ADSL Router not connecting.....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. Hi all,
    just bought new Modem/Router but have run into config probs:
    The modem is a 'Sweex' Wireless ADSL Modem+Router+4 Port 10/100 Switch
    Annex-A .
    (Please enter[ cc400010UK ] in search bar at,
    WWW.SWEEX.COM
    for product Specs.)
    I'm using XP Pro SP2 on a desktop PC, which I intend to connect to the
    Modem/Router using ethernet.
    The laptop is wireless enabled with a MiniPCI WLAN 802.11g and OS is XP Home.
    I've followed the instructions as far as I can tell and changed the IP on
    the desktop. The next instruction is to open the browser (IE) and
    enter 10.0.0.2 (default gateway)in the search bar. But the desktop won't
    open the browser.
    Error message says "Web
    page unavailable offline" and internet connection (Wannadoo) is telling me
    that there is "no dial tone" and to "make sure the modem is connected to the
    computer and telephone line."
    The ADSL (phone) line is plugged into the Router and Router is
    connected via ethernet to PC, so why won't it 'see' it. Could there be a
    vital 'Service' disabled? Am I right in thinking that my old USB Broadband
    Modem (supplied by ISP) is now redundant and the new Modem /Router should
    kick in and take over?
    Hope this info helps,
    TIA
    J.J.
    UK.
    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 16, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=

    Ashok S. Guest

    "J.J." <> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ:
    > Hi all,
    > just bought new Modem/Router but have run into config probs:
    > The modem is a 'Sweex' Wireless ADSL Modem+Router+4 Port 10/100 Switch
    > Annex-A .
    > (Please enter[ cc400010UK ] in search bar at,
    > WWW.SWEEX.COM
    > for product Specs.)
    > I'm using XP Pro SP2 on a desktop PC, which I intend to connect to the
    > Modem/Router using ethernet.
    > The laptop is wireless enabled with a MiniPCI WLAN 802.11g and OS is XP
    > Home.
    > I've followed the instructions as far as I can tell and changed the IP on
    > the desktop. The next instruction is to open the browser (IE) and
    > enter 10.0.0.2 (default gateway)in the search bar. But the desktop won't
    > open the browser.
    > Error message says "Web
    > page unavailable offline" and internet connection (Wannadoo) is telling me
    > that there is "no dial tone" and to "make sure the modem is connected to
    > the
    > computer and telephone line."
    > The ADSL (phone) line is plugged into the Router and Router is
    > connected via ethernet to PC, so why won't it 'see' it. Could there be a
    > vital 'Service' disabled? Am I right in thinking that my old USB Broadband
    > Modem (supplied by ISP) is now redundant and the new Modem /Router should
    > kick in and take over?
    > Hope this info helps,
    > TIA
    > J.J.
    > UK.

    If I understand everything correct, you have desktop PC connected to router
    through cable (patch cord).
    Click start>run and type cmd and hit enter. In the dos window that opens,
    type ipconfig and hit enter and note the default gateway address. You can
    access the web configuration page at this addy.
    By default it is 10.0.0.2 but check it out the above said way.
    Also make sure the DSL link light is up.

    Ashok S.
    Ashok S., Jan 17, 2005

  3. ok J.J., lets start from the beginning.
    1) You connect your modem/Router Phone Jack to the wall phone jack.
    2) You connect the Modem/Router to your Desktops ethernet port.
    3) Do not use use your old Modem, use only the modem/router you just bought.
    4) Turn your Modem/Router on and then turn your Desktop on.
    5) Have you loaded the drivers and/or software provided to you with your new
    modem/router?
    6) If yes, check your task bar. Is the Local Area Connection icon showing a
    good connection, or does it have a Red X on it?
    7) If it shows a connection then try and connect to the modem/router via
    your browser.
    8) Can you connect?

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Hi Robert,
    thanks for the response but I now have everything up and
    running. Just to put you in the picture, I'm running a desktop and laptop,
    both XP, through a wireless ADSL modem/router. The desktop is connected via
    ethernet, the laptop is wireless.The only remaining question is, do I still
    need a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm on both PC's or will Windows
    Firewall cover both. And do I need to turn on WEP in wireless connection?
    TIA
    J.J.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 21, 2005
  5. If you have SP2 on your desktop and laptop enable the new windows firewall
    on both systems, that will be more then enough protection. If you are still
    running SP1 then yes install zone alarm on both systems as well. If im
    understanding right the laptop is access the internet via the wireless
    connection. That is why you will need a firewall program on both systems. If
    the laptop was access the internet through your desktops shared internet
    connection, then you would only have to put it on the desktop.

    As far as WEP is concerned, I would enable it, just for a little added
    protection from curious neighbors who might have, or might get a wireless
    setup. Its like when a neighbor walks by your window and is compeled to look
    into your place just to see. If you dont want him to look, close the
    curtains, and thats what WEP is, a curtain on your wireless network, but if
    someone wants in bad enough and has the skill, they can defeat it, just like
    smashing your window to get in your place.

    Also besides WEP, if your router is capable, then I would also assign a
    static IP to your Laptop and block all other IPs from connecting to your
    router wirelessly. That will be the biggest protection against wireless
    intruders. Hope that helps,

    Robert....

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 21, 2005
  6. HI Rob, thanks for putting me straight. Keep up the good work for us newbies
    out there. Happy New Year to you and yours.
    J.J.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 22, 2005
  7. Glad to help J. J.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 22, 2005