    Xandros. Neither detect it automatically and I can't find any software.

    Any ideas?

    Ferg
    Ferg, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Ferg

    XPD Guest

    "Ferg" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I really want to go to Linux but I am having this prob. I want to use my
    > Puretek ADSL router with the USB connection and I have tried Mandrake and
    > Xandros. Neither detect it automatically and I can't find any software.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Dont use the USB option ?
    If it was a decent router, itd use ethernet :)
    XPD, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Ferg

    Guest

    , Feb 16, 2005
  4. Ferg

    steve Guest

    Ferg wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I really want to go to Linux but I am having this prob. I want to use my
    > Puretek ADSL router with the USB connection and I have tried Mandrake and
    > Xandros. Neither detect it automatically and I can't find any software.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Ferg

    I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and
    then connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is
    also connected to the switch.

    USB - even v2 - is.......slow. :)
    steve, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    > I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and then
    > connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is also
    > connected to the switch.
    >
    > USB - even v2 - is.......slow. :)

    The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
    connection.

    Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
    internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go that
    far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB plug... I
    want to make that work with Linux.

    Ferg
    Ferg, Feb 17, 2005
  6. On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:53:12 +1300, Ferg wrote:

    >> I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and then
    >> connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is also
    >> connected to the switch.
    >>
    >> USB - even v2 - is.......slow. :)

    > The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
    > connection.
    >
    > Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
    > internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go that
    > far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB plug... I
    > want to make that work with Linux.
    >
    > Ferg

    spare NIC?
    turn the linux box into a fw/router/gateway for the lan
    of course the downside to this is you have to have the linux box on when
    you want to give the second one access

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 17, 2005
  7. Ferg

    Peter Guest

    Ferg wrote:
    > The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
    > connection.
    >
    > Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
    > internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go
    > that far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB
    > plug... I want to make that work with Linux.

    How about getting a switch or hub?
    Then you can connect both computers, plus any others that turn up, plus
    network printer, etc.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Feb 17, 2005
  8. Ferg

    Axle Guest

    Ferg wrote:
    >>I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and then
    >>connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is also
    >>connected to the switch.
    >>
    >>USB - even v2 - is.......slow. :)

    > The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
    > connection.
    >
    > Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
    > internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go that
    > far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB plug... I
    > want to make that work with Linux.
    >
    > Ferg

    Get a router, then your PC doesn't need to be running for the PC in the
    next room to have access to the internet
    DSE XH1151 or Dynalink RTW026 ($79 + for Wireless access point router
    switch firewall 4 port)
    Or add a NIC to your PC
    Axle, Feb 17, 2005
  9. steve wrote:
    > USB - even v2 - is.......slow. :)

    400Mbps slow... ok then.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 17, 2005
  10. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:53:12 +1300, Ferg wrote:
    >

    >>> I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and
    >>> then
    >>> connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is also
    >>> connected to the switch.
    >>>
    >>> USB - even v2 - is.......slow. :)

    >> The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
    >> internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go
    >> that
    >> far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB plug...
    >> want to make that work with Linux.
    >>
    >> Ferg

    > spare NIC?
    > turn the linux box into a fw/router/gateway for the lan
    > of course the downside to this is you have to have the linux box on when
    > you want to give the second one access

    I think I will buy a router or an ADSL router with 4 ethernet sockets...

    Ferg
    Ferg, Feb 20, 2005