    configuration instruction given in the website of DLink, I must have a
    static IP address from my ISP Xtra. Is it a must? Or is there any way to
    work around? I don't want to use ICS from Windows.
    Philip, Mar 2, 2005

  2. On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:57:55 +1300, Philip wrote:

    > I am planning to set up a network of 2 computers using a switch (with an
    > uplink port) to join them together. My modem is DLink-302G. According to the
    > configuration instruction given in the website of DLink, I must have a
    > static IP address from my ISP Xtra. Is it a must? Or is there any way to
    > work around? I don't want to use ICS from Windows.

    The cd given to you by XTRA with your free adsl modem ( the 302G) will
    configure the 302G modem to receive the external ip via their dhcp (?)
    method all you have to do is configure your machines to use the internal
    ip of the modem as the gateway
    the normal ip that the modem is configured to use internally is
    10.1.1.1 (for the RJ45 plug)
    and
    10.1.1.2(for the USB)

    given your scenario.. once the modem has been configured (either manually
    or via the cd) you can indeed use the switch and two machines setup

    btw. Xtra adsl doesnt use static ips but some ISP's do..

    HTH

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 2, 2005

  3. Philip

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:57:55 +1300, Philip wrote:

    > I am planning to set up a network of 2 computers using a switch (with an
    > uplink port) to join them together. My modem is DLink-302G. According to the
    > configuration instruction given in the website of DLink, I must have a
    > static IP address from my ISP Xtra. Is it a must? Or is there any way to
    > work around? I don't want to use ICS from Windows.

    Bit lost here, web site, http://dlink.com.au/default.aspx?FolderID=221
    says, with some snipping

    Two computers can simultaneously connect to the DSL-302G through its USB and
    Ethernet port to share its high-speed Internet connection.

    The DSL-302G supports Static IP, Dynamic IP, as well as PPPoE/PPPoA and
    bridge connections terminating on the local PCs.

    Unquote

    Static IP address, so what the F is this dynamic support stuff ;-)

    Plug the modem into the hub, the PCs into the hub and go from there.

    BTW go Ethernet if possible, the technology has been tested over one long
    time.
    Gordon, Mar 2, 2005