ADSL providers - are there any good ones?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Quordlepleen, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. Now that I am looking into ADSL,(probably Jetstream Home 1000 - 256k) I
    would be very interested to see if there is anything that could even be
    mistaken for consensus on who to use. I have read reams in this NG on
    the subject, and am hopelessly confused about who to use and who not
    to.

    Here's my situation - I'm not a gamer, and I don't do P2P at all. I do,
    however, have a domain hosted offshore. My uploads to it would probably
    account for a quarter of the 1000MB allowed in the Home 1000 plan. I am
    active in Usenet, but not many binary groups, just a couple of low-
    traffic special-interest groups, where a big file would be 10MB.

    Given the above, which ISPs are worth considering, and which should I
    forget? My dial-up provider at present is Maxnet, and I've been very
    happy with them, but the idea of being heavily punished for my FTP
    traffic is not that appealing. I'd rather avoid XTRAOL if at all
    possible, too. Any recommendations will be gratefully received. TIA

    --
    Life? Don't talk to me about life!

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Max Quordlepleen

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote:

    > Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

    I've never had any problems with Orcon (http://www.orcon.net.nz/)
    Service has been good, the first time I needed to ring them up for
    support, I was quite surprised when someone actually picked up the
    phone! I was waiting for the "Press 1 for..." and the guy started saying
    'Are you there?' :)

    Prices seem to be quite reasonable. I'm on Jetstart and I use Orcon's
    $20/5GB/month plan - it means my total internet bill is $50/month which
    I'm quite happy with. And as far as I've experienced they have never
    shaped my traffic (FTP in particular), but I hardly ever use p2p
    networks.

    Hope that helps

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Nov 8, 2003

  3. On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 04:08:39 GMT, madknoxie
    <> proffered, in :

    > Prices seem to be quite reasonable. I'm on Jetstart and I use
    > Orcon's $20/5GB/month plan - it means my total internet bill is
    > $50/month which I'm quite happy with.

    Is that at 128K? I was hoping for 256, and I also can't seem to find an
    actual listing of Orcon's prices - whereabouts do they hide that info?
    Cheers.

    --
    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Max Quordlepleen

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 04:08:39 GMT, madknoxie
    > <> proffered, in :
    >
    > > Prices seem to be quite reasonable. I'm on Jetstart and I use
    > > Orcon's $20/5GB/month plan - it means my total internet bill is
    > > $50/month which I'm quite happy with.

    > Is that at 128K? I was hoping for 256, and I also can't seem to find an
    > actual listing of Orcon's prices - whereabouts do they hide that info?

    Yep, thats 128Kbit. I didn't think that the information hard to find (3
    clicks). From the Orcon home page > Products > DSL / Jetstream > Home
    Jetstream:
    http://orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/home/

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Nov 8, 2003
  5. On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 06:58:23 GMT, madknoxie
    <> proffered, in :

    > Yep, thats 128Kbit. I didn't think that the information hard to
    > find (3 clicks). From the Orcon home page > Products > DSL /
    > Jetstream > Home Jetstream:
    > http://orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/home/

    Well, that's a "D'Oh!" from me, then. Thanks.

    --
    Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy. - G. B. Shaw

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Max Quordlepleen

    Lebowski Guest

    "Max Quordlepleen" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 06:58:23 GMT, madknoxie
    > <> proffered, in :
    >
    > > Yep, thats 128Kbit. I didn't think that the information hard to
    > > find (3 clicks). From the Orcon home page > Products > DSL /
    > > Jetstream > Home Jetstream:
    > > http://orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/home/
    > >

    > Well, that's a "D'Oh!" from me, then. Thanks.

    Also, they have a huge double-page spread centerfold ad in the latest
    NetGuide for their JetStart prices. I don't think they're underselling their
    product at all.

    Lebowski, Nov 8, 2003
  7. Max Quordlepleen

    Myname Guest

    telecom loves u, all u used is national traffic where cost nothing to them
    and lots to u.

    Myname, Nov 8, 2003
  8. On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:35:53 GMT, Max Quordlepleen
    <> proffered, in :

    Interested to find out more about FTP restrictions, I emailed my
    current ISP, Maxnet. Here's their response:
    Hi Max,

    These services specifications only relate to the 128kbps Jetstart plan.

    Your bandwidth usage and speeds are governed by Telecom on the 256kbps
    & Full rate services. Telecom provides the bandwidth (and so control
    and charge for it as they see fit) and we provide the gateway and
    various other services (e.g. e-mail, tech support, etc.), this is why
    we only charge $10 per month for the Jetstream home 256k & full rate
    accounts and Telecom charges the rest depending on your plan and excess
    data usage.

    Please note that Telecom's 256kbps & Full rate Jetstream services do
    not distinguish between national & international traffic (unlike our
    Jetstart service where national traffic is unlimited) so no matter
    where you go or what you do online, it counts toward the allocated data
    allowance.

    Regards,
    Glen Gibson
    Maxnet Support

    If the above is true, what advantages would there be to switching to
    another ISP? If I do decide to get ADSL, I will certainly get the
    256kbps, since I don't see the point in spending all the money
    necessary for a mere doubling of speed. So, if I go 256K, is there any
    significant difference between the "providers"

    --
    Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of humanity. -
    Einstein

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 9, 2003
  9. "Max Quordlepleen" <> wrote in message

    > ... So, if I go 256K, is there any
    > significant difference between the "providers"

    No

    forensic analysis, Nov 9, 2003
  10. Max Quordlepleen

    Tim Guest

    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:35:53 GMT, Max Quordlepleen
    > <> proffered, in :
    >
    > Interested to find out more about FTP restrictions, I emailed my
    > current ISP, Maxnet. Here's their response:
    > Hi Max,
    >
    > These services specifications only relate to the 128kbps Jetstart plan.
    >
    > Your bandwidth usage and speeds are governed by Telecom on the 256kbps
    > & Full rate services. Telecom provides the bandwidth (and so control
    > and charge for it as they see fit) and we provide the gateway and
    > various other services (e.g. e-mail, tech support, etc.), this is why
    > we only charge $10 per month for the Jetstream home 256k & full rate
    > accounts and Telecom charges the rest depending on your plan and excess
    > data usage.
    >
    > Please note that Telecom's 256kbps & Full rate Jetstream services do
    > not distinguish between national & international traffic (unlike our
    > Jetstart service where national traffic is unlimited) so no matter
    > where you go or what you do online, it counts toward the allocated data
    > allowance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Glen Gibson
    > Maxnet Support

    > If the above is true, what advantages would there be to switching to
    > another ISP? If I do decide to get ADSL, I will certainly get the
    > 256kbps, since I don't see the point in spending all the money
    > necessary for a mere doubling of speed. So, if I go 256K, is there any
    > significant difference between the "providers"

    The differences will be with additional services the ISP provides like
    news servers, spam protection etc. Go with the ISP that provides the
    best extra features that you like - speeds/bandwidth will be the same
    with all ISP's.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Nov 9, 2003
  11. On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:18:57 GMT, Tim <>
    proffered, in :

    > The differences will be with additional services the ISP provides
    > like news servers, spam protection etc. Go with the ISP that
    > provides the best extra features that you like - speeds/bandwidth
    > will be the same with all ISP's.

    Good advice - I'm thinking that since my data transfer each month is
    averaging just 1.2 GB, I can afford to get the 256K, 2000MB plan, and
    stick with my current provider, obviating any need to change email
    addresses.

    --
    Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the
    incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few. - G. B. Shaw

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 9, 2003