ADSL Modem Router Switch Combos

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Owly, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Owly

    Owly Guest

    Hi,
    Well, now that we've moved to an ADSL friendly area we've signed
    up for Orcon's Jetstart with change to 256k when the UBS comes
    into effect next month deal.
    Two queries:
    One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
    combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
    Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
    I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
    suit our purposes perfectly.
    Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
    We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
    What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?

    Basically, I'm looking for recommendations as to the best setup keeping
    economy in mind.

    TIA

    Owly.
    Owly, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Owly

    EMB Guest

    Owly wrote:

    > One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
    > combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
    > Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
    > I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
    > suit our purposes perfectly.
    > Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
    > We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
    > What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?

    After the hassles I've had with Puretek branded stuff (mostly analog
    modems) I'll never buy another of their products.

    The Dick Smith branded ADSL routers seem fine - the warranty is as good
    as it gets. I've installed about 25 of them over the last couple of
    years and haven't had a failure yet.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Owly

    TEX Guest

    Owly wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Well, now that we've moved to an ADSL friendly area we've signed
    > up for Orcon's Jetstart with change to 256k when the UBS comes
    > into effect next month deal.
    > Two queries:
    > One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
    > combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
    > Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
    > I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
    > suit our purposes perfectly.
    > Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
    > We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
    > What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?
    >
    > Basically, I'm looking for recommendations as to the best setup keeping
    > economy in mind.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Owly.

    I have used a few, and I have noticed that either they will not hold the
    settings or just don't work even if the settings are correct. I
    personally syspect it is the GUI that is causing the problem. Do
    something not quiet in the right order and it throws a spat. Have had to
    return a few. Replaced them with DSE ones. Which look just as "cheapy",
    but actually are very good.

    TEX
    TEX, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Owly

    Tim Guest

    Tex - Look for a firmware update then. These issues usually get sorted.

    Configuration issues are a great pain. Many early DSL modems had the
    clumsiest configuration methods with Hidden Save config command somewhere so
    config was always getting lost because it was not getting saved.

    OP:

    I turfed out a Nokia for a dynalink (RTA220?) and the config on that could
    not be easier, reliable and happy with it. I have had it for 2 months and it
    has not gone down yet. Everytime it has gone down is because I have done it.
    Once after 31 days.

    Obviously the DSE ones are good also since so many people say so.

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Owly

    MarkH Guest

    "Owly" <**o.w.l.y**@orcon.nex.nz> wrote in news:1094109799.467758@drone1-
    svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz:

    > Hi,
    > Well, now that we've moved to an ADSL friendly area we've signed
    > up for Orcon's Jetstart with change to 256k when the UBS comes
    > into effect next month deal.
    > Two queries:
    > One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
    > combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
    > Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
    > I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
    > suit our purposes perfectly.
    > Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?
    > We can either go modem router with a switch or buy one that does all.
    > What are the downfalls for having a modem router with a switch, if any?
    >
    > Basically, I'm looking for recommendations as to the best setup keeping
    > economy in mind.

    The D-Link DSL-504G is one that I have experience with and found to be
    good.

    I am not too sure of your budget, but I consider anything under $200 to be
    a good economy price. I would be too scared to buy a Router that costs $93
    new.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Owly

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:22:40 +1200, "Owly" <**o.w.l.y**@orcon.nex.nz>
    wrote:

    >One: there seems to be a huge number of people selling Puretek PT3812
    >combos on trademe for around the $100 mark but no one buys them.
    >Does anyone know if there is a good reason why?
    >I ask because I've been offered one for $93 and on the surface it would
    >suit our purposes perfectly.

    I'm wary of them, but had no experience of them myself.

    >Two: If these are *crap* what do people recommend?

    Not saying they are crap (though I suspect so), I have had a M1122
    (good) and a DSL504 (good if not better).

    Both external. I've always gone for external, even for dialup. Neither
    missed a beat.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Sep 4, 2004