    Telecom like to blame outages on my modem), are the DSE branded routers OK?

    They don't say anything about Mac compatibility, am I right in assuming
    I could just change the details via telnet, like I had to do with the Ni500?

    I'm a Trampoline, Sep 1, 2004

  2. I'm a Trampoline

    EMB Guest

    I'm a Trampoline wrote:

    > I have a Nokia Ni500, it's getting too erratic in it's behavior (it
    > sometimes needs a rest and then will work again later, either that or
    > Telecom like to blame outages on my modem), are the DSE branded routers OK?
    >
    > They don't say anything about Mac compatibility, am I right in assuming
    > I could just change the details via telnet, like I had to do with the
    > Ni500?

    DSE ones have always worked fine for me, and if a machine's got TCP/IP
    available on ethernet then it will talk to it ok.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Sep 1, 2004

  3. I'm a Trampoline

    XPD Guest

    "I'm a Trampoline" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Nokia Ni500, it's getting too erratic in it's behavior (it
    > sometimes needs a rest and then will work again later, either that or
    > Telecom like to blame outages on my modem), are the DSE branded routers

    OK?

    > They don't say anything about Mac compatibility, am I right in assuming
    > I could just change the details via telnet, like I had to do with the

    Ni500?

    Ni500's have a tendancy to overheat a lot... and they were a sod to setup.

    The DSE ones are fine, know a few people with them and never had an issue.
    All settings are done via a web interface - so its click and save :)

    XPD, Sep 1, 2004
  4. XPD wrote:

    > "I'm a Trampoline" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Nokia Ni500, it's getting too erratic in it's behavior (it
    >>sometimes needs a rest and then will work again later, either that or
    >>Telecom like to blame outages on my modem), are the DSE branded routers

    > OK?
    >
    >>They don't say anything about Mac compatibility, am I right in assuming
    >>I could just change the details via telnet, like I had to do with the

    > Ni500?
    >
    > Ni500's have a tendancy to overheat a lot... and they were a sod to setup.

    I had been thinking my connection problems were Telecom, I had a big
    long outage once and were told they were working to fix my exchange, so
    the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of these 24 hour outages (it's been happening every
    month now) I've been stupidly sitting waiting for it to come back on
    again, when it seems now a few hours with the modem off could have done
    it. I only got so sick of waiting today I called ihug, who called
    Telecom, who told them to tell me to turn it off for half an hour. After
    a day of trying every half hour, and it came right after about 3. I wish
    I'd have known (or thought myself) to try that earlier. I also wasted a
    whole day of my holidays playing with the modem.

    It's interesting that Telecom don't want to hear from you if you're not
    an Xtra customer (I just wanted to see if it was the same exchange
    problem I had earlier). Their phone system directs you to call your ISP,
    and lets you push a button to repeat the message, but do nothing else.
    This is funny considering they're getting $60 for the service (256k
    10GB) vs. ihug's $10, but don't take any responsibility for support.

    I'm a Trampoline, Sep 1, 2004
  5. I'm a Trampoline

    TEX Guest

    I'm a Trampoline wrote:

    > I have a Nokia Ni500, it's getting too erratic in it's behavior (it
    > sometimes needs a rest and then will work again later, either that or
    > Telecom like to blame outages on my modem), are the DSE branded routers OK?
    >
    > They don't say anything about Mac compatibility, am I right in assuming
    > I could just change the details via telnet, like I had to do with the
    > Ni500?

    The ni500 have a KNOWN fault with them. If you still have the blue
    covers on it, get it changed for FREE for the newer black enclosure.
    Otherwise if it is still having problems, INSIST you get a replacement
    M1122 or one that they can GUARANTEE is working properly.

    After I got my replacement M1122 when they could not 100% gurantee that
    the ni500 has not faults I have little to no drop offs. Maybe once a
    month. Where as the old ni500 would drop off 2-3 three times a day.

    The only way I could get my ni500 to work properly was to have the
    covers off and standing on it's end.

    The DSE routers are actually really good units. never had a problem with
    them, and have install over 20 of them. They are cheapy looking and
    don't even have screws to hold them together, but otherwise no problems
    with them at all.

    TEX

    TEX, Sep 1, 2004
  6. TEX wrote:

    > The ni500 have a KNOWN fault with them. If you still have the blue
    > covers on it, get it changed for FREE for the newer black enclosure.
    > Otherwise if it is still having problems, INSIST you get a replacement
    > M1122 or one that they can GUARANTEE is working properly.

    My Ni500 has a blueish-black case, so I have no idea which one of the
    two is is, I bought it from Chch and live in Greymouth, so it'd be a bit
    of trouble getting it looked at anyway. It's over 2 years old, I'm
    assuming the warranty wasn't three years, I'm prepared to cut my losses
    and just order a new one. I don't like being without my internet even
    for a day, and always have this fear in the back of my mind of it
    kicking the bucket at the worst time.

    I'm a Trampoline, Sep 1, 2004
  7. I'm a Trampoline

    JedMeister Guest

    The DSE router is great - mine goes for weeks at a time without requiring a
    reset.

    Although, the only thing that it does not support is UPnP, which is
    apparently required for MSN voice conversations - but thats the only gripe I
    had.

    JedMeister, Sep 1, 2004
  8. I'm a Trampoline

    TEX Guest

    I'm a Trampoline wrote:

    > TEX wrote:
    >

    >> The ni500 have a KNOWN fault with them. If you still have the blue
    >> covers on it, get it changed for FREE for the newer black enclosure.
    >> Otherwise if it is still having problems, INSIST you get a replacement
    >> M1122 or one that they can GUARANTEE is working properly.

    > My Ni500 has a blueish-black case, so I have no idea which one of the
    > two is is, I bought it from Chch and live in Greymouth, so it'd be a bit
    > of trouble getting it looked at anyway. It's over 2 years old, I'm
    > assuming the warranty wasn't three years, I'm prepared to cut my losses
    > and just order a new one. I don't like being without my internet even
    > for a day, and always have this fear in the back of my mind of it
    > kicking the bucket at the worst time.

    http://dsl.nokia.co.nz/ni500/index.htm

    Check on that site. If your unit looks like the big picture, that is the
    new case. If it the small picture it is the old case. You can request
    for them to send you a new box (no cost), so you don't have to muck
    around sending it back and forth. Anyway it "should" not matter how old
    the unit is, they "should" replace it for free with something that is
    working. It is a KNOWN fact in the dsl circles that these unit have a
    factory flaw in them, hence the big reason they were dropped from the
    market (except tricky dicky who were still selling them as old stock).
    The were used by telecom, before they were recalled.

    Bottom line is, they were selling a product that was dodgy to begin
    with, hence shoudl give you something they can guarantee works.
    Especially when they first came out they cost like $350 or some
    rediculous price like that.

    TEX

    TEX, Sep 1, 2004
  9. TEX wrote:

    > http://dsl.nokia.co.nz/ni500/index.htm
    >
    > Check on that site. If your unit looks like the big picture, that is the
    > new case. If it the small picture it is the old case. You can request
    > for them to send you a new box (no cost), so you don't have to muck
    > around sending it back and forth. Anyway it "should" not matter how old
    > the unit is, they "should" replace it for free with something that is
    > working. It is a KNOWN fact in the dsl circles that these unit have a
    > factory flaw in them, hence the big reason they were dropped from the
    > market (except tricky dicky who were still selling them as old stock).
    > The were used by telecom, before they were recalled.
    >
    > Bottom line is, they were selling a product that was dodgy to begin
    > with, hence shoudl give you something they can guarantee works.
    > Especially when they first came out they cost like $350 or some
    > rediculous price like that.

    Well it's MagnumMac, so I don't like my chances. But I've just sent an
    e-mail off to them.

    I do have the old case, if I can't get it replaced I'll get my sister
    who's a big Trademe fiend to sell it for me, either that or I'll take it
    over to Cash Converters one day. I can't imagine getting more than $50.
    The thing actually cost $388 inc. GST, that's amazing by today's standards.

    I'm a Trampoline, Sep 2, 2004
  10. I'm a Trampoline

    TEX Guest

    I'm a Trampoline wrote:

    > TEX wrote:
    >
    >> http://dsl.nokia.co.nz/ni500/index.htm
    >>
    >> Check on that site. If your unit looks like the big picture, that is
    >> the new case. If it the small picture it is the old case. You can
    >> request for them to send you a new box (no cost), so you don't have to
    >> muck around sending it back and forth. Anyway it "should" not matter
    >> how old the unit is, they "should" replace it for free with something
    >> that is working. It is a KNOWN fact in the dsl circles that these unit
    >> have a factory flaw in them, hence the big reason they were dropped
    >> from the market (except tricky dicky who were still selling them as
    >> old stock). The were used by telecom, before they were recalled.
    >>
    >> Bottom line is, they were selling a product that was dodgy to begin
    >> with, hence shoudl give you something they can guarantee works.
    >> Especially when they first came out they cost like $350 or some
    >> rediculous price like that.

    > Well it's MagnumMac, so I don't like my chances. But I've just sent an
    > e-mail off to them.
    >
    > I do have the old case, if I can't get it replaced I'll get my sister
    > who's a big Trademe fiend to sell it for me, either that or I'll take it
    > over to Cash Converters one day. I can't imagine getting more than $50.
    > The thing actually cost $388 inc. GST, that's amazing by today's standards.

    Contact the agents listed in on the site. It should be datacom. They are
    the only ppl responsible for the units.

    Best of luck

    TEX

    TEX, Sep 2, 2004