ADSL Router, VPN setup etc

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Neal Phillips, May 10, 2005.

  1. Hi All
    I supply custom software packages to a range of small businesses.
    In years gone by I could set up their new computer hardware in my home
    office and have the remote support (modem dial up) all configured and tested
    before I delivered it.
    i.e. I could drop their new gear in place with full confidence that I could
    dial in remotely and sort out any issues they might have.
    I used an old PABX system to test the dial up connection before delivery.

    Now all the remote support is over the internet connection using VPN, VNC ,
    radmin or something similar.
    I'm still very hit and miss with setting up the routers, port forwarding
    etc. About one time in four I get it right first time. The rest of the time
    I have to go back to the site and try again.
    I guess this ratio will improve as I understand the issues better but, in
    the meantime what I'd really like to do is set up & test their computer &
    router in my home office before delivery.
    i.e. have a valid test of remote support connection using only the one adsl
    connection I have in my office.
    Any bright ideas on how I might achieve this?

    TIA
    Neal

    Neal Phillips, May 10, 2005

  2. Neal Phillips wrote:
    > Any bright ideas on how I might achieve this?

    get DSL, but maintain a dialup account... configure the DSL router for
    the remote site, port forwarding etc... dialup to the net, and check.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 10, 2005

  3. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Neal Phillips wrote:
    > > Any bright ideas on how I might achieve this?

    > get DSL, but maintain a dialup account... configure the DSL router for
    > the remote site, port forwarding etc... dialup to the net, and check.

    Thanks Dave.

    Neal Phillips, May 10, 2005