    In the mean time, a big tick for Paradise's Help Line.

    --
    ~IRO
    IRO, Dec 9, 2003

  2. IRO

    The Hobbit Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Struck an odd problem today. A client complained of losing her Jetstart
    > connection. Restarting the router didn't help so the suggestion was to
    > wait and see if Telecom or Paradise would get their act sorted. Finally
    > she called Paradise and they stepped her through the process (not for
    > the faint hearted) of checking her router's settings. Shor' nuff, her
    > logon name and password had vapourised. When they were replaced, the
    > router connected immediately.

    S'funny that...

    > Anyone heard of that happening? Better still, anyone got a suggestion as
    > to why they should disappear of their own accord?

    Sure have - it would have been one of the first things I checked after
    cables and power, surely the router config page would have shown some kind
    of disconnect which you could step through to the login authentication.

    > In the mean time, a big tick for Paradise's Help Line.

    Indeed - but make me wonder what kind of client she is to you if she would
    call you regarding a connection issue and you send her on to sort out her
    own problems - especially when you state that checking router settings are
    "not for the faint hearted". If you're some kind of IT 'consultant' (and I
    use that term with it's mid '90s connotations - no offence intended if
    you're not one of these) then it probably would have been nice if you'd
    done this work yourself so she (and the helldesk) didn't have to suffer
    through a step by step router config check.
    The Hobbit, Dec 9, 2003

  3. IRO

    XPD Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone heard of that happening? Better still, anyone got a suggestion as
    > to why they should disappear of their own accord?
    >
    > In the mean time, a big tick for Paradise's Help Line.

    You fail to mention what type of router :)
    Some routers do have bugs which can cause that sort of thing.... maybe a
    firmware patch is required ?
    XPD, Dec 9, 2003
  4. IRO

    JedMeister Guest

    I had a problem once with my DSE router...it froze while updating the user
    name...then the entire thing stopped working after that...the router reset
    pin did not function either.

    Eventually I got it working again by reinstalling the router firmware-but
    this was not easy.

    JedMeister, Dec 9, 2003
  5. IRO

    sd Guest

    IRO <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Struck an odd problem today. A client complained of losing her Jetstart
    > connection. Restarting the router didn't help so the suggestion was to
    > wait and see if Telecom or Paradise would get their act sorted. Finally
    > she called Paradise and they stepped her through the process (not for
    > the faint hearted) of checking her router's settings. Shor' nuff, her
    > logon name and password had vapourised. When they were replaced, the
    > router connected immediately.
    >
    > Anyone heard of that happening? Better still, anyone got a suggestion as
    > to why they should disappear of their own accord?
    >
    > In the mean time, a big tick for Paradise's Help Line.

    Make and model of router? Some routers have this problem of losing
    their configuration for no apparent reason, e.g. Alcatel SpeedTouch
    510.
    sd, Dec 9, 2003
  6. IRO

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:51:20 +1300, "The Hobbit"
    <> wrote:

    >Indeed - but make me wonder what kind of client she is to you if she would
    >call you regarding a connection issue and you send her on to sort out her
    >own problems - especially when you state that checking router settings are
    >"not for the faint hearted". If you're some kind of IT 'consultant' (and I
    >use that term with it's mid '90s connotations - no offence intended if
    >you're not one of these) then it probably would have been nice if you'd
    >done this work yourself so she (and the helldesk) didn't have to suffer
    >through a step by step router config check.

    You support the client's accounting software. You have no knowledge
    and don't want to have knowledge of desktop/server/network/connection
    stuff. She phones you up complaining that the accounting software
    doesn't work. You know from the error message that that means that the
    accounting software can't connect to the (remote) server. You advise
    her to talk to the ISP.

    Just because you provide support in one area doesn't mean that you
    provide support in all areas.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Dec 9, 2003
  7. IRO

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > IRO <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Struck an odd problem today. A client complained of losing her Jetstart
    > > connection. Restarting the router didn't help so the suggestion was to
    > > wait and see if Telecom or Paradise would get their act sorted. Finally
    > > she called Paradise and they stepped her through the process (not for
    > > the faint hearted) of checking her router's settings. Shor' nuff, her
    > > logon name and password had vapourised. When they were replaced, the
    > > router connected immediately.
    > >
    > > Anyone heard of that happening? Better still, anyone got a suggestion as
    > > to why they should disappear of their own accord?
    > >
    > > In the mean time, a big tick for Paradise's Help Line.

    > Make and model of router? Some routers have this problem of losing
    > their configuration for no apparent reason, e.g. Alcatel SpeedTouch
    > 510.

    whenever somebody asks me why i purchased a (more expensive in the long
    run) internal PCI ADSL card i will always forward them to the wonderfull
    wealth of infomation that is USENET

    tell them to search for "ADSL Problem" and wade through the many
    "problems" people have with external ADSL "All In One" boxes.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Dec 10, 2003
  8. IRO

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:51:20 +1300, "The Hobbit"
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Indeed - but make me wonder what kind of client she is to you if she

    would
    > >call you regarding a connection issue and you send her on to sort out her
    > >own problems - especially when you state that checking router settings

    are
    <Snip>

    > You support the client's accounting software. You have no knowledge
    > and don't want to have knowledge of desktop/server/network/connection
    > stuff. She phones you up complaining that the accounting software
    > doesn't work. You know from the error message that that means that the
    > accounting software can't connect to the (remote) server. You advise
    > her to talk to the ISP.

    Yes indeed - however the OP stated "A client complained of losing her
    Jetstart connection" which made me wonder why she'd call the OP if (s)he
    wasn't the one who dealt with these things (hence the question - not that
    it's anyones business)

    > Just because you provide support in one area doesn't mean that you
    > provide support in all areas.

    This is true - and it appears that you may be familiar with "the light bulb"
    principal

    (For those who've not done on-site or even helpdesk support, the light bulb
    principal is something that an ex-employer of mine used to describe the
    number of issues which would be attributed to the recent visit / phone call
    yet were completely unrelated to the job performed.

    While it may have other origins, in this case it stemmed from a job where a
    customer's graphics card was replaced (not by me) and the next day she rang
    up squealing (I took the call) that she came into the office, flicked the
    light switch, both the light bulbs blew and what were we going to do about
    it).

    <Snip>
    The Hobbit, Dec 10, 2003
  9. IRO

    Dave Taylor Guest

    snip

    > This is true - and it appears that you may be familiar with "the light
    > bulb" principal
    >

    > (For those who've not done on-site or even helpdesk support, the light
    > bulb principal is something that an ex-employer of mine used to
    > describe the number of issues which would be attributed to the recent
    > visit / phone call yet were completely unrelated to the job performed.
    >
    > While it may have other origins, in this case it stemmed from a job
    > where a customer's graphics card was replaced (not by me) and the next
    > day she rang up squealing (I took the call) that she came into the
    > office, flicked the light switch, both the light bulbs blew and what
    > were we going to do about it).
    >

    > <Snip>

    HAHA, that is great.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 10, 2003
  10. IRO wrote:

    > Struck an odd problem today. A client complained of losing her Jetstart
    > connection. Restarting the router didn't help so the suggestion was to
    > wait and see if Telecom or Paradise would get their act sorted. Finally
    > she called Paradise and they stepped her through the process (not for
    > the faint hearted) of checking her router's settings. Shor' nuff, her
    > logon name and password had vapourised. When they were replaced, the
    > router connected immediately.
    >
    > Anyone heard of that happening? Better still, anyone got a suggestion as
    > to why they should disappear of their own accord?
    >
    > In the mean time, a big tick for Paradise's Help Line.

    Not saving the password and having a power failure? Got me once, and stuffed if
    I could remember the password about 3 months after setting the thing up.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 10, 2003
  11. IRO

    IRO Guest

    In article <xNpBb.24224$>,
    "The Hobbit" <> wrote:

    > Indeed - but make me wonder what kind of client she is to you if she would
    > call you regarding a connection issue and you send her on to sort out her
    > own problems - especially when you state that checking router settings are
    > "not for the faint hearted". If you're some kind of IT 'consultant' (and I
    > use that term with it's mid '90s connotations - no offence intended if
    > you're not one of these) then it probably would have been nice if you'd
    > done this work yourself so she (and the helldesk) didn't have to suffer
    > through a step by step router config check.

    Safe to come out yet?

    Actually, she's not a client of mine, I edited surplus verbage from the
    posting for the sake of brevity.

    Her original minder had sold her the 2nd hand computer and was trying to
    help her, in spite of being out of his depth too. I volunteered to post
    a query here because I access Usenet more frequently.

    The other problem at this level is that she wouldn't have be able to
    afford my fees if I actually came over and sorted it out from the ground
    up. There are a lot of people in that situation, believe me. I help
    where I can but there is a limit to how much charity work I can afford
    to do.

    --
    ~IRO
    IRO, Dec 10, 2003