ADSL router/modem etc - recommendations please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Puddle, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. Puddle

    Puddle Guest

    Hello,

    My ADSL router just died and am trying to decide on what to get next and
    am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

    I am looking for....

    builtin ADSL and probably adsl2 though not essential
    UPNP
    reliability (dont want it dropping connections all the time etc)
    can handle lots of connections (p2p)
    has plenty of port mappings
    4 ethernet ports would be nice but one is enough.

    builtin wireless might be good, if i can turn that part off when i dont
    need it..

    I am thinking about the linksys wrt54g, it is a bit old now but seems to
    have so much 3rd party firmware that seems to be really good and many
    people ranting about it...

    Anyone used the newer wag200g?

    Anyway look forward to hearing opinions!

    Thanks
    Puddle, Sep 20, 2007

  2. Puddle

    XPD Guest

    "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My ADSL router just died and am trying to decide on what to get next and
    > am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

    Ive got a 3Com OfficeConnect (3CRWDR100A-72) and has been great.
    ADSL/ADSL2+, 11g Wifi, 4 port 100mb ethernet, SNMP etc etc

    The slightly newer version is out but stuff all difference from what ive
    seen. Can pick them up for about $120 I think.
    XPD, Sep 21, 2007

  3. Puddle

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My ADSL router just died and am trying to decide on what to get next and
    > am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
    >
    > I am looking for....
    >
    > builtin ADSL and probably adsl2 though not essential
    > UPNP
    > reliability (dont want it dropping connections all the time etc)
    > can handle lots of connections (p2p)
    > has plenty of port mappings
    > 4 ethernet ports would be nice but one is enough.
    >
    > builtin wireless might be good, if i can turn that part off when i dont
    > need it..
    >
    > I am thinking about the linksys wrt54g, it is a bit old now but seems to
    > have so much 3rd party firmware that seems to be really good and many
    > people ranting about it...
    >
    > Anyone used the newer wag200g?
    >
    > Anyway look forward to hearing opinions!

    I'm looking for the same thing but havn't been able to find one with 1 gig
    ports.
    Craig Sutton, Sep 21, 2007
  4. Puddle

    EMB Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My ADSL router just died and am trying to decide on what to get next
    >> and am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
    >>
    >> I am looking for....
    >>
    >> builtin ADSL and probably adsl2 though not essential
    >> UPNP
    >> reliability (dont want it dropping connections all the time etc)
    >> can handle lots of connections (p2p)
    >> has plenty of port mappings
    >> 4 ethernet ports would be nice but one is enough.
    >>
    >> builtin wireless might be good, if i can turn that part off when i
    >> dont need it..
    >>
    >> I am thinking about the linksys wrt54g, it is a bit old now but seems
    >> to have so much 3rd party firmware that seems to be really good and
    >> many people ranting about it...
    >>
    >> Anyone used the newer wag200g?
    >>
    >> Anyway look forward to hearing opinions!
    >>

    > I'm looking for the same thing but havn't been able to find one with 1
    > gig ports.

    You won't. Just plug a Gb switch nto one port of a 100Mb router and
    you've got what you need though.
    EMB, Sep 21, 2007
  5. In article <fcvaf9$svj$>, says...

    > "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > My ADSL router just died and am trying to decide on what to get next and
    > > am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

    > Ive got a 3Com OfficeConnect (3CRWDR100A-72) and has been great.
    > ADSL/ADSL2+, 11g Wifi, 4 port 100mb ethernet, SNMP etc etc

    Seconded. I actually have the slightly older (before adsl-2) version, and it's
    very good. Virtual server setups are stored and they were still there when I
    once pulled this router and used another for a few months. You can set up fixed
    ip addresses for mac addresses... lots of configurability. Some setup changes
    will force a reset on this router, like turning wireless on and off. Not much
    of a problem here, but something one should be aware of.

    It's much nicer to work with that my other router (USRobotics, adsl-2), or any
    D-Link I've had to set up. It also doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the USR
    b.t.w..

    I haven't tried Linksys or Netgear, so I can't comment on those.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 21, 2007
  6. In message <fcvinl$1u5$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> My ADSL router just died and am trying to decide on what to get next and
    >> am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

    > I'm looking for the same thing but havn't been able to find one with 1 gig
    > ports.

    Bit pointless, isn't it?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2007
  7. Puddle

    Puddle Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <fcvaf9$svj$>, says...
    >> "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> My ADSL router just died and am trying to decide on what to get next and
    >>> am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

    >> Ive got a 3Com OfficeConnect (3CRWDR100A-72) and has been great.
    >> ADSL/ADSL2+, 11g Wifi, 4 port 100mb ethernet, SNMP etc etc

    > Seconded. I actually have the slightly older (before adsl-2) version, and it's
    > very good. Virtual server setups are stored and they were still there when I
    > once pulled this router and used another for a few months. You can set up fixed
    > ip addresses for mac addresses... lots of configurability. Some setup changes
    > will force a reset on this router, like turning wireless on and off. Not much
    > of a problem here, but something one should be aware of.
    >
    > It's much nicer to work with that my other router (USRobotics, adsl-2), or any
    > D-Link I've had to set up. It also doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the USR
    > b.t.w..
    >
    > I haven't tried Linksys or Netgear, so I can't comment on those.
    >
    > -P.

    Hey guys,

    Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated, I'll take your word and go
    for the 3com.

    Cheers
    Puddle, Sep 22, 2007