    what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?

    From what I have seen there isn't much available.

    Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link DSL-500

    any suggestions?

    cheers

    -{-astrae-}-, Oct 14, 2003

  2. -{-astrae-}-

    T.N.O. Guest

    "-{-astrae-}-" wrote
    > what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    > any suggestions?

    There is a Nokia M1122 for sale in nz.wanted they are asking for offers.

    T.N.O., Oct 14, 2003

  3. -{-astrae-}-

    rob Guest

    "-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    > hi everyone
    >
    > what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    >
    > From what I have seen there isn't much available.
    >
    > Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link DSL-500
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > cheers

    I have a DSE XH7916 (since been replaced by xh1149) - I know... it's Dick
    Smith crap, but I've had no problems whatsoever in the 7 or 8 months I've
    had it.
    adls router with 4 port switch and USB port, DHCP server, and stuff
    I see they're on special at present for $198 (darn it, I paid $258)

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f8b419c03f08208273fc0a87f9906e5
    /Product/View/XH1149

    rgds
    Rob

    rob, Oct 14, 2003
  4. -{-astrae-}-

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:25:16 +1300, "rob" <> wrote:

    >"-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    >> hi everyone
    >>
    >> what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    >>
    >> From what I have seen there isn't much available.
    >>
    >> Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link DSL-500
    >>
    >> any suggestions?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>

    >I have a DSE XH7916 (since been replaced by xh1149) - I know... it's Dick
    >Smith crap, but I've had no problems whatsoever in the 7 or 8 months I've
    >had it.
    >adls router with 4 port switch and USB port, DHCP server, and stuff
    >I see they're on special at present for $198 (darn it, I paid $258)
    >
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f8b419c03f08208273fc0a87f9906e5
    >/Product/View/XH1149
    >
    >rgds
    >Rob

    Ive got a dynalink I bought from Dick Smiths a coupla years ago.
    I gave up on adsl so if you want it you can have it for 50 bucks
    (I paid 250 ish) There is no built in hub, but ive got an old 12 port
    one of those as well if you are interested.

    cheers
    Warwick

    Warwick, Oct 14, 2003
  5. -{-astrae-}-

    Allistar Guest

    -{-astrae-}- wrote:

    > hi everyone
    >
    > what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    >
    > From what I have seen there isn't much available.
    >
    > Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link DSL-500
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > cheers

    Take a look at www.graysonline.co.nz, they are a great online auction
    auction site and often have ADSL routers up for sale.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 14, 2003
  6. -{-astrae-}-

    BTMO Guest

    "rob" <> wrote

    > > what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?

    > I have a DSE XH7916 (since been replaced by xh1149) - I know... it's Dick
    > Smith crap, but I've had no problems whatsoever in the 7 or 8 months I've
    > had it.

    I have had one for ages. It works a treat. Three PCs connect to the net with
    it nearly every day, for extensive periods of time.

    No problems at all. Cheap and effective.

    Cheers,

    BTMO, Oct 14, 2003
  7. -{-astrae-}-

    Mike_P Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:25:16 +1300, "rob" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    > >> hi everyone
    > >>
    > >> what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    > >>
    > >> From what I have seen there isn't much available.
    > >>
    > >> Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link DSL-500
    > >>
    > >> any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> cheers
    > >>

    > >I have a DSE XH7916 (since been replaced by xh1149) - I know... it's Dick
    > >Smith crap, but I've had no problems whatsoever in the 7 or 8 months I've
    > >had it.
    > >adls router with 4 port switch and USB port, DHCP server, and stuff
    > >I see they're on special at present for $198 (darn it, I paid $258)
    > >

    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f8b419c03f08208273fc0a87f9906e

    5
    > >/Product/View/XH1149
    > >
    > >rgds
    > >Rob
    > >

    > Ive got a dynalink I bought from Dick Smiths a coupla years ago.
    > I gave up on adsl so if you want it you can have it for 50 bucks
    > (I paid 250 ish) There is no built in hub, but ive got an old 12 port
    > one of those as well if you are interested.
    >
    > cheers
    > Warwick

    If he doesn't take you up on that offer then I certianly will...

    Mike_P, Oct 14, 2003
  8. -{-astrae-}-

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:04:27 +1300, "-{-astrae-}-"
    <> wrote:

    >hi everyone
    >
    >what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    >
    >From what I have seen there isn't much available.
    >
    >Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link DSL-500

    I have a DSL-504. Hasn't missed a beat. Before that I had an M1122,
    Didn't miss a beat.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Oct 14, 2003
  9. -{-astrae-}-

    rob Guest

    "The Flash" <> wrote in message

    > "rob" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    > > > hi everyone
    > > >
    > > > what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    > > >
    > > > From what I have seen there isn't much available.
    > > >
    > > > Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link

    DSL-500

    > > > any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > cheers
    > > >

    > > I have a DSE XH7916 (since been replaced by xh1149) - I know... it's

    Dick
    > > Smith crap, but I've had no problems whatsoever in the 7 or 8 months

    I've
    > > had it.
    > > adls router with 4 port switch and USB port, DHCP server, and stuff
    > > I see they're on special at present for $198 (darn it, I paid $258)

    > I use a Nokia M1122 cost like $1100 + Gst! when I got it but has been

    going
    > for 3 years. HAve use a lot of the DSE xh1149
    > and like them very configurable!
    >
    > I see that DSE has the slightly older XH7916 avalible as an end of line

    item
    > for $167 from most of its branches, this would have to be the way to go.

    I agree, didn't see that.

    What do you think about the security/firewall features of the xh7916 as
    opposed to the xh1149 (or some of the bigger $$$ routers)?
    Since getting the 7916 (I was a virgin adsl user) I found it didn't do
    stealthing, also haven't found any sort of firewall features in it...
    While on the topic, how important is stealthing of ports?, do people
    actually try to break into your network if they detect a closed port. Would
    it be harder to break into an expensive name brand adsl router than a $167
    DSE one?.
    hmmm.. sorry about the outburst but I've been wondering for a while now
    you can tell I'm no security expert can't you...
    rgs
    rob

    rob, Oct 14, 2003
  10. -{-astrae-}-

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    > While on the topic, how important is stealthing of ports?, do people
    > actually try to break into your network if they detect a closed port.

    Would
    > it be harder to break into an expensive name brand adsl router than a $167
    > DSE one?.
    > hmmm.. sorry about the outburst but I've been wondering for a while now
    > you can tell I'm no security expert can't you...

    I'd be really interested in peoples opinions of this as well

    -{-astrae-}-, Oct 14, 2003
  11. -{-astrae-}-

    Bob Guest

    I highly recommend the Plexuscom ADSL router. It has Ethernet and USB
    ports.

    I use one myself and have installed 4 or 5 of them for friends. No problems
    at all.

    Bob, Oct 14, 2003
  12. -{-astrae-}-

    rob Guest

    I run Zonealarm on my main computer also, although there never seems to be
    anything in the incoming log.
    I've ran a scan or two from grc and others, always comes up with closed
    ports except for 80, which 'only appearsto be open' according DSE...

    No I haven't updated the firmware, <ruffles feathers> cluck cluck cluck
    cluck.
    rgds
    rob

    rob, Oct 14, 2003
  13. -{-astrae-}-

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:25:19 +1300, "Mike_P"
    <pynenburg*at*hotmail*dot*com> wrote:

    >"Warwick" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:25:16 +1300, "rob" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message

    >> >I have a DSE XH7916 (since been replaced by xh1149) - I know... it's Dick
    >> >Smith crap, but I've had no problems whatsoever in the 7 or 8 months I've
    >> >had it.
    >> >adls router with 4 port switch and USB port, DHCP server, and stuff
    >> >I see they're on special at present for $198 (darn it, I paid $258)
    >> >

    >>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f8b419c03f08208273fc0a87f9906e

    >5
    >> >/Product/View/XH1149
    >> >
    >> >rgds
    >> >Rob
    >> >

    >> Ive got a dynalink I bought from Dick Smiths a coupla years ago.
    >> I gave up on adsl so if you want it you can have it for 50 bucks
    >> (I paid 250 ish) There is no built in hub, but ive got an old 12 port
    >> one of those as well if you are interested.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> Warwick
    >>

    >If he doesn't take you up on that offer then I certianly will...

    You are welcome to it Mike, the other chap has not expressed an
    interest.
    I sent mail to your hotmail address in the header of your post, but I
    guess , like me, you are sick of the spam and never read hotmail mail
    :)

    If thats the case add to ur contacts and open a
    chat with me.

    cheers
    Warwick

    btw I have also got two 266 Mhz and one 133 MHz machines, which I dont
    need. They are useful if you want to make a linux gateway for the
    router - this gives you a great deal of flexibility in firewalling.

    Warwick, Oct 15, 2003
  14. -{-astrae-}-

    SNOman Guest

    -{-astrae-}- wrote:

    > hi everyone
    >
    > what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    >
    > From what I have seen there isn't much available.
    >
    > Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link DSL-500
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > cheers

    I've got a ASUS AAM6000EV that I could be persuaded to part with for $100

    Had it from new for about 2 years now. Zero probs. I've still got the
    manual and think I have the original box somewhere.

    http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=AAM6000EV&langs=01#

    SNOman, Oct 15, 2003
  15. -{-astrae-}-

    The Flash Guest

    The Flash, Oct 15, 2003
  16. -{-astrae-}-

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    Thats the model I've currently got. Having security problems with it.
    Ports keep opening up by themselves.

    Found Port 139 pointed at one of my machines the other day. These open
    ports do not show up in the Admin pages. Updated the firmware, change the
    admin password often... still happens. A friend of mine has got one too and
    port 110 (pop3) keeps opening up.

    Ever had this?

    -{-astrae-}-, Oct 15, 2003
  17. -{-astrae-}-

    The Flash Guest

    The Flash, Oct 15, 2003
  18. -{-astrae-}-

    SNOman Guest

    -{-astrae-}- wrote:
    > Thats the model I've currently got. Having security problems with it.
    > Ports keep opening up by themselves.
    >
    > Found Port 139 pointed at one of my machines the other day. These open
    > ports do not show up in the Admin pages. Updated the firmware, change the
    > admin password often... still happens. A friend of mine has got one too and
    > port 110 (pop3) keeps opening up.
    >
    > Ever had this?
    >

    > "SNOman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>-{-astrae-}- wrote:
    >>

    >>>hi everyone
    >>>
    >>>what are everyones recommodations for a < $300 adsl router?
    >>>
    >>>From what I have seen there isn't much available.
    >>>
    >>>Currently looking at: Dynalink RTA 220, Alcatel 510 v4 & D-Link DSL-500
    >>>
    >>>any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>cheers
    >>>

    >>I've got a ASUS AAM6000EV that I could be persuaded to part with for $100
    >>
    >>Had it from new for about 2 years now. Zero probs. I've still got the
    >>manual and think I have the original box somewhere.
    >>
    >>http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=AAM6000EV&langs=01#

    Never had any problems with mine, everything seems rock solid. I check
    it fairly often.

    SNOman, Oct 15, 2003