ADSL question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by justme, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. justme

    justme Guest

    Sorry for all the questions but there seems to be a wealth of
    information here so why look anywhere else! LOL Anyway, I think I'm
    going to go ahead and buy the Walmart computer. Question is, I have
    ADSL and when they installed it they put something inside the computer
    (network card maybe) sorry I'm a novice. Will I need to take that out
    and put it in the new computer or will it come already equipped with
    what I need to hook it up? Here are the specs just in case

    Intel Celeron processor 2.7 GHz
    256 MB DDR SDRAM with up to 64 MB of shared video memory
    Built-in HP CD-Writer (CDRW) for recording and duplicating CDs
    40 GB hard drive
    Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
    Model No. A305w-b
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

    Include in order
    Product Information
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Monitor: HP Pavilion V72 17-inch CRT
    Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Type: Celeron
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    System RAM: 256 MB
    Memory Type: DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Speed: 2100 MB per second
    Hard Drive Size: 40 GB Ultra DMA
    Multimedia Drive: CD-RW
    Network: Data/flex modem, 10/100 networking interface
    Floppy Drive: 1
    Video Memory: up to 64 MB shared memory
    Graphics Type: Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics
    PCI Slots: 2
    USB Type: USB 2.0
    USB Ports: 5
    Serial Ports: 1
    Parallel Port: 1
    Speakers: HP Pavilion analog speakers
    Audio Ports: USB
    3.5 Total Drive Bays: 2
    5.25 Total Drive Bays: 1

    Description
    # Intel Celeron Processor at 2.4 GHzHP Pavilion A305w-b PC
    # HP Pavilion V72 17-inch CRT monitor bundle Computer Solution (16
    inches viewable on monitor)
    # Mobile
    # 40 GB Ultra DMA hard drive
    # 256 MB DDR-SDRAM
    # Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics with up to 64 MB shared memory
    # Memory speed 2100 MB per second
    # HP CD-Writer (CD-RW) 48x24x48
    # High-speed V.92 ready data/flex modem
    # Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
    # 3.5-inch (1.44 MB) floppy diskette drive
    # HP Pavilion USB-powered analog speakers
    # HP keyboard and PS/2 scroller mouse
    # Available slots: 2 PCI
    # Availble external ports: 5 USB 2.0, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 1 VGA
    monitor port
    # Available bays: 1 external 5.25-inch and 3.5-inch; 1 internal 3.5-inch
    # Software included: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Works,
    Microsoft Money 2003, Intuit Quicken New Users Edition 2003, RecordNow
    easily create your own CDs, MusicMatch Jukebox; HP Image Zone digital
    photography software suite

    justme, Jan 1, 2004

  2. justme

    mcp6453 Guest

    justme wrote:

    > Sorry for all the questions but there seems to be a wealth of
    > information here so why look anywhere else! LOL Anyway, I think I'm
    > going to go ahead and buy the Walmart computer. Question is, I have
    > ADSL and when they installed it they put something inside the computer
    > (network card maybe) sorry I'm a novice. Will I need to take that out
    > and put it in the new computer or will it come already equipped with
    > what I need to hook it up? Here are the specs just in case

    No, the Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface is what you need
    to connect to your ADSL modem to connect to the Internet (assuming that
    you don't have a router.) A NIC was probably added to your old computer.
    They are built into most computers now.

    mcp6453, Jan 1, 2004

  3. justme

    justme Guest

    Actually after a little surveying I think I do have a router, at least
    it says ADSL router on the front of it LOL. How does this change my
    situtation?

    LeAnn

    justme, Jan 1, 2004
  4. justme

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    justme <> wrote in news::

    > Actually after a little surveying I think I do have a router, at least
    > it says ADSL router on the front of it LOL. How does this change my
    > situtation?

    It doesn't, I haven't got a clue what mcp was talking about. The only
    difference between a router and a modem connection is that in one case you
    run a network cable from the computer to the modem and in the other case
    you run the cable from the computer to the router.

    What makes you think you have a router? What is the model of the "router"?
    If you can provide this information, someone can tell you if it is a router
    or not.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 1, 2004
  5. justme

    justme Guest

    It says Comtrend ADSL router on the front of the box. Otherwise I know
    nothing else about it.

    LeAnn

    justme, Jan 1, 2004
  6. justme

    mcp6453 Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > It doesn't, I haven't got a clue what mcp was talking about. The only
    > difference between a router and a modem connection is that in one case you
    > run a network cable from the computer to the modem and in the other case
    > you run the cable from the computer to the router.

    The difference is that if he doesn't have a router, he connects directly
    to the modem. If he has a router, he has to connect to it, as you
    suggest.

    mcp6453, Jan 1, 2004
  7. justme

    mcp6453 Guest

    mcp6453, Jan 1, 2004
  8. justme

    dennis Guest

    You can have an xDSL that also incorporates a router. Lok at:
    http://www.pacstar.com/cpe/pdfs/starsmart2.pdf as an example.

    Dennis

    dennis, Jan 2, 2004
  9. justme

    dennis Guest

    guess I should have proof read my reply... maybe I dip in the punchbowl a
    bit much last night!

    sorry
    Dennis

    dennis, Jan 2, 2004