    Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated

    With thanks

    Mike S

    Mike Smith, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Mike Smith

    EMB Guest

    Mike Smith wrote:
    > I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
    > Jetstream via a router with built in switch
    >
    > Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
    > ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
    > dialup connections
    >
    > Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated

    What sort of router (brand, model)?

    As a start, use DHCP to assign IP addresses, change the default admin
    password on the router, disable access to port 80 from the web.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Sep 20, 2004

  3. In article <>, m-
    says...

    > I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
    > Jetstream via a router with built in switch
    >
    > Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
    > ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
    > dialup connections
    >
    > Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated
    >
    > With thanks
    >
    > Mike S

    Er buy some Network cables (+ cards) ?
    Read the router manual long enough to find out what IP address it uses
    for configuration and the default admin username/password...

    wogers nemesis, Sep 20, 2004
  4. Mike Smith

    Mike Smith Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:43:09 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Mike Smith wrote:
    >> I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
    >> Jetstream via a router with built in switch
    >>
    >> Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
    >> ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
    >> dialup connections
    >>
    >> Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated

    >What sort of router (brand, model)?

    Was looking at using the Xtra Jetstream starter pack sold by Harvey
    Normans, which uses the D-Link DSL-504

    >As a start, use DHCP to assign IP addresses, change the default admin
    >password on the router, disable access to port 80 from the web.

    Thanks

    Mike Smith, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Mike Smith

    Mike Smith Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:26:54 +1200, wogers nemesis
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, m-
    > says...
    >>

    >> I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
    >> Jetstream via a router with built in switch
    >>
    >> Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
    >> ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
    >> dialup connections
    >>
    >> Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated
    >>
    >> With thanks
    >>
    >> Mike S
    >>

    >Er buy some Network cables (+ cards) ?

    Both machines have on board network ports already

    Mike Smith, Sep 21, 2004
  6. Mike Smith

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Hi Mike

    A common frustration is not being able to connect to the router to configure
    it. This is a problem if your machines have fixed IPs and the netmasks stop
    you seeing the router.

    The two routers I have played with turned up on 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1.
    If your machine is on a 192.168.x.x address, just set your netmask to
    255.255.0.0 and all will be sweet.

    And if you use the DHCP facility that a modern router usually provides, even
    less hassle.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Mike Smith

    EMB Guest

    Mike Smith wrote:

    > Was looking at using the Xtra Jetstream starter pack sold by Harvey
    > Normans, which uses the D-Link DSL-504

    Don't. Go to Dick Smith Electronics and buy the DSE branded ADSL router
    from them (part no. XH1169). They are reliable, easy to set up and
    reasonably good value for money, and also DSE offer good warranty
    service if anything does go wrong.

    EMB, Sep 21, 2004
  8. Mike Smith wrote:
    > I am going to to connect two computers (both running WinXP Home) to
    > Jetstream via a router with built in switch
    >
    > Any pointers as to be aware off when setting this sort of thing up?
    > ,both machines currently standlone straight out of the box, on std
    > dialup connections
    >
    > Any thoughts, comments, tips appreciated

    Mike, I've done my home system with 3 x XP into a DSE XH1149 router. Simply
    used the wizard for connections into the router, plugged the adsl line into
    the router and set logons via the web browser.

    Works a treat, each pc running NAV and ZA Pro = no a single problem. Here,
    XP have things sorted out quite well.

    Good luck.

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 21, 2004
  9. Mike Smith