    than ethernet?

    TIA,
    Crash.

    Crash, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Crash

    Peter Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both
    > can be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2)
    > slower than ethernet?

    IMO you are better off using the ethernet connections. (Buy a switch or hub
    at Dick Smith if the adsl router has only 1 eth port.) Then you can easily
    add PCs etc, and configure use via the router.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 27, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Peter <> wrote:

    >IMO you are better off using the ethernet connections.

    Frankly I can't see why anyone would bother with connecting to an ADSL
    router via USB. You need special OS-specific drivers, you can't share
    it, and it would be slower.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 27, 2004
  4. Crash

    S Roby Guest

    Better security(?) with ethernet based modem

    S Roby, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Crash

    Mark S Guest

    Probably not, iirc they are giving away crappy Alcatel USB/Ethernet MODEMS.

    The important bit to note is MODEMS, not ROUTERS.

    An Ethernet modem requires a PPPoE connection to a dedicated PC. ie, you
    cannot share with a hub, switch etc, and usually its one port or the other
    (ethernet or usb), not both.

    You should avoid using the USB port if you can as this will pull CPU cyc;es
    from your PC, whereas Ethernet won't so much.

    Mark S, Nov 28, 2004
  6. Crash

    Gordy Guest

    If it is the same modem as my friend received, then yes you can run
    USB and Ethernet simultaneously to two different computers.

    You have not said which modem you were supplied.
    The docs that came with the modem should tell you if it is possible.
    If all else fails check the modem manufacturer's web site.

    Cheers

    Gordy, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Crash

    Crash Guest

    "Gordy" <> wrote in message

    > If it is the same modem as my friend received, then yes you can run
    > USB and Ethernet simultaneously to two different computers.
    >
    > You have not said which modem you were supplied.
    > The docs that came with the modem should tell you if it is possible.
    > If all else fails check the modem manufacturer's web site.

    [snip]
    > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:42:38 +1100, "Crash"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Greetings all,
    > >
    > >Signed up for the Jetstream 2mbit package, got the modem and filters.
    > >
    > >I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both

    can
    > >be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2) slower
    > >than ethernet?

    Its a DLINK brand modem. The documentation that comes with it is Xtra
    branded and is oriented to a one-PC connection.

    TIA,

    Crash.

    Crash, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Crash

    Mark S Guest

    It wouldn't be a modem then, it'd be a router

    ADSL Modem = no sharing
    ADSL Router = sharing

    Mark S, Nov 30, 2004
  9. Crash

    Gordy Guest

    Tell D-Link that they have got it wrong.

    :)

    Gordy, Nov 30, 2004
  10. Crash

    Mark S Guest

    I wouldn't expect any less from D-Link.

    The product is awful. Basically its the worst kind of ADSL device you can
    get, part modem part router. In router mode it provides a basic version of
    NAT, with what looks to be no security, and the NAT rules are a big vague -
    so it looks like it does no port forwarding/maping/pinholing either.

    Its a security concern; likely to break a few protocols (I can IPSEC
    breaking on these things); and likely to have a few application issues where
    port forwarding is required.

    But its free, which is probably an appropriate price for one ;)

    Mark S, Nov 30, 2004