    Q: I was listening to a CD in Grip and it sounded horrible! What's up?
    A: Perhaps you are listening to country music...
    (From the Grip "First Asked Questions")

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Max Quordlepleen

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote:

    > I am interested in any recommendations on ADSL modems that have been
    > found to work well in both Windows (2K, ideally), and Mandrake Linux.
    > Thanks.

    Get a router, that way it won't matter what you're running as long as
    your OS can support networking, etc. Here I have an Alcatel Speed Touch
    Pro, which in turn has a little 8-port hub plugged into it with various
    computers connecting to that including; WinXp, MacOSX, Mandrake 9.0, and
    Debian Woody, etc...

    You can get routers with 4-port hubs - it doesn't have to be a seperate
    purchase like I did.

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Nov 8, 2003

  3. DSE routers - any good?

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:37:49 GMT, madknoxie
    <> proffered, in :

    > You can get routers with 4-port hubs - it doesn't have to be a
    > seperate purchase like I did.

    Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good? As
    hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for $199
    -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
    when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
    crap, or will the do the job OK?

    --
    Life? Don't talk to me about life!

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Max Quordlepleen

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: DSE routers - any good?

    Max Quordlepleen wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:37:49 GMT, madknoxie
    > <> proffered, in :
    >
    >> You can get routers with 4-port hubs - it doesn't have to be a
    >> seperate purchase like I did.

    > Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good?
    > As hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for
    > $199 -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
    > when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
    > crap, or will the do the job OK?

    As I've mentioned in here before Max, the compelling reason to buy from DSE
    is that they give an (almost) unconditional 14 day right of return. As long
    as the original packaging materials are returned complete and undamaged
    along with the reciept they will refund you in full, no questions asked.

    So you get 14 days to try it out risk-free. Also they usually offer a
    warranty and, in my experience, honour it to the letter.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Re: DSE routers - any good?

    Suddenly, Max Quordlepleen sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good? As
    > hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for $199
    > -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
    > when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
    > crap, or will the do the job OK?

    Working OK for us, about 4 months... more reliable than Xtra, lets put
    it that way :) I had more trouble with my Asus router.

    Quite comprehensive configuration and DSE appear to have customised it
    somewhat...

    The hardware is obviously basic stuff, but it works.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Re: DSE routers - any good?

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 21:27:30 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good? As
    > hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for $199
    > -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
    > when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
    > crap, or will the do the job OK?

    There's a whole range of ADSL units on sale in europe for less than that
    figure. $100NZ or less is common.

    $320 would get you a Dlink router with integral 4 port switch and wireless
    access point....

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 8, 2003
  7. Max Quordlepleen

    Ian McDonald Guest

    Re: DSE routers - any good?

    Myself, my father and a work colleague have all been using them
    successfully for around a year. Absolutely brilliant.

    Been recommending them to many people.

    Ian McDonald, Nov 9, 2003
  8. Max Quordlepleen

    JedMeister Guest

    Re: DSE routers - any good?

    I have found my DSE ADSL router to be very good , except for one thing...I
    could never get Microsoft Messenger audio conversations to work.

    DSE ADSL routers do not support the uPNP protocol, which seems to be
    required for microsoft messenger audio calls to work ...for a description,
    see...

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7667808~root=equip,16~mode=flat

    JedMeister, Nov 10, 2003