    that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when starting
    windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    kiwinebula, Oct 18, 2006

  2. On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:59:27 +1300, kiwinebula <kiwi@nebula> wrote in
    <news:4535b4c0$>:

    > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when starting
    > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    You have answered your own question. It is not without reason that it is
    said that Norton (Symantec) often causes more problems than it solves.

    --
    Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 18, 2006

  3. kiwinebula

    J Brockley Guest

    "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
    > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when starting
    > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    Change to AVG. It could be that Nortons is to old to handle a condition
    introduced by the far newer adsl drivers.

    J Brockley, Oct 18, 2006
  4. kiwinebula

    Tony Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:
    > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when starting
    > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    Dude, you should not be running win98 on the net, it cannot be secured.

    Tony, Oct 18, 2006
  5. kiwinebula

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    >> Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    >> that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when starting
    >> windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    >> disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.
    >>

    > Dude, you should not be running win98 on the net, it cannot be secured.

    i think more than a few will dispute that statement

    Craig Sutton, Oct 18, 2006
  6. kiwinebula

    EMB Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:
    > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when starting
    > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    Win98se doesn't cope with the USB drivers very well. Connect to the
    modem via ethernet and uninstall it's USB drivers.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 18, 2006
  7. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    > > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when

    starting
    > > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    > Win98se doesn't cope with the USB drivers very well. Connect to the
    > modem via ethernet and uninstall it's USB drivers.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Thanks I already did that though and no joy.

    kiwinebula, Oct 18, 2006
  8. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    > "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
    > > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when

    starting
    > > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.
    > >

    > Change to AVG. It could be that Nortons is to old to handle a condition
    > introduced by the far newer adsl drivers.

    Except that the only drivers I installed and then uninstalled after finding
    out you only need them if you use the usb port, I guess then the question is
    can the modem still cause a problem with nortons somehow, now I think about
    it I can't see how the modem could interfere yet somehow it has, maybe not
    all of the drivers were uninstalled properly.

    kiwinebula, Oct 18, 2006
  9. kiwinebula

    Tony Guest

    >> Dude, you should not be running win98 on the net, it cannot be secured.

    > i think more than a few will dispute that statement

    Well MS no longer fixes anything and there are known serurity holes.
    There may be some third party fixes but thats a poor alternative and not
    many people would actually install them. Win98 is like a crapped out old
    car that should now be banned from the road (the net) as it can pass a
    minimum warrent. I would suggest a Linux install for anyone who wants to
    still use low level hardware is a better choice.

    Tony, Oct 18, 2006
  10. kiwinebula

    EMB Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:
    > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when starting
    > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    NAV 2001 will be out of subscription and AFAIK Symantec won't sell you a
    subscription for it anymore. Replace it with something better and
    supported.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 18, 2006
  11. On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:59:27 +1300, kiwinebula wrote:

    > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when starting
    > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    For the love of Jesus (or any other messiah) get rid of Nortons, the piece
    of crap ADSL modem and Win98. Have a nice day.

    wogers nemesis, Oct 19, 2006
  12. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:59:27 +1300, kiwinebula wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    > > that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when

    starting
    > > windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    > > disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    > For the love of Jesus (or any other messiah) get rid of Nortons, the piece
    > of crap ADSL modem and Win98. Have a nice day.

    In my google search of websites and newsgroups I have found no other
    references to this modem been less than adequate for it's intentioned use,
    in fact there isn't really any reports I can see of people having trouble
    with the modem itself which seems surprising even if it generally doesn't
    have problems.

    kiwinebula, Oct 19, 2006
  13. kiwinebula

    Earl Grey Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:
    > "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:59:27 +1300, kiwinebula wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone have any idea about why after installing a d-link 302g adsl modem
    >>> that my nortons antivirus 2001 causes my computer to lockup when

    > starting
    >>> windows, if I stop it from loading at startup by going into msconfig and
    >>> disabling it my computer starts up fine. I am running win98se.

    >> For the love of Jesus (or any other messiah) get rid of Nortons, the piece
    >> of crap ADSL modem and Win98. Have a nice day.

    > In my google search of websites and newsgroups I have found no other
    > references to this modem been less than adequate for it's intentioned use,
    > in fact there isn't really any reports I can see of people having trouble
    > with the modem itself which seems surprising even if it generally doesn't
    > have problems.

    You are better off using the ethernet interface on the DSL302, the
    ethernet stuff is built into Windows, the USB driver is an extra
    conversion that yo don't need, and you can add other PCs to your
    connection with a hub/switch.
    I can see that a USB driver might cause issues with NAV, but the
    networking should be OK.

    You might just find some references to problems with Nortons Antivirus
    in your google search
    ;)

    Earl Grey, Oct 19, 2006
  14. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:4537ffe4$...
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    > > "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message

    modem

    > > starting

    and
    > >> For the love of Jesus (or any other messiah) get rid of Nortons, the

    piece
    > >> of crap ADSL modem and Win98. Have a nice day.

    > > In my google search of websites and newsgroups I have found no other
    > > references to this modem been less than adequate for it's intentioned

    use,
    > > in fact there isn't really any reports I can see of people having

    trouble
    > > with the modem itself which seems surprising even if it generally

    doesn't
    > > have problems.
    > >

    > You are better off using the ethernet interface on the DSL302, the
    > ethernet stuff is built into Windows, the USB driver is an extra
    > conversion that yo don't need, and you can add other PCs to your
    > connection with a hub/switch.
    > I can see that a USB driver might cause issues with NAV, but the
    > networking should be OK.
    >
    > You might just find some references to problems with Nortons Antivirus
    > in your google search
    > ;)

    Never had any intention of using the usb connection.
    No luck with google search on nortons antivirus problem, I also have big
    problems with trying to use firewalls on my computer, I will probably make a
    post about this sometime although I am sceptical as to whether anybody will
    be able to help as the problem is very strange. That said I never had any
    problems with nortons until I installed the modem.

    kiwinebula, Oct 20, 2006
  15. kiwinebula

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, kiwi@nebula says...

    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:4537ffe4$...
    > > kiwinebula wrote:
    > > > "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message

    > modem
    > > > starting

    > and

    > piece
    > > >
    > > > In my google search of websites and newsgroups I have found no other
    > > > references to this modem been less than adequate for it's intentioned

    > use,
    > > > in fact there isn't really any reports I can see of people having

    > trouble
    > > > with the modem itself which seems surprising even if it generally

    > doesn't
    > > > have problems.
    > > >

    > > You are better off using the ethernet interface on the DSL302, the
    > > ethernet stuff is built into Windows, the USB driver is an extra
    > > conversion that yo don't need, and you can add other PCs to your
    > > connection with a hub/switch.
    > > I can see that a USB driver might cause issues with NAV, but the
    > > networking should be OK.
    > >
    > > You might just find some references to problems with Nortons Antivirus
    > > in your google search
    > > ;)

    > Never had any intention of using the usb connection.
    > No luck with google search on nortons antivirus problem, I also have big
    > problems with trying to use firewalls on my computer, I will probably make a
    > post about this sometime although I am sceptical as to whether anybody will
    > be able to help as the problem is very strange. That said I never had any
    > problems with nortons until I installed the modem.

    Sure, but some folk have suggested to you that your Nortons sub must be
    way out of date by now, and therefore effectively providing you no
    protection (if yer gonna get a virus, it'll be a 'new' one).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 20, 2006
  16. kiwinebula

    Earl Grey Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:
    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:4537ffe4$...
    >> kiwinebula wrote:
    >>> "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message

    > modem
    >>> starting

    > and

    > piece
    >>> In my google search of websites and newsgroups I have found no other
    >>> references to this modem been less than adequate for it's intentioned

    > use,
    >>> in fact there isn't really any reports I can see of people having

    > trouble
    >>> with the modem itself which seems surprising even if it generally

    > doesn't
    >>> have problems.
    >>>

    >> You are better off using the ethernet interface on the DSL302, the
    >> ethernet stuff is built into Windows, the USB driver is an extra
    >> conversion that yo don't need, and you can add other PCs to your
    >> connection with a hub/switch.
    >> I can see that a USB driver might cause issues with NAV, but the
    >> networking should be OK.
    >>
    >> You might just find some references to problems with Nortons Antivirus
    >> in your google search
    >> ;)

    > Never had any intention of using the usb connection.
    > No luck with google search on nortons antivirus problem, I also have big
    > problems with trying to use firewalls on my computer, I will probably make a
    > post about this sometime although I am sceptical as to whether anybody will
    > be able to help as the problem is very strange. That said I never had any
    > problems with nortons until I installed the modem.

    I thought you mean't by installing the modem that you must have
    installed a driver.
    But you just plugged it in.
    Get rid of the NAV, its not doing you any good.
    You don't really benefit from a firewall running on your PC with NAT in
    the modem, the ports are blocked till you forward them.

    Earl Grey, Oct 20, 2006
  17. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:45380c1c$...
    > kiwinebula wrote:

    > > modem

    > > and

    > > piece

    > > use,

    > > trouble

    > > doesn't
    > >>>

    > >> You are better off using the ethernet interface on the DSL302, the
    > >> ethernet stuff is built into Windows, the USB driver is an extra
    > >> conversion that yo don't need, and you can add other PCs to your
    > >> connection with a hub/switch.
    > >> I can see that a USB driver might cause issues with NAV, but the
    > >> networking should be OK.
    > >>
    > >> You might just find some references to problems with Nortons Antivirus
    > >> in your google search
    > >> ;)

    > > Never had any intention of using the usb connection.
    > > No luck with google search on nortons antivirus problem, I also have big
    > > problems with trying to use firewalls on my computer, I will probably

    make a
    > > post about this sometime although I am sceptical as to whether anybody

    will
    > > be able to help as the problem is very strange. That said I never had

    any
    > > problems with nortons until I installed the modem.
    > >

    > I thought you mean't by installing the modem that you must have
    > installed a driver.
    > But you just plugged it in.
    > Get rid of the NAV, its not doing you any good.
    > You don't really benefit from a firewall running on your PC with NAT in
    > the modem, the ports are blocked till you forward them.

    Sorry I know it is a bit confusing, I install a driver to start with because
    I did not realise it was not needed if not using the usb port, so I
    uninstalled it but for some reason it seems to have screwed up nortons
    antivirus but then again i am having some really weird problems with
    firewall programs when they load up on start up so it may still have
    something to do with this existing problem even though I had no problems
    with nortons until I setup the adsl modem, like I say weird, probably too
    weird for anybody to be able to help without physically taking a look at my
    computer.
    Now I am very surprised and confused by your advice to not use a firewall, I
    was under the impression that you definitely need a firewall when using a
    adsl modem, I didn't see anything in the specs, features or manual to say
    that this modem has a built in firewall or that a software one was not
    required so could you please clarify or point me in the right direction by
    telling me what to look up on the web to understand this a little, it would
    be awesome if I did not need one. Just realised that maybe what you are
    saying does not apply to me because I have set my ports up to forward(did
    this in nat using instructions found on the web), I presume in this case nat
    offers me no protection and I therefore need a firewall.

    kiwinebula, Oct 20, 2006
  18. kiwinebula

    EMB Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:

    > Now I am very surprised and confused by your advice to not use a firewall, I
    > was under the impression that you definitely need a firewall when using a
    > adsl modem, I didn't see anything in the specs, features or manual to say
    > that this modem has a built in firewall or that a software one was not
    > required so could you please clarify or point me in the right direction by
    > telling me what to look up on the web to understand this a little, it would
    > be awesome if I did not need one. Just realised that maybe what you are
    > saying does not apply to me because I have set my ports up to forward(did
    > this in nat using instructions found on the web), I presume in this case nat
    > offers me no protection and I therefore need a firewall.

    Unless you're doing something well beyond the realms of ordinary web
    surfing and email you have absolutely no need for any port forwarding.
    With the lack of understanding you have demonstrated I'd suggest that
    you pay someone knowledgeable to set up your ADSL connection and get
    your computer working again.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 21, 2006
  19. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    >
    > > Now I am very surprised and confused by your advice to not use a

    firewall, I
    > > was under the impression that you definitely need a firewall when using

    > > adsl modem, I didn't see anything in the specs, features or manual to

    say
    > > that this modem has a built in firewall or that a software one was not
    > > required so could you please clarify or point me in the right direction

    by
    > > telling me what to look up on the web to understand this a little, it

    would
    > > be awesome if I did not need one. Just realised that maybe what you are
    > > saying does not apply to me because I have set my ports up to

    forward(did
    > > this in nat using instructions found on the web), I presume in this case

    nat
    > > offers me no protection and I therefore need a firewall.

    > Unless you're doing something well beyond the realms of ordinary web
    > surfing and email you have absolutely no need for any port forwarding.
    > With the lack of understanding you have demonstrated I'd suggest that
    > you pay someone knowledgeable to set up your ADSL connection and get
    > your computer working again.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Using utorrent which according to documentation needs port forwarding to
    work well.
    I got my adsl setup by myself without asking for help, same for port
    forwarding, just followed the instructions though, certainly I have little
    understanding to what I did with port forwarding.

    kiwinebula, Oct 21, 2006
  20. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    > > > modem

    msconfig
    > > > and

    the
    > > > piece

    intentioned
    > > > use,
    > > > trouble
    > > > doesn't

    Antivirus

    > > > Never had any intention of using the usb connection.
    > > > No luck with google search on nortons antivirus problem, I also have

    big
    > > > problems with trying to use firewalls on my computer, I will probably

    > make a
    > > > post about this sometime although I am sceptical as to whether anybody

    > will
    > > > be able to help as the problem is very strange. That said I never had

    > any
    > > > problems with nortons until I installed the modem.
    > > >

    > > I thought you mean't by installing the modem that you must have
    > > installed a driver.
    > > But you just plugged it in.
    > > Get rid of the NAV, its not doing you any good.
    > > You don't really benefit from a firewall running on your PC with NAT in
    > > the modem, the ports are blocked till you forward them.

    > Sorry I know it is a bit confusing, I install a driver to start with

    because
    > I did not realise it was not needed if not using the usb port, so I
    > uninstalled it but for some reason it seems to have screwed up nortons
    > antivirus but then again i am having some really weird problems with
    > firewall programs when they load up on start up so it may still have
    > something to do with this existing problem even though I had no problems
    > with nortons until I setup the adsl modem, like I say weird, probably too
    > weird for anybody to be able to help without physically taking a look at

    my
    > computer.
    > Now I am very surprised and confused by your advice to not use a firewall,

    > was under the impression that you definitely need a firewall when using a
    > adsl modem, I didn't see anything in the specs, features or manual to say
    > that this modem has a built in firewall or that a software one was not
    > required so could you please clarify or point me in the right direction by
    > telling me what to look up on the web to understand this a little, it

    would
    > be awesome if I did not need one. Just realised that maybe what you are
    > saying does not apply to me because I have set my ports up to forward(did
    > this in nat using instructions found on the web), I presume in this case

    nat
    > offers me no protection and I therefore need a firewall.

    Found some info on nat, thanks for pointing that out earl grey. Still have
    some working out to do though, only because of the port forwarding business
    which complicates things for me.

    kiwinebula, Oct 21, 2006