    Thanks.

    --
    John B

    John B, Jul 24, 2004

  2. John B

    Steve Guest

    John B wrote:
    > My wife has a laptop and I have a pc.
    >
    > I'm on jetstream 256. She has her own dial up connection.
    >
    > Want to get a 4 port router so we can both use jetstream.
    >
    > Thing is we use different isp's. If I get a router can we both access internet
    > with different isp's through same router?
    >
    > Any suggestions as to a good brand and model router to buy?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > John B

    Why keep with 2 isps... it's just double the cost. You can still usually
    read mail from the remote isp while you're informing everyone of the change.

    Get an external router for sure... they seem to provide a far higher
    level of protection than the usb ones ( that's from my personal
    experience of fixing pc's connected via both methods ).

    $0.02

    Steve

    Steve, Jul 24, 2004

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > John B wrote:
    >> My wife has a laptop and I have a pc.
    >>
    >> I'm on jetstream 256. She has her own dial up connection.
    >>
    >> Want to get a 4 port router so we can both use jetstream.
    >>
    >> Thing is we use different isp's. If I get a router can we both
    >> access internet with different isp's through same router?
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to a good brand and model router to buy?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John B
    >>

    > Why keep with 2 isps... it's just double the cost. You can still
    > usually read mail from the remote isp while you're informing everyone
    > of the change.
    >
    > Get an external router for sure... they seem to provide a far higher
    > level of protection than the usb ones ( that's from my personal
    > experience of fixing pc's connected via both methods ).
    >
    > $0.02
    >
    > Steve

    Yeah... definitely external.

    Think I'll go wireless too. Save cableing. And one isp is right too. She can use
    my connection. May be able to get her company to pay for it, or some of it at
    least. My wife can still have her dial up when out of town.

    --
    John B

    John B, Jul 24, 2004
  4. John B

    MarkH Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in

    > Think I'll go wireless too. Save cableing. And one isp is right too.
    > She can use my connection. May be able to get her company to pay for
    > it, or some of it at least. My wife can still have her dial up when
    > out of town.

    As long as she is not on Xtra you should be fine. Xtra customers are
    unable to access pop3.xtra.co.nz to pick up incoming E-Mail if they are
    connect by a different ISP.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jul 24, 2004
  5. John B

    John B Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "John B" <> wrote in
    >

    >> Think I'll go wireless too. Save cableing. And one isp is right too.
    >> She can use my connection. May be able to get her company to pay for
    >> it, or some of it at least. My wife can still have her dial up when
    >> out of town.

    > As long as she is not on Xtra you should be fine. Xtra customers are
    > unable to access pop3.xtra.co.nz to pick up incoming E-Mail if they
    > are connect by a different ISP.

    No, it's fine. She can use my connection. Her email handled through her work
    server.

    --
    John B

    John B, Jul 24, 2004
  6. John B wrote:

    > No, it's fine. She can use my connection. Her email handled through her
    > work server.

    No need for a separate ISP then. Just have the one connection. The external
    ADSL routers you can get are quite good. Wireless is good, but if you do go
    that way make sure you set up the encryption.

    DSE wireless access points can come preconfigured to work out of the box
    with Windows XP. The problem is that while it works - it works for everyone
    else as well. Make sure you set up the WEP access keys on the access point
    and the machines using it.

    Peter Harrison, Jul 26, 2004