    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Phillip Weston

    T.N.O. Guest

    Phillip Weston wrote:
    > Also, which ISP has the best DSL deal, I am looking to pay around $60
    > a month, and I would like at least a 10GB International data cap.

    Router, no idea, but ISP, I say Orcon if you want a 10GB at least cap.
    $40 15GB cap.

    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003

  3. Phillip Weston

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:52:25 +1300, Phillip Weston
    <> wrote:

    >Ok, I'm moving house soon, and I have decided to go with DSL as
    >opposed to second line and dialup modem.
    >
    >I've been looking at routers and so far I like the Dynalink RTA300
    >router. Does anyone have experiences with this router? How easy is it
    >to setup? What is it like feature wise?
    >
    >Alternatively, what other routers might you recommend?

    Pretty much everyone seems to have a favourite router and despises the
    rest. <grin>

    I like external routers and I've had no problems with the M1122 and
    the DSL504. It pretty much comes down to what features you want.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Phillip Weston

    David Guest

    > I like external routers and I've had no problems with the M1122 and
    > the DSL504. It pretty much comes down to what features you want.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Agree - been running a M1122 for about 2 years or longer - no problems,
    running 4 computers through it - Lan and using it for internet, also use
    ihug with a 10gig cap - no real issue there either...but then it is persoanl
    preference.

    Oh, and for those who are continuing the ~ tilde discussion further down,
    funnily enough all computers run Win Oe's, use Outlook; and as well as the
    router each computer has a virus checker and it's own system security, and
    never ever has any of them been infected by a virus. And all the children
    have been taught what to do with attachments etc etc.

    David

    David, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Phillip Weston

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:43:02 +1300, David wrote:

    > Oh, and for those who are continuing the ~ tilde discussion further down,
    > funnily enough all computers run Win Oe's, use Outlook; and as well as the
    > router each computer has a virus checker and it's own system security, and
    > never ever has any of them been infected by a virus. And all the children
    > have been taught what to do with attachments etc etc.

    And long may it continue ;-)

    Gordon, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Phillip Weston

    Martin Guest

    "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    message
    > I've been looking at routers and so far I like the Dynalink RTA300
    > router. Does anyone have experiences with this router? How easy is it
    > to setup? What is it like feature wise?
    >
    > Alternatively, what other routers might you recommend?

    The RTA 300 is quite nice - very easy setup - its usually preconfigured for
    NZ. Has rudimentary firewall, supports VPN passthru (if needed) and I
    haven't had any complaints come back from clients - always a good sign (-;

    cheers

    Martin

    Martin, Nov 28, 2003
  7. In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    >I like external routers and I've had no problems with the M1122 and
    >the DSL504. It pretty much comes down to what features you want.

    Is there much difference feature-wise between different brands? I
    thought they all did DHCP and ENAT with pinholing, just for example.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2003
  8. Phillip Weston

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:30:09 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >>I like external routers and I've had no problems with the M1122 and
    >>the DSL504. It pretty much comes down to what features you want.

    >Is there much difference feature-wise between different brands? I
    >thought they all did DHCP and ENAT with pinholing, just for example.

    I pretty much get that impression, though the only two that I've had
    my hands on are the tweo above. I don't think you can buy the M1122
    any more.

    Enkidu, Nov 30, 2003
  9. In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:30:09 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Enkidu <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I like external routers and I've had no problems with the M1122 and
    >>>the DSL504. It pretty much comes down to what features you want.

    >>Is there much difference feature-wise between different brands? I
    >>thought they all did DHCP and ENAT with pinholing, just for example.

    >I pretty much get that impression, though the only two that I've had
    >my hands on are the tweo above. I don't think you can buy the M1122
    >any more.

    One of my clients had an older Alcatel Speed Touch Pro, but even that
    had the above features. To configure the pinholing, you had to resort to
    the Telnet command line, but the feature was there. When he moved to
    TelstraClear ADSL, they gave him a new router as part of the deal--I
    think it's a DynaLink. That one lets you configure everything (including
    pinholing) via its Web interface. I imagine that's true of newer models
    from all brands generally.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2003