    you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand what I
    mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.

    Thanks
    JC, Apr 22, 2005

  2. JC

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:48:28 -0700, JC wrote:

    > If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
    > adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
    > are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
    > you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand what I
    > mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
    >
    > Thanks

    yes

    Shane, Apr 22, 2005

  3. JC

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:49:54 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:48:28 -0700, JC wrote:
    >
    >> If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
    >> adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
    >> are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
    >> you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand what I
    >> mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > yes

    ok enough of me being a prick,
    you have two options,
    1) plug as many computers into the modem as there are pluggy bits
    or
    2) |internet|-->|modem|-->|your hub|--->|your machines|
    variation
    |internet|-->|modem|-->|machine acting as an additional
    |firewall|-->|hub|-->|other machines|
    HTH

    Shane, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Shane wrote:
    >>If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
    >>adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
    >>are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers?

    >> Or do
    >>you need a modem/router combination?

    > yes

    which question were you answering yes to?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 22, 2005
  5. JC

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:55:51 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >>>If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
    >>>adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
    >>>are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers?

    >>> Or do
    >>>you need a modem/router combination?

    >> yes

    > which question were you answering yes to?

    the ultimate question!
    (do I think the hurricanes will make the finals this year)

    Shane, Apr 22, 2005
  6. Shane wrote:
    >>which question were you answering yes to?

    > the ultimate question!
    > (do I think the hurricanes will make the finals this year)

    the finals maybe, but they wont win them.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 22, 2005
  7. JC

    Phstpok Guest

    Shane wrote:

    >>>yes

    >>which question were you answering yes to?

    > the ultimate question!
    > (do I think the hurricanes will make the finals this year)

    Darn, you might have just put the mickey on them.
    Phstpok, Apr 22, 2005
  8. JC

    SNOman Guest

    JC wrote:
    > If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
    > adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
    > are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
    > you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand what I
    > mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes, provided your modem has an ethernet interface to connect it to the
    switch/hub
    SNOman, Apr 22, 2005
  9. JC

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:23:39 +1200, Phstpok wrote:

    > Shane wrote:

    >>>which question were you answering yes to?

    >> the ultimate question!
    >> (do I think the hurricanes will make the finals this year)

    > Darn, you might have just put the mickey on them.

    and thats why any money I have on the super 12 is on the blues :)

    Shane, Apr 22, 2005
  10. JC

    JC Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > JC wrote:
    > > If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a

    standard
    > > adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a

    hub,
    > > are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers?

    Or do
    > > you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand

    what I
    > > mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Yes, provided your modem has an ethernet interface to connect it to

    the
    > switch/hub

    Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
    splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
    cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
    to use?
    JC, Apr 22, 2005
  11. JC

    SNOman Guest

    JC wrote:
    > SNOman wrote:
    >
    >>JC wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a

    > standard
    >
    >>>adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a

    > hub,
    >
    >>>are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers?

    > Or do
    >
    >>>you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand

    > what I
    >
    >>>mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>Yes, provided your modem has an ethernet interface to connect it to

    > the
    >
    >>switch/hub

    > Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
    > splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
    > cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
    > to use?

    Nope, because it's not the individual user/s which is using the data
    cap, it's the account name with which the modem/router is logged into
    the ADSL network.
    SNOman, Apr 22, 2005
  12. SNOman wrote:
    >> Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
    >> splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
    >> cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
    >> to use?

    > Nope, because it's not the individual user/s which is using the data
    > cap, it's the account name with which the modem/router is logged into
    > the ADSL network.

    you could do it yourself with a bit of auth and tinkerin, but it'd be
    easier to not do it

    also, say two users havent used all of their 2GB on the last day of the
    month, say 500MB left each, are you gonna share it out? or just leave it
    as is.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 22, 2005
  13. JC

    JedMeister Guest

    "JC" <> wrote in message
    > If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
    > adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
    > are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
    > you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand what I
    > mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
    >
    > Thanks

    No, unfortunately.
    JedMeister, Apr 22, 2005
  14. JC

    Phstpok Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > SNOman wrote:
    >
    >>> Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
    >>> splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
    >>> cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
    >>> to use?

    >> Nope, because it's not the individual user/s which is using the data
    >> cap, it's the account name with which the modem/router is logged into
    >> the ADSL network.

    > you could do it yourself with a bit of auth and tinkerin, but it'd be
    > easier to not do it
    >
    > also, say two users havent used all of their 2GB on the last day of the
    > month, say 500MB left each, are you gonna share it out? or just leave it
    > as is.

    Plenty of free software out there to keep an eye on what each box is
    using, though. The problem is making sure each user keeps that monitor
    running, unless you plan to set up a server/client setup, then it gets
    both easier and harder.

    Rob
    Phstpok, Apr 22, 2005
  15. JC

    Peter Guest

    JC wrote:
    > Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
    > splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
    > cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
    > to use?

    yes - if you set up a proxy server on your network
    Peter, Apr 22, 2005
  16. JC

    Jedmeister Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    > "JC" <> wrote in message
    >> If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
    >> adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
    >> are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
    >> you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand what I
    >> mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > No, unfortunately.

    canes will lose .
    Jedmeister, Apr 22, 2005
  17. JC

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Shane wrote:

    >>>yes

    >>which question were you answering yes to?

    > the ultimate question!
    > (do I think the hurricanes will make the finals this year)

    42 I think Is the answer

    Robert Cooze, Apr 22, 2005
  18. JC

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <-a-geek.net>, Shane wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:23:39 +1200, Phstpok wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>> the ultimate question!
    >>> (do I think the hurricanes will make the finals this year)

    >> Darn, you might have just put the mickey on them.

    > and thats why any money I have on the super 12 is on the blues :)

    I suppose you don't like money then.
    It is clearly Highlanders or Crusaders for the NZ teams, my pick is
    Crusaders 'cos they often improve during the comp. And of course I
    am one eyed.
    ChrisOD, Apr 22, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    "JC" <> wrote:

    >If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
    >adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
    >are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
    >you need a modem/router combination?

    If the ADSL thingie they give you has an Ethernet port for connecting to
    your PC, then it's pretty definitely a modem/router, and you should have
    no worries. Just get a switch, connect its uplink port to the
    modem/router, then hang all your PCs off the switch.

    Basically: stay away from USB-based ADSL modems.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 24, 2005