    ($2/hr)

    Thanks,

    Nick.
    nrennie, Mar 10, 2005

  2. nrennie

    SteveM Guest

    "nrennie" <> wrote in
    news:d0qef4$s4t$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking at ditching Ultra and trying either Islugs bliink or Xtras
    > Jetstream Swift. Both offer speeds up to (I know up to means "don't
    > expect") 2Mbps. I'm living about 15 kms from the Thames exchange.
    > Does anyone know what type of performance I might get.
    >
    > In the real world, do people recieve better speeds with Telecom? Or
    > with Ihug?
    >
    > And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with
    > a standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can
    > with Ihug ($2/hr)
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick.

    I doubt you will get any DSL if you have to connect to an exchange
    15km away!
    SteveM, Mar 10, 2005

  3. nrennie

    colinco Guest

    In article nrennie says...
    > I'm looking at ditching Ultra and trying either Islugs bliink or Xtras
    > Jetstream Swift. Both offer speeds up to (I know up to means "don't
    > expect") 2Mbps. I'm living about 15 kms from the Thames exchange. Does
    > anyone know what type of performance I might get.

    15km doesn't sound good.

    Have you tried putting your number into the Telecom ADSL check page
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/tools/1,3907,100551-202472,00.html

    It works line speed based on theoretical calcs but at least it should
    know where your connection will be to.
    colinco, Mar 10, 2005
  4. nrennie

    nrennie Guest

    Yeah, I've done that and it said it's available.

    I did check about 6 months ago and it wasn't available then. Then yesterday
    a bird living down the road said that she'd arranged to get it connected.
    She's about 2 km closer to Thames than me.

    Nick.

    nrennie, Mar 10, 2005
  5. On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:33:20 +1300, "nrennie" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking at ditching Ultra and trying either Islugs bliink or Xtras
    >Jetstream Swift. Both offer speeds up to (I know up to means "don't
    >expect") 2Mbps. I'm living about 15 kms from the Thames exchange. Does
    >anyone know what type of performance I might get.
    >
    >In the real world, do people recieve better speeds with Telecom? Or with
    >Ihug?
    >
    >And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
    >standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
    >($2/hr)
    >

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Nick.

    I thought you has to be 3kms away, I can't see how 15k would work.,
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 10, 2005
  6. nrennie

    EMB Guest

    nrennie wrote:
    > Yeah, I've done that and it said it's available.
    >
    > I did check about 6 months ago and it wasn't available then. Then yesterday
    > a bird living down the road said that she'd arranged to get it connected.
    > She's about 2 km closer to Thames than me.

    I'd guess that Telecom have put a mini-DSLAM onto a lump of fibre
    somewhere a lot closer to you than the exchange. They seem to have been
    doing this quite a bit of late - a couple of my friends in rural areas
    have suddenly had ADSL become available despite being significant
    distances from the exchange.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Mar 10, 2005
  7. nrennie wrote:
    > And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
    > standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
    > ($2/hr)

    yep, $250 per hour
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 10, 2005
  8. On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:35:25 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > nrennie wrote:
    >> And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
    >> standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
    >> ($2/hr)

    > yep, $250 per hour

    holy hell!
    ive heard hookers charge less 8-}

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 10, 2005
  9. Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>>And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
    >>>standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
    >>>($2/hr)

    >>yep, $250 per hour

    > holy hell!
    > ive heard hookers charge less 8-}

    umm, oops, misses a "."
    that should have been $2.50/hour.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 11, 2005
  10. On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:17:59 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>yep, $250 per hour

    >> holy hell!
    >> ive heard hookers charge less 8-}

    > umm, oops, misses a "."
    > that should have been $2.50/hour.

    eww gross.. she missed a period now charges only $2.50 an hour :-O
    (I even disgust myself at times)

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 11, 2005
  11. Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>>holy hell!
    >>>ive heard hookers charge less 8-}

    >>umm, oops, misses a "."
    >>that should have been $2.50/hour.

    > eww gross.. she missed a period now charges only $2.50 an hour :-O
    > (I even disgust myself at times)

    Im disturbed that you think that way... and that I thought the same
    after I posted it.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 11, 2005