ADSL modem / router / wireless AP, brand Q.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Nov 27, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    A friend has asked, I was going to say NetComm but know nothing about the
    NB14 range. I was going to recommend the NB14WN :
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390557 however some
    input would be great.

    (I would have said to buy the NB6 range, as that's the advice I've had from
    here before but to get an NB6 with n wireless is $50 more:
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303 )

    Thanks in advance,
    Shaun.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Nov 27, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > A friend has asked, I was going to say NetComm but know nothing about
    > the NB14 range. I was going to recommend the NB14WN :
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390557
    > however some input would be great.
    >
    > (I would have said to buy the NB6 range, as that's the advice I've
    > had from here before but to get an NB6 with n wireless is $50 more:
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303 )
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Shaun.


    Heh! I guess that's the down-side of killfiles, I've not seen any replies to
    my question. :(

    Be nice to know of anyone has experience with the NetComm NB14 range so I
    can give informed advice. I know the NB6 range is good but it's ~$50 dearer
    and the NB14 claims to have a better firewall.

    Oh well... <shrug>
    --
    Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Nov 30, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    In article <1wmwtkmtr9wc1.64o102eovopw$>, Bret <>
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:19:53 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >> A friend has asked, I was going to say NetComm but know nothing about
    > >> the NB14 range. I was going to recommend the NB14WN :
    > >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390557
    > >> however some input would be great.
    > >>
    > >> (I would have said to buy the NB6 range, as that's the advice I've
    > >> had from here before but to get an NB6 with n wireless is $50 more:
    > >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303 )
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance,
    > >> Shaun.

    > >
    > > Heh! I guess that's the down-side of killfiles, I've not seen any

    replies to
    > > my question. :(
    > >
    > > Be nice to know of anyone has experience with the NetComm NB14 range so I
    > > can give informed advice. I know the NB6 range is good but it's ~$50 dearer
    > > and the NB14 claims to have a better firewall.
    > >
    > > Oh well... <shrug>

    >
    > I don't have anyone here killfiled and haven't seen any replies either :(


    I don't know anything about NetComm's boxes, but these days modem / router
    boxes are all pretty much the same. It's really largely just a preference
    on the box design (which won't matter if it's hidden in a cupboard anyway)
    and how easy the software / settings is to use.

    My personal preference is either Belkin or Linksys / Cisco, but I can't
    remember at the moment the maker I dislike (they used to be given out free
    with Xtra's accounts).

    As usual, the more you spend, the faster and better the features are over
    the cheaper models by the same maker.
    Your Name, Nov 30, 2011
    #3
  4. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    In article <4ed5c272$>, Robert Cooze
    <c_o-o_z-e_r-b_@-c-o-o-z-eD_O_Tc_oD_O_Tnz> wrote:

    > On 30/11/11 18:23, Your Name wrote:
    > > In article<1wmwtkmtr9wc1.64o102eovopw$>, Bret<>
    > > wrote:
    > >> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:19:53 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >>>> A friend has asked, I was going to say NetComm but know nothing about
    > >>>> the NB14 range. I was going to recommend the NB14WN :
    > >>>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390557
    > >>>> however some input would be great.
    > >>>>
    > >>>> (I would have said to buy the NB6 range, as that's the advice I've
    > >>>> had from here before but to get an NB6 with n wireless is $50 more:
    > >>>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303 )
    > >>>>
    > >>>> Thanks in advance,
    > >>>> Shaun.
    > >>>
    > >>> Heh! I guess that's the down-side of killfiles, I've not seen any

    > > replies to
    > >>> my question. :(
    > >>>
    > >>> Be nice to know of anyone has experience with the NetComm NB14 range so I
    > >>> can give informed advice. I know the NB6 range is good but it's ~$50

    dearer
    > >>> and the NB14 claims to have a better firewall.
    > >>>
    > >>> Oh well...<shrug>
    > >>
    > >> I don't have anyone here killfiled and haven't seen any replies either :(

    > >
    > > I don't know anything about NetComm's boxes, but these days modem / router
    > > boxes are all pretty much the same. It's really largely just a preference
    > > on the box design (which won't matter if it's hidden in a cupboard anyway)
    > > and how easy the software / settings is to use.
    > >
    > > My personal preference is either Belkin or Linksys / Cisco, but I can't
    > > remember at the moment the maker I dislike (they used to be given out free
    > > with Xtra's accounts).
    > >
    > > As usual, the more you spend, the faster and better the features are over
    > > the cheaper models by the same maker.

    >
    > Would that be Thompson?


    Nope, not Thompson.

    I just flicked through some junk mail catalogues and found the right name
    for my disliked brand: D-Link. I help out quite a few people and small
    businesses with their computers, and D-Link seem by far to be the worst
    brand for failure rates.
    Your Name, Nov 30, 2011
    #4
  5. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    On 30/11/2011 6:23 p.m., Your Name threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >
    > My personal preference is either Belkin or Linksys / Cisco, but I can't
    > remember at the moment the maker I dislike (they used to be given out free
    > with Xtra's accounts).


    You like Belkin? Have a Belkin wireless G (i thik thats the model)
    here that I purchased to replace the Cisco wired router used in my
    previous abode (real cisco, none of this linksys rubbish) and its a
    complete POS. Any attempts at using torrents with a decent number of
    connections will lock it up in 20-60mins, power plug removal only way to
    get life out of it after that. Connection is otherwise okay, and
    haven't tried opening any ports in it for games since I don't seem to
    have time lately, but anything that can't handle NAT on a few hundred
    entries is pretty pathetic.

    D-link wired routers were okay, once you got decent firmware onto them,
    the wireless were a bit dodgy, must thrown 40 or 50 of the 604Gs in the
    scrap bin when I was doing firmware upgrades on them before they got
    sent out to Xtra customers.
    Squiggle, Nov 30, 2011
    #5
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> A friend has asked, I was going to say NetComm but know nothing about
    >> the NB14 range. I was going to recommend the NB14WN :
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390557
    >> however some input would be great.
    >>
    >> (I would have said to buy the NB6 range, as that's the advice I've
    >> had from here before but to get an NB6 with n wireless is $50 more:
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303 )
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Shaun.

    >
    > Heh! I guess that's the down-side of killfiles, I've not seen any
    > replies to my question. :(
    >
    > Be nice to know of anyone has experience with the NetComm NB14 range
    > so I can give informed advice. I know the NB6 range is good but it's
    > ~$50 dearer and the NB14 claims to have a better firewall.
    >
    > Oh well... <shrug>


    Seems we got a trickle of info going, thanks to the contributors.

    I mean, it's not a huge deal, just advising an aquaintence. However, if what
    I recommend turns out to be a real PoS not only will it be likely that I get
    lots of call-outs (gratis of course) but I will also be blamed for a bad
    purchase. It's not a good situation to be in.

    That said, I'm not *that* invested in this person, I can tell them to call
    whatever the rip-off du jour Pukekohe company is these days. I'd rather not
    but.

    It'd be nice to get them to buy something that, once set up, runs for years
    trouble-free. Kinda like my old Alcatel did (and then another couple years
    after I replaced some capacitors in it). I'd suggest that they get the
    NetComm NB6Plus4Wn but.....

    OMG how quickly hardware prices change! What, three days ago when I first
    posted this the NB6Plus4Wn was ~$50 more than the NB14WN (at Ascent). They
    do essentially the same thing but the NB14 is newer. Now the difference is
    down to ~$18 (or ~$30 if you order the cheaper one that's out-of-stock).

    Thanks for the input.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    Cheers,
    ~misfit~, Nov 30, 2011
    #6
  7. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    On 30/11/2011 9:55 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> A friend has asked, I was going to say NetComm but know nothing about
    >>> the NB14 range. I was going to recommend the NB14WN :
    >>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390557
    >>> however some input would be great.
    >>>
    >>> (I would have said to buy the NB6 range, as that's the advice I've
    >>> had from here before but to get an NB6 with n wireless is $50 more:
    >>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303 )
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Shaun.

    >>
    >> Heh! I guess that's the down-side of killfiles, I've not seen any
    >> replies to my question. :(
    >>
    >> Be nice to know of anyone has experience with the NetComm NB14 range
    >> so I can give informed advice. I know the NB6 range is good but it's
    >> ~$50 dearer and the NB14 claims to have a better firewall.
    >>
    >> Oh well...<shrug>

    >
    > Seems we got a trickle of info going, thanks to the contributors.
    >
    > I mean, it's not a huge deal, just advising an aquaintence. However, if what
    > I recommend turns out to be a real PoS not only will it be likely that I get
    > lots of call-outs (gratis of course) but I will also be blamed for a bad
    > purchase. It's not a good situation to be in.
    >
    > That said, I'm not *that* invested in this person, I can tell them to call
    > whatever the rip-off du jour Pukekohe company is these days. I'd rather not
    > but.
    >
    > It'd be nice to get them to buy something that, once set up, runs for years
    > trouble-free. Kinda like my old Alcatel did (and then another couple years
    > after I replaced some capacitors in it). I'd suggest that they get the
    > NetComm NB6Plus4Wn but.....
    >
    > OMG how quickly hardware prices change! What, three days ago when I first
    > posted this the NB6Plus4Wn was ~$50 more than the NB14WN (at Ascent). They
    > do essentially the same thing but the NB14 is newer. Now the difference is
    > down to ~$18 (or ~$30 if you order the cheaper one that's out-of-stock).
    >
    > Thanks for the input.


    Hi Shaun
    I'm running a NetCommNP802n and no problems. Had it for a year or so,
    switched on 24/7, glows brightly in the dark, sends stuff when I press
    to GO button. Nothing to report. And you got this so it must be still
    working.
    --
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    bugalugs, Nov 30, 2011
    #7
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    > On 30/11/2011 9:55 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>> A friend has asked, I was going to say NetComm but know nothing
    >>>> about the NB14 range. I was going to recommend the NB14WN :
    >>>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390557
    >>>> however some input would be great.
    >>>>
    >>>> (I would have said to buy the NB6 range, as that's the advice I've
    >>>> had from here before but to get an NB6 with n wireless is $50 more:
    >>>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303 )
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks in advance,
    >>>> Shaun.
    >>>
    >>> Heh! I guess that's the down-side of killfiles, I've not seen any
    >>> replies to my question. :(
    >>>
    >>> Be nice to know of anyone has experience with the NetComm NB14 range
    >>> so I can give informed advice. I know the NB6 range is good but it's
    >>> ~$50 dearer and the NB14 claims to have a better firewall.
    >>>
    >>> Oh well...<shrug>

    >>
    >> Seems we got a trickle of info going, thanks to the contributors.
    >>
    >> I mean, it's not a huge deal, just advising an aquaintence. However,
    >> if what I recommend turns out to be a real PoS not only will it be
    >> likely that I get lots of call-outs (gratis of course) but I will
    >> also be blamed for a bad purchase. It's not a good situation to be
    >> in. That said, I'm not *that* invested in this person, I can tell them
    >> to call whatever the rip-off du jour Pukekohe company is these days.
    >> I'd rather not but.
    >>
    >> It'd be nice to get them to buy something that, once set up, runs
    >> for years trouble-free. Kinda like my old Alcatel did (and then
    >> another couple years after I replaced some capacitors in it). I'd
    >> suggest that they get the NetComm NB6Plus4Wn but.....
    >>
    >> OMG how quickly hardware prices change! What, three days ago when I
    >> first posted this the NB6Plus4Wn was ~$50 more than the NB14WN (at
    >> Ascent). They do essentially the same thing but the NB14 is newer.
    >> Now the difference is down to ~$18 (or ~$30 if you order the cheaper
    >> one that's out-of-stock). Thanks for the input.

    >
    > Hi Shaun
    > I'm running a NetCommNP802n and no problems. Had it for a year or so,
    > switched on 24/7, glows brightly in the dark, sends stuff when I press
    > to GO button. Nothing to report. And you got this so it must be still
    > working.


    Heh! Thanks mate, handy to know.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Nov 30, 2011
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZTMxMTA=?=

    Setting up an ADSL modem router with a wrielss router

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZTMxMTA=?=, Apr 11, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    657
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZTMxMTA=?=
    Apr 11, 2006
  2. Chris
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,760
    Chris
    Jun 4, 2006
  3. adsl pci modem, and adsl ethernet modem

    , Jan 16, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    686
  4. LincolnShep
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,540
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Nov 8, 2006
  5. czar

    adsl router to adsl router

    czar, May 1, 2007, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    411
    Doug McIntyre
    May 1, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page