ADSL modem & router help

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by A, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. A

    A Guest

    I have a Billion 7100S ADSL modem which works fine when connected to
    my PC through the network port.

    I'm trying to hook it up to a Linksys wireless router (can't remember
    the model - the B model not the popular B/G one).

    Forget the wireless bit - the first step is getting the PC to access
    the net through the router through the modem.

    As far as I know it should be easy.

    1. Connect the modem to the phone line (already done)
    2. Connect the modem to the WAN port on the Linksys wireless router
    3. Connect the PC to one of the LAN ports

    When I do this I can't access the net. I can access the setup menu of
    the Linksys through a browser but I can't even ping the modem.

    Is there some setting in the modem I have to set to enable it to
    communicate with the Linksys router?

    Any help would be appreciated.
    A, Aug 26, 2005

  2. A

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message

    > I have a Billion 7100S ADSL modem which works fine when connected to
    > my PC through the network port.

    I have exact same model as you...single port ethernet port, correct?
    but its not a modem its a modem/router.

    i maybe a newbie when i say this, but i dont think you can hook up a
    modem/router to another router.

    my idea is if im correct that is, connect the lan cable to the router, then
    to you lan, then connect modem cable to the router and then to the phone
    jack, plug the power pack in and turn it on, go into your browser settings
    type in the IP, 192.168.1*** and input the settings given to you, save and
    reboot the modem and make sure the PPPoA is connected and you should have
    access to the net

    Regards
    Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob, Aug 27, 2005

  3. A

    A Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:48:28 +1200, "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote:

    >"A" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a Billion 7100S ADSL modem which works fine when connected to
    >> my PC through the network port.

    >I have exact same model as you...single port ethernet port, correct?
    >but its not a modem its a modem/router.
    >
    >i maybe a newbie when i say this, but i dont think you can hook up a
    >modem/router to another router.
    >
    >my idea is if im correct that is, connect the lan cable to the router, then
    >to you lan, then connect modem cable to the router and then to the phone
    >jack, plug the power pack in and turn it on, go into your browser settings
    >type in the IP, 192.168.1*** and input the settings given to you, save and
    >reboot the modem and make sure the PPPoA is connected and you should have
    >access to the net
    >
    >Regards
    >Krazy Bob

    Thanks for you reply Krazy Bob.

    You're right - the Billion 7100S is a modem/router although it only
    has one port.

    I've just checked the quick start guide - it says to use a crossover
    cable to connect the modem to the PC but use a standard cable to
    connect it to a LAN.

    I thought the cable that is currently connect is just a standard cable
    but I'll play around and swap them to make sure its thats not it.
    A, Aug 27, 2005
  4. A

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:48:28 +1200, "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"A" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have a Billion 7100S ADSL modem which works fine when connected to
    >>> my PC through the network port.

    >>I have exact same model as you...single port ethernet port, correct?
    >>but its not a modem its a modem/router.
    >>
    >>i maybe a newbie when i say this, but i dont think you can hook up a
    >>modem/router to another router.
    >>
    >>my idea is if im correct that is, connect the lan cable to the router,
    >>then
    >>to you lan, then connect modem cable to the router and then to the phone
    >>jack, plug the power pack in and turn it on, go into your browser settings
    >>type in the IP, 192.168.1*** and input the settings given to you, save and
    >>reboot the modem and make sure the PPPoA is connected and you should have
    >>access to the net
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Krazy Bob

    > Thanks for you reply Krazy Bob.
    >
    > You're right - the Billion 7100S is a modem/router although it only
    > has one port.
    >
    > I've just checked the quick start guide - it says to use a crossover
    > cable to connect the modem to the PC but use a standard cable to
    > connect it to a LAN.

    The quick start guide was a waste of time to me, didn't help me one bit, i
    spent a frustrating week trying to set mine up, searching on *all* possible
    forums on trouble shooting. finally rung up morning star which sell billion.
    and they told me to download a new browser and it should work...which i did
    and some reason it did.

    > I thought the cable that is currently connect is just a standard cable
    > but I'll play around and swap them to make sure its thats not it.

    it is a cross over cable, so all you need to do is connect one end to the
    "lan" port on the router and the other end to the "lan" port on your
    computer, then connect small square phone jack to "line" on the router and
    other rectangle end to the phone jack.

    any probs feel free to post here

    Krazy Bob
    Krazy Bob, Aug 28, 2005
  5. A

    PC Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:48:28 +1200, "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"A" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have a Billion 7100S ADSL modem which works fine when connected to
    >>> my PC through the network port.

    >>I have exact same model as you...single port ethernet port, correct?
    >>but its not a modem its a modem/router.
    >>
    >>i maybe a newbie when i say this, but i dont think you can hook up a
    >>modem/router to another router.
    >>
    >>my idea is if im correct that is, connect the lan cable to the router,
    >>then
    >>to you lan, then connect modem cable to the router and then to the phone
    >>jack, plug the power pack in and turn it on, go into your browser settings
    >>type in the IP, 192.168.1*** and input the settings given to you, save and
    >>reboot the modem and make sure the PPPoA is connected and you should have
    >>access to the net
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Krazy Bob

    > Thanks for you reply Krazy Bob.
    >
    > You're right - the Billion 7100S is a modem/router although it only
    > has one port.
    >
    > I've just checked the quick start guide - it says to use a crossover
    > cable to connect the modem to the PC but use a standard cable to
    > connect it to a LAN.
    >
    > I thought the cable that is currently connect is just a standard cable
    > but I'll play around and swap them to make sure its thats not it.

    If your Billion is a modem/router/single outlet switch then you should
    connect the switch output (LAN) connection to a LAN socket on the Linksys
    ignoring the WAN socket.
    I have done similar with a Dynalink modem/router/switch and a Dlink
    router/wireless/switch (604G if I remember correctly)
    The configuration that worked was Dynalink phone socket to the wall for
    ADSL, 3 of the Dynalink Switch outlets went to PC's, the fourth Dynalink
    Switch outlet went to one of the Switch (LAN) ports on the Dlink, another 3
    PC's were connected to the remaining 3 Dlink Switch (LAN) outlets.
    The Wireless part of the Dlink was then able to connect to wireless laptops
    as one would expect.

    The 'trick' was to only have one DHCP server, and ignore the 'WAN' port on
    the Dlink router/wireless/switch.
    As it happened the Dlink defaulted to 10.0.0.1 and the Dynalink 192.168.1.1
    so I had to connect the DLink directly to a PC and turn it's DHCP server off
    and (lastly) set it's IP to 192.168.1.50 so it became part of the Dynalinks
    IP space.

    Though this setup worked it had one major issue that I couldn't sort, the
    issue was a 'hang' every couple of minutes in data flow lasting 10 - 20
    seconds.
    I simply didn't have the time to find it at the time so took it out and
    hardwired everything to an 8 port switch downstream of the Dynalink Switch.
    I suspect it may have been 'browse master' issues but as I say I didn't have
    time to find out.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Aug 29, 2005