ADSL "Pulsing"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Has anyone else got a graphical display running of their UBS ADSL speed
    running?

    I've noticed that it seems to run in a sort of sine wave pattern, dropping
    back to almost zero data throughput about once a minute. I'm with Axtrix so
    don't know if it's happening to all UBS, just Actrix UBS or just me. It's
    been going on for quite a while now, here's a shot of my DU Meter display
    from 5 minutes ago:

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1143980374.jpg

    The download speeds are also corroborated by Azureus or whatever I'm using
    to download at the time, If anyone doubts that this is happening
    consistantly to my connection I can post more screenies. In fact, it's been
    a while now, I'll grab another......

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1143980766.jpg

    There ya go, I left the whole desktop in that one, including this message.
    It's 12:27 am and Azureus is running.

    Anyone else seeing this? Anyone care to test? I'm wondering (WARNING!!!
    Conspiracy theory!!) if it's maybe something Telecom's doing to disrupt VoIP
    or Video over IP on UBS. Some more data would be nice. It's a consistant
    ~60-second interval thing for me.

    Can someone please check their connection while downloding heavilly? I
    believe DU Meter has a free 30 day trial, or maybe there's some other
    software you prefer to use to give a graphical representation.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~ (I've just grabbed it again to show you as I was taking my time
    typing, watching it. I made DU Meter's display brighter instead of

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1143981260.jpg

    That one may be clearer)
    ~misfit~, Apr 2, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    colinco Guest

    In article ~misfit~ says...
    > Anyone else seeing this? Anyone care to test? I'm wondering (WARNING!!!
    > Conspiracy theory!!) if it's maybe something Telecom's doing to disrupt VoIP
    > or Video over IP on UBS. Some more data would be nice. It's a consistant
    > ~60-second interval thing for me.

    More likely cockup theory. Telecom would probably pick some method that
    wouldn't be so obvious and result in this type of publicity. Perhaps
    it's the heavy downloading.
    colinco, Apr 2, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:35:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I've noticed that it seems to run in a sort of sine wave pattern, dropping
    > back to almost zero data throughput about once a minute. I'm with Axtrix so
    > don't know if it's happening to all UBS, just Actrix UBS or just me. It's
    > been going on for quite a while now, here's a shot of my DU Meter display
    > from 5 minutes ago:

    Doesn't happen with my UBS/orcon...

    --

    .... Brendan

    #14258 +(3697)- [X]

    <Sigurd> a sprite is anything not static
    <SRElysian> a sprite is a variable object
    <SRElysian> be it 2d or 3d
    <TorMuck> a sprite is a fucking soda
    <TorMuck> you god damn geekass bastards

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/04/2006 10:14:04 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Apr 2, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:35:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed that it seems to run in a sort of sine wave pattern,
    >> dropping back to almost zero data throughput about once a minute.
    >> I'm with Axtrix so don't know if it's happening to all UBS, just
    >> Actrix UBS or just me. It's been going on for quite a while now,
    >> here's a shot of my DU Meter display from 5 minutes ago:

    > Doesn't happen with my UBS/orcon...

    Hmm, Ok, thanks for that. Anyone else noticing it?
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Apr 3, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article ~misfit~ says...
    >> Anyone else seeing this? Anyone care to test? I'm wondering
    >> (WARNING!!! Conspiracy theory!!) if it's maybe something Telecom's
    >> doing to disrupt VoIP or Video over IP on UBS. Some more data would
    >> be nice. It's a consistant ~60-second interval thing for me.
    >>

    > More likely cockup theory. Telecom would probably pick some method
    > that wouldn't be so obvious and result in this type of publicity.
    > Perhaps it's the heavy downloading.

    It only happens overnight when there seems to be more bandwidth available.
    During the day I can't get enough of a download going to see the effect so
    clearly. (Although the cyclic trend is still there, just not as obvious).
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Apr 3, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    Troggles Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Brendan wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:35:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've noticed that it seems to run in a sort of sine wave pattern,
    >>>dropping back to almost zero data throughput about once a minute.
    >>>I'm with Axtrix so don't know if it's happening to all UBS, just
    >>>Actrix UBS or just me. It's been going on for quite a while now,
    >>>here's a shot of my DU Meter display from 5 minutes ago:

    >>Doesn't happen with my UBS/orcon...

    > Hmm, Ok, thanks for that. Anyone else noticing it?

    Rock solid. But erhm, I'm with (shush) xtra. but don't tell anyone.
    Troggles, Apr 9, 2006