    immediate option.

    Thanks,

    Alan
    Alan Howard, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Alan Howard

    Harry Guest

    Alan Howard wrote:

    > I've got a 3Com ADSL router doing NAT for a handful of PCs on a small
    > network - two W2K Servers, two XP Pro W/S and one W2K Pro W/S.
    >
    > Is there some software that I can install on *one* of the W2K boxes that
    > can monitor the network to tell me how all these PCs are using my
    > Jetstream bandwidth? I'm 10 days into a new billing cycle, have apparently
    > eaten 900MB, and Telecom's tools are bloody hopeless. One of the servers
    > is running AD/DHCP/DNS. I don't have a Linux box so unfortunately that's
    > not an immediate option.

    Does your router support SNMP?
    If so, the numbers you want are already available.
    Harry, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Alan Howard

    Alan Howard Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    > Does your router support SNMP?

    Apparently. It's an Office Connect Remote 812.

    > If so, the numbers you want are already available.

    I've never used SNMP before - what's the next step? I don't need anything
    too technical - just a count of the MB transferred by NETBIOS name/internal
    IP address would be good.

    Cheers,

    Alan
    Alan Howard, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Alan Howard

    a Guest

    In article <_7%Ec.6105$>,
    says...
    > Alan Howard wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a 3Com ADSL router doing NAT for a handful of PCs on a small
    > > network - two W2K Servers, two XP Pro W/S and one W2K Pro W/S.
    > >
    > > Is there some software that I can install on *one* of the W2K boxes that
    > > can monitor the network to tell me how all these PCs are using my
    > > Jetstream bandwidth? I'm 10 days into a new billing cycle, have apparently
    > > eaten 900MB, and Telecom's tools are bloody hopeless. One of the servers
    > > is running AD/DHCP/DNS. I don't have a Linux box so unfortunately that's
    > > not an immediate option.
    > >

    > Does your router support SNMP?
    > If so, the numbers you want are already available.

    Hmm, probably it only tells you total throughput and not how much per
    machine.

    Well you could add performance counters to the network interfaces for
    each workstation and examine the results remotely (i.e. use performace
    under administrative tools - alas it will count local traffic too). Or
    install some sort of third party tools (like netlimiter).

    A linux firewall with accounting does spring to mind immediately for me
    though. You can just sit there with the iftop program and see clearly
    who is sucking the bnadwidth and indeed set up traffic shaping...
    a, Jul 2, 2004