ADSL Modem Router

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nicole, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. nicole

    nicole Guest

    hope u guys can help me

    i'm deciding on what to buy, coz going on adsl connection soon, just assume
    that i've 5 computers,

    A)adsl modem router(1 port, e.g. dlink dsl500) + switch or dsl/router
    B)adsl modem router(4 ports, e.g. dlink dsl504) + switch

    for A), switch or dsl/router, which one is the right thing for me to use?

    for B), also, switch or dsl/router. now, if got 4 computers, which way is
    safer?
    -direct linking all computers into adsl modem router
    -linking all computers to the switch(or dsl/router) then to the adsl modem

    mmtks

    nicole, Feb 29, 2004

  2. nicole

    Dave Taylor Guest

    nicole <> wrote in news:Xns949ECDE7D4F2Bmail@203.109.252.31:

    > hope u guys can help me
    >
    > i'm deciding on what to buy, coz going on adsl connection soon, just
    > assume that i've 5 computers,
    >
    > A)adsl modem router(1 port, e.g. dlink dsl500) + switch or dsl/router
    > B)adsl modem router(4 ports, e.g. dlink dsl504) + switch
    >

    > for A), switch or dsl/router, which one is the right thing for me to
    > use?
    >
    > for B), also, switch or dsl/router. now, if got 4 computers, which way
    > is safer?
    > -direct linking all computers into adsl modem router
    > -linking all computers to the switch(or dsl/router) then to the adsl
    > modem
    >

    > mmtks

    If I understand you, option B is a 4 port ADSL modem and you will also
    have a switch for a total of two separate boxes? This would be a very
    flexible setup as the modem should allow you to assign one of the 4 ports
    as a DMZ host, allowing you to make that the game PC or web server etc.
    I would just hook the switch up to one of the other ports and then hook
    up all the other computers to that switch. Turn on the DHCP server in
    the modem, and release/renew ip's in the workstations, and your are
    pretty much done, unless you want to configure logging and submissions
    etc.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 29, 2004

  3. nicole

    Chris Guest

    nicole <> wrote in news:Xns949ECDE7D4F2Bmail@203.109.252.31:

    > hope u guys can help me
    >
    > i'm deciding on what to buy, coz going on adsl connection soon, just
    > assume that i've 5 computers,
    >
    > A)adsl modem router(1 port, e.g. dlink dsl500) + switch or dsl/router
    > B)adsl modem router(4 ports, e.g. dlink dsl504) + switch
    >

    > for A), switch or dsl/router, which one is the right thing for me to
    > use?

    A switch. There will be 1 port on the switch that you can connect the
    Router to (the DSL500)

    > for B), also, switch or dsl/router. now, if got 4 computers, which way
    > is safer?
    > -direct linking all computers into adsl modem router
    > -linking all computers to the switch(or dsl/router) then to the adsl
    > modem

    One is no safer than the other as you are doing the same thing using either
    the DSL500 or DSL504.

    > mmtks

    Unless you need something special like a web server or some other function
    the simplest method would be to set up as follows:

    phoneline->ADSL Router->Switch->PC (how ever many you have)

    The manual should tell you how to configure setup for one PC, you then just
    repeat the PC setup part for each PC (you will need a Network Interface
    Card (NIC) in each PC so that you can connect the PC to the switch).

    You should also install a software firewall on each PC.

    I prefer the above method as it is simple and each PC can get
    internet access without relying on another PC running such as the following
    method:

    Install two NIC's in 1 PC and configure like this:

    phoneline->ADSL Router->PC (with firewall)->switch->PC (how ever many you
    have).

    Using this method you only need 1 firewall to configure but this PC must be
    running to allow the other PC's to access the internet.

    You will find that many people will have many ideas on the *best* way to
    set this up

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 29, 2004
  4. nicole

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:29:10 GMT, Chris <> wrote:

    >The manual should tell you how to configure setup for one PC, you then just
    >repeat the PC setup part for each PC (you will need a Network Interface
    >Card (NIC) in each PC so that you can connect the PC to the switch).

    Once you have a network card installed correctly in a WinXP machine,
    you don't need to do anything else - it just works.

    The DSL500 is presently reduced to clear at DSE for $149 (the DSL504
    is $198), and seeing as a switch is needed either way i'd be saving
    myself the $39 difference by getting the 500.
    The only reason to get the 504 would be if you only have 4 computers
    (or other devices such as a wireless hub) to connect to it and don't
    intend to add any more.

    Craig Shore, Feb 29, 2004