    Fred Guest

    Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
    (1000MBps) ethernet hub?

    Fred, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Fred wrote:
    > Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
    > (1000MBps) ethernet hub?

    Can't say I do... most of them are made for home use, and have 100Mbit
    on offer, so you'll probably have to go higher end for a Gbit one.
    Have a look around the cisco site.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Fred

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:59:48 GMT, "Fred" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
    >(1000MBps) ethernet hub?

    Now, what on earth would be the point of that?

    You'd be paying absolutely massive amounts for it (Cisco et al), and,
    due to the speed of ADSL, would be a total of 0% faster than a
    standard ADSL router combined with a seperate gigabit switch. And the
    internet connection itself would be no faster with a gigabit switch
    than with a 10/100Mbps switch, or 10Mbps hub, for that matter.

    Why do you want it? Is it just so you can tell your friends you have
    it, or do you have a practical reason?

    Gurble, Sep 1, 2004
  4. Fred

    Tim Guest

    Save yer dosh and get one with one port, then plug it into an affordable
    gigabit switch.

    Tim, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Background for those who have a need for more info before actually
    addressing the question:
    I have 3 machines with gigabit ethernet cards, going to be networked, will
    need a hub/switch, firewall, and adsl modem ... obvious first line of
    enquiry is to look at all in one solutions. Probably too expensive but
    need to weigh up cost/convenience but have still not heard of any examples
    to check out.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in article
    <>...
    > Can't say I do... most of them are made for home use, and have 100Mbit
    > on offer, so you'll probably have to go higher end for a Gbit one.
    > Have a look around the cisco site.

    Thanks, a likely source, probably more expensive than any available
    alternatives, but worth a look just to see if any such beasts exist.

    Gurble <> gurbled in article
    <>...
    > Now, what on earth would be the point of that?

    > Why do you want it? Is it just so you can tell your friends you have
    > it, or do you have a practical reason?

    No, it's not to enhance my pen*s size.

    Tim <> wrote in article <ch3ucn$6j6$>...
    > Save yer dosh and get one with one port, then plug it into an affordable
    > gigabit switch.

    Yes, almost certainly the most cost effective solution and probably the way
    we will go.

    Fred, Sep 1, 2004
  6. Fred

    fred Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message news:<01c48fc0$846c4f40$6401a8c0@amd450>...
    > Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
    > (1000MBps) ethernet hub?

    I see there was a discussion of this in July on uk.telecom.broadband
    (search for article in
    google groups). At that stage it seemed there were no such beasts
    available, despite there being some demand.

    fred, Sep 1, 2004
  7. Fred

    Phatputer Guest

    "fred" <> wrote in message
    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of an ADSL firewall/router that has a built in Gigabit
    >> (1000MBps) ethernet hub?

    > I see there was a discussion of this in July on uk.telecom.broadband
    > (search for article in
    > google groups). At that stage it seemed there were no such beasts
    > available, despite there being some demand.

    As far as I can decern all you need is a standard ADSL router, ie 100 base
    port on it, get yourself a 5-8port gigabit "Switch" which will allow you to
    connect computers up at Gigabit speeds to each other and also talk to
    router. As long as its a switch (as far as I know you can't get a Gigabit
    hub) then you should be sorted.

    Estimate paying between $200-$300 for a 5-8port Gigabit Switch

    Cheers
    Dave
    Please correct me if im wrong with this.

    Phatputer, Sep 1, 2004
  8. Fred

    Richard Guest

    Phatputer wrote:

    > As far as I can decern all you need is a standard ADSL router, ie 100 base
    > port on it, get yourself a 5-8port gigabit "Switch" which will allow you to
    > connect computers up at Gigabit speeds to each other and also talk to
    > router. As long as its a switch (as far as I know you can't get a Gigabit
    > hub) then you should be sorted.
    >
    > Estimate paying between $200-$300 for a 5-8port Gigabit Switch

    yeah, thats the only way, with the inherent problem of another box, a few more
    wires and most likly another one of those fairy annoying AC adaptors that hang
    off the powerpoint blocking the ones beside it in any normal powerstrip.

    Also, look for jumboframe support in any switch you get. In my testing that
    speeds up copying large DVD rips etc about 2.5-3 times over gigabit with the
    normal frame size. SMC do some with 9k frame support.

    Richard, Sep 2, 2004