ADSL options ...ideas ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by tHe otHer BeaTle, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. I am looking for some ideas and advice.

    I currently use dial up at home and work on the same account.

    I am now seriously looking at a solution using ADSL.

    Being able to use it at work and home.

    At home it just general use ..including using skype for international calls.
    Plus we would benifit with our website uploading and downloading quicker.

    Currently I use paradises 150 hour plan.
    So I dont know what my actual data usage is.

    Can someone suggest an ADSL plan and also what modems or routers to use ?

    At home it should be simple...a modem with a router....I will be considering
    later using wifi to another computer at home.

    At work we have two computers and looking to do something similar...using
    wifi.

    Some of the basics I am trying to get my head around is :

    Will I need to have two accounts ...one for home and one for work ?.....an
    added expense.

    Can I just connect the modem straight on to my existing line ...no extra
    costs ?

    What plans can you recomend ...Telstra clear ? Telecom ? Paradise ?...what
    other options are there ?

    I heard somewhere that there could be something happening with Telstra
    clear....being able to use your own modem ..is this correct ?

    Looking forward to your replies

    NZed
    Wellington
    tHe otHer BeaTle, Jun 12, 2005

  2. Well im currently on Xtra - bunch of monopolistic nazi's that they are.
    But im moving to Slingshot ADSL - their Jetbuster plans sound good. For
    $49.95 you get 3 gigs but the real killer is that for an extra $10 you
    can get 10 gigs extra on top - so spend $40 and get 40 gigs extra for
    your cap before being throttled!!!

    Master Megatron, Jun 12, 2005

  3. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:56:55 +1200, tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:

    > I am now seriously looking at a solution using ADSL.
    >
    > Being able to use it at work and home.

    If you wish to use aDSL at work AND at home you will need two separate DSL
    accounts - because aDSL is a "permenantly on" service that is associated
    with a particular telephone line.

    It works very differently from dialup accounts.

    Frankly, unless you expect to be using it for more than basic email and
    web browsing - ie unless you expect to be downloading very large
    quantities of data - you would be merely wasting your money for a service
    that, while it be faster than dialup, is not a genuine high-speed service.

    Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 12, 2005
  4. tHe otHer BeaTle

    shannon Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:56:55 +1200, tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
    >

    >>I am now seriously looking at a solution using ADSL.
    >>
    >>Being able to use it at work and home.

    > If you wish to use aDSL at work AND at home you will need two separate DSL
    > accounts - because aDSL is a "permenantly on" service that is associated
    > with a particular telephone line.
    >
    > It works very differently from dialup accounts.
    >
    > Frankly, unless you expect to be using it for more than basic email and
    > web browsing - ie unless you expect to be downloading very large
    > quantities of data - you would be merely wasting your money for a service
    > that, while it be faster than dialup, is not a genuine high-speed service.
    >
    > Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ.
    >

    > Bling Bling

    Telstra cable is 2Mbps or 10Mbps
    Citylink is 10Mbps or 100Mbps
    Cafenet is 52Mbps
    Telecom ADSL is 2Mbps
    shannon, Jun 12, 2005
  5. tHe otHer BeaTle

    PseUDO Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:56:55 +1200, tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:

    SNIP

    > Frankly, unless you expect to be using it for more than basic email and
    > web browsing - ie unless you expect to be downloading very large
    > quantities of data - you would be merely wasting your money for a service
    > that, while it be faster than dialup, is not a genuine high-speed service.
    >
    > Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ.
    >

    > Bling Bling

    I guess you havent use dsl then, if you have then you wouldn't suggest
    to someone to stay on dialup!, the diffference in both speed & freeing
    up of the phone line is worth the money alone, even if it isn't true
    "broadband", it is still light years ahead of a dialup connection.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jun 12, 2005
  6. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Jason Rumney Guest

    "tHe otHer BeaTle" <> writes:

    > Some of the basics I am trying to get my head around is :
    >
    > Will I need to have two accounts ...one for home and one for work ?.....an
    > added expense.

    Yes. ADSL is tied to a particular phone line.

    > Can I just connect the modem straight on to my existing line ...no extra
    > costs ?

    You'll also need ADSL filters for all your phones so the ADSL doesn't
    make them unusable for talking.

    http://www.techie.net.nz/adsl/setup.html refers to a Telecom
    technician coming out to install a filter, but I don't know if that is
    out of date. When ADSL first came out, the standard was to give you a
    special socket branched off the master socket dedicated to your ADSL,
    and install a filter between that and your other sockets. Nowdays in
    the UK at least, they just send out microfilters that you plug into the
    sockets, no tinkering with the wiring at the master socket needed.

    There'll probably be a charge for connecting the ADSL, especially if
    someone has to come out and install filters. In the UK, this tends to
    get waived if you sign up to a 12 month contract, I don't know if
    theres enough competition in NZ for the same to be true there.

    > I heard somewhere that there could be something happening with Telstra
    > clear....being able to use your own modem ..is this correct ?

    You should be able to use your own ADSL modem with any provider. But
    if you don't have one yet, the providers prices for modems are usually
    competitive, and they often come with a couple of ADSL filters bundled
    (if self-install microfilters are the norm in NZ now).
    Jason Rumney, Jun 12, 2005
  7. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:03:12 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > Telstra cable is 2Mbps or 10Mbps

    And of course this is only available where Saturn is installed...

    > Citylink is 10Mbps or 100Mbps

    Isn't this only available within the central city?

    > Cafenet is 52Mbps

    .... and is a Wireless service provided by CityLink within specific
    establishments in the city.

    > Telecom ADSL is 2Mbps

    Of course FULLSPEED ADSL is 8mbit/s not 2mbit/s - hence my assertion that
    there be no genuine full speed DSL service available in NZ.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 12, 2005
  8. tHe otHer BeaTle

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:45:03 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >Frankly, unless you expect to be using it for more than basic email and
    >web browsing - ie unless you expect to be downloading very large
    >quantities of data - you would be merely wasting your money for a service
    >that, while it be faster than dialup, is not a genuine high-speed service.
    >
    >Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ.

    OP: Please ignore Bling's comments above.

    ADSL is indeed substantially better than dialup, and Bling is a
    fanatic who has proved several times that it has very little idea of
    the real world.
    H.O.G, Jun 12, 2005
  9. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:44:34 +0100, jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com wrote:

    >http://www.techie.net.nz/adsl/setup.html refers to a Telecom
    >technician coming out to install a filter, but I don't know if that is
    >out of date. When ADSL first came out, the standard was to give you a
    >special socket branched off the master socket dedicated to your ADSL,
    >and install a filter between that and your other sockets. Nowdays in
    >the UK at least, they just send out microfilters that you plug into the
    >sockets, no tinkering with the wiring at the master socket needed.

    You can do it either way. I have the one in the wall with a dedicated socket
    for the modem. It's a lot tidier that way.
    Craig Shore, Jun 12, 2005
  10. On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 06:56:55 UTC, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    <> wrote:

    > At home it just general use ..including using skype for international calls.

    Wanting to use VOIP of any sort basically means you need low latency,
    which on ADSL limits you at the moment to non-UBS ADSL connections, as
    Telecom seems to be (deliberately?) adding latency to bitstream ADSL
    connections.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 12, 2005
  11. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:11:04 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

    > ADSL is indeed substantially better than dialup

    Yes - it is better than dialup. But in New Zealand it is not a true
    broadband service - it is a deliberately crippled service that has a
    *maximum* download speed of 2mbit/s with high latency and an upload speed,
    IIRC, of only 128kbit/s.

    DSL using the technology implemented in NZ has a maximum design capacity
    of 8mbit/s - and that speed, last time I checked, is not available for
    less than $500/month!!

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 12, 2005
  12. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Mercury Guest

    If it is feasable to install a conventional LAN at work IE the two computers
    are reasonably close or wiring them would not be too much of a challenge,
    then I strongly suggest you do.

    Installing wireless is sometimes not as painless as it should be. You may be
    in an area with a lot of wireless already (not too likely), a lot of
    electrical intereference - happens sometimes, or have building construction
    that is not wireless friendly. All these and other factors can result in
    poor reliability for wireless. Wireless never runs near spec performance
    (nor does wired) and is usually substantially slower. Wired, it depends
    often on the performance of the computers and the quality of the card, but
    65-70% performance is normal.

    Network cards (10/100's) are dirt cheap now - $10 or so upwards. Network
    cable can be had for $1 per metre in low metre counts or $.5 or less in
    rolls. A switch may be $60 for an 8 port switch, but for only 2 computers
    you can get away with not having one - direct connect with one plug crossed
    over.

    So, for 2 computers and 10 metres of cable = $30 (say $50 with premade cable
    saving either a crimping tool or an electrician if you do it yourself) for
    the whole setup. Once setup it *will* be reliable and you will get a fast
    link.

    As for home, if you are reasonably sure about getting wireless sometime,
    then I suggest checking prices of ADSL modems with wireless inbuilt - there
    is very little difference in price for some models so depending on what is
    recommended, you may save some money. Just make sure you setup WPA
    encryption for it! Shop around.

    HTH

    Mercury, Jun 12, 2005
  13. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Fishb8 Guest

    What is USB?

    Fishb8, Jun 12, 2005
  14. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:56:55 +1200, tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
    >

    >>I am now seriously looking at a solution using ADSL.
    >>
    >>Being able to use it at work and home.

    > If you wish to use aDSL at work AND at home you will need two separate DSL
    > accounts - because aDSL is a "permenantly on" service that is associated
    > with a particular telephone line.
    >
    > It works very differently from dialup accounts.
    >
    > Frankly, unless you expect to be using it for more than basic email and
    > web browsing - ie unless you expect to be downloading very large
    > quantities of data - you would be merely wasting your money for a service
    > that, while it be faster than dialup, is not a genuine high-speed service.
    >
    > Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ.
    >

    > Bling Bling

    Just a Stuped thought, the cost of a seperate line and running dialup
    24/7. I know the idear was poopooed some time ago but for the low ping
    times and well say planing downloads. What I am trying to say is I am
    having a nicer experince on dialup than what i used to have with ultra
    and my mates on ADSL and I aint got no cap to worry about.

    Robert Cooze, Jun 12, 2005
  15. tHe otHer BeaTle

    -=rjh=- Guest

    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:45:03 +1200, Bling-Bling
    > <> spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>Frankly, unless you expect to be using it for more than basic email and
    >>web browsing - ie unless you expect to be downloading very large
    >>quantities of data - you would be merely wasting your money for a service
    >>that, while it be faster than dialup, is not a genuine high-speed service.
    >>
    >>Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ.
    >>

    > OP: Please ignore Bling's comments above.
    >
    > ADSL is indeed substantially better than dialup,

    I'd definitely still recommend ADSL, even after a fairly disappointing
    last 9 months with UBS. It is comparable in price to dialup over a
    dedicated second line, it is fast enough to share among several users,
    listen to streaming audio, download large files in reasonable times, run
    a BT client etc; it is on 24/7 and the cap on the my current plan is
    vague but is acceptable. You really need to try it before you can
    appreciate the advantages, it may well change how you use the internet.

    But, having said that, for better than dialup connectivity at multiple
    locations, what about trying Woosh? It obviously is going to have some
    disadvantages, but within some areas, at least it is portable.
    -=rjh=-, Jun 12, 2005
  16. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Sawney Bean Guest

    In article <>,
    "tHe otHer BeaTle" <> wrote:

    > I am looking for some ideas and advice.
    >
    > I currently use dial up at home and work on the same account.
    >
    > I am now seriously looking at a solution using ADSL.

    As you appear to be in Wellington, if you can get cable, do so. Low
    latency, high speed.
    Sawney Bean, Jun 12, 2005
  17. tHe otHer BeaTle

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:55:34 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:11:04 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >> ADSL is indeed substantially better than dialup

    >Yes - it is better than dialup. But in New Zealand it is not a true
    >broadband service - it is a deliberately crippled service that has a
    >*maximum* download speed of 2mbit/s with high latency and an upload speed,
    >IIRC, of only 128kbit/s.
    >
    >DSL using the technology implemented in NZ has a maximum design capacity
    >of 8mbit/s - and that speed, last time I checked, is not available for
    >less than $500/month!!

    So it is available then? Way to bum yaself out there!
    DoggNZ, Jun 13, 2005
  18. On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:00:37 UTC, "Fishb8" <>
    wrote:

    > "Stephen Worthington" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 06:56:55 UTC, "tHe otHer BeaTle"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> At home it just general use ..including using skype for international
    > >> calls.

    > > Wanting to use VOIP of any sort basically means you need low latency,
    > > which on ADSL limits you at the moment to non-UBS ADSL connections, as
    > > Telecom seems to be (deliberately?) adding latency to bitstream ADSL
    > > connections.
    > >

    > What is USB?

    UBS = Bitstream, the ADSL connection type that Telecom has been
    allowed to foist on us instead of unbundled access to the physical
    phone lines by other ISPs. Telecom gets to provide the ADSL
    connection and connects the ISP to it, so that the ISP can provide the
    upstream bandwidth (national and international). Telecom has done all
    sorts of nasty things to the UBS connection, including traffic shaping
    that they have no business doing, probably to make it less competetive
    with their own ADSL offerings.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 13, 2005
  19. "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > Bling-Bling wrote:
    >> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:56:55 +1200, tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:

    > SNIP
    >>
    >> Frankly, unless you expect to be using it for more than basic email and
    >> web browsing - ie unless you expect to be downloading very large
    >> quantities of data - you would be merely wasting your money for a service
    >> that, while it be faster than dialup, is not a genuine high-speed
    >> service.
    >>
    >> Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ.
    >>

    >> Bling Bling
    >>

    > I guess you havent use dsl then, if you have then you wouldn't suggest to
    > someone to stay on dialup!, the diffference in both speed & freeing up of
    > the phone line is worth the money alone, even if it isn't true
    > "broadband", it is still light years ahead of a dialup connection.
    >
    > PseUDO

    I stayed on dial-up until quite recently, because the pricing made streaming
    video hidiously expensive. I have always been with Iconz. They have not
    attracted anything like the number of gripes that other provisers have. I
    got a 1 Meg/10Gig deal for 59 $ a month. I had bought a Dynalink USB modem
    some year ago, then did not go ahead with it. Had to download a WinXP driver
    for it sine the original driver for Win98 is barfed at by WinXP. It works.
    Streaming video from NASA is not at a teriibly high data rate, but the
    rsolution is better than from dial-up. Updating stuff at typically 10 Meg
    per download is now a breeze.

    And it had become an issue that people could not ring me when I was online.
    So ADSL has solved a major hassle for me.

    Henry
    Henry Falkner, Jun 13, 2005
  20. tHe otHer BeaTle

    Kent Smith Guest

    tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
    > I am looking for some ideas and advice.
    >
    > I currently use dial up at home and work on the same account.
    >
    > I am now seriously looking at a solution using ADSL.
    >
    > Being able to use it at work and home.

    Depending on your location, you may be able to use Woosh. Since it's
    portable, you'll only need the one account for home and work.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Jun 13, 2005