word used loosely)
    > but looking at Woosh's current deal ie $199 modem and $14.99 per week for
    > "unlimited" download (already read small print re reasonable usage). If I
    > ignore the modem costs and assume I don't exceed capped limits it would
    > seem
    > costs are the same but with Woosh I get slightly higher speed, but it
    > doesn't seem that this speed difference would be a big incentive.
    > Woosh = 52 * 15 = $780
    > Xtra = 12 * $65 = $780
    > Am I doing my sums correctly?. Also I'd like to get the feel of other
    > people
    > experience where they have migrated and what pit falls they might have
    > encountered.
    > I'm kean to prevent my money going to Telecom but would want a reasonable
    > incentive to go through the issues of migrating.

    Woosh = extra speed, but also extra latency compared to 128k DSL

    You wont be able to play many online games where speed matters like first
    person shooters

    But your downloads will probably be faster, Woosh claim 256k, but its more
    like 200k

    Dont misunderestimate how much difference the extra latency will make tho
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 19, 2004

  3. ufo_hk

    ufo_hk Guest

    Thanks for the feedback - very useful as it was something I hadn't
    considered.

    Cheers
    HK

    ufo_hk, Jan 19, 2004
  4. ufo_hk

    Peter KERR Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> warned:

    > Dont misunderestimate how much difference the extra latency will make tho

    Story in this am's Herald hints Woosh salesdroids have been warned not
    to sell to 'net gamers 'cos of this...
    Peter KERR, Jan 20, 2004
  5. In <LLVOb.17285$> Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Woosh = extra speed, but also extra latency compared to 128k DSL
    >
    > You wont be able to play many online games where speed matters like
    > first person shooters
    >
    > But your downloads will probably be faster, Woosh claim 256k, but its
    > more like 200k
    >
    > Dont misunderestimate how much difference the extra latency will make
    > tho

    I had my first look at Woosh last night after a friend called for help
    installing it. I did a quick test and he was getting 25KiB/s downloading
    large, compressed files.

    My friend has a Mac, so I told him to be sure to get the ethernet cable
    since there are no Mac drivers for the USB interface. He went in to a
    local Vodaphone dealer, told them he had a Mac and got the modem and
    ethernet cable. They signed him up and sent him on his way. He tried
    setting it up, it didn't work, so he called me.

    I had a look at the brief instructions which he had followed and got
    everything right, but it still didn't work. The one thing that stuck out
    though was the paragraph that said you needed to register the modem
    using the Windows software before using it via the ethernet port. The
    shop is supposed to do it for you if you tell them you have a Mac, but
    when I asked it turns out the modem they gave him was still shrink-
    wrapped!

    Fortunately I had access to a Windows PC and could set it up for him.
    Everything worked fine on the Mac after that.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Jan 20, 2004
  6. ufo_hk

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    > I had a look at the brief instructions which he had followed and got
    > everything right, but it still didn't work. The one thing that stuck out
    > though was the paragraph that said you needed to register the modem
    > using the Windows software before using it via the ethernet port. The
    > shop is supposed to do it for you if you tell them you have a Mac, but
    > when I asked it turns out the modem they gave him was still shrink-
    > wrapped!
    >
    > Fortunately I had access to a Windows PC and could set it up for him.
    > Everything worked fine on the Mac after that.

    What was the windows software you needed to register the modem?

    --
    ~IRO
    IRO, Jan 20, 2004
  7. In <> IRO wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Roger Johnstone <> wrote:
    >
    >> I had a look at the brief instructions which he had followed and got
    >> everything right, but it still didn't work. The one thing that stuck
    >> out though was the paragraph that said you needed to register the
    >> modem using the Windows software before using it via the ethernet
    >> port. The shop is supposed to do it for you if you tell them you
    >> have a Mac, but when I asked it turns out the modem they gave him
    >> was still shrink- wrapped! Fortunately I had access to a Windows PC
    >> and could set it up for him. Everything worked fine on the Mac after
    >> that.

    > What was the windows software you needed to register the modem?

    It comes with a CD-ROM with Windows software and drivers for the USB
    interface. For some reason the USB driver makes it look like a modem on
    the end of a serial port rather than a network connection. After
    installing the drivers the installer program transfers your user name to
    the modem where it's kept in non-volatile memory. It's the equivalent of
    programming a cell phone with a phone number and only needs to be done
    once. After that you can log on to the network using your username and
    password and the PPPoE connection used by the Mac.

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    The Net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it

    John Gilmore
    Roger Johnstone, Jan 21, 2004
  8. ufo_hk

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    > > What was the windows software you needed to register the modem?

    > It comes with a CD-ROM with Windows software and drivers for the USB
    > interface. For some reason the USB driver makes it look like a modem on
    > the end of a serial port rather than a network connection. After
    > installing the drivers the installer program transfers your user name to
    > the modem where it's kept in non-volatile memory. It's the equivalent of
    > programming a cell phone with a phone number and only needs to be done
    > once. After that you can log on to the network using your username and
    > password and the PPPoE connection used by the Mac.

    Bummer they didn't use a browser to achieve the same end. I was
    pleasantly surprised today how much ratting about in the innards of
    Kyocera printers (FS-1010) can be done with regular ol' Internet
    Explorer.

    --
    ~IRO
    IRO, Jan 21, 2004