ADSL Max/Max

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordy, Nov 24, 2006.

  1. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    I have been on a 2Mbps/128kbps ADSL connection and have been thinking
    of upgrading to one of the new Max/Max options.

    I checked my ADSL router and find the line speed 7616/160 Kbps.

    The line connect speed has gone up nearly 4x on download and has not
    changed on upload.

    I want better upload speed but from this info it is not worth the
    upgrade...

    Is the new Max/Max upgrades Telecom is doing/offering still in
    transition?

    Anyone have any other info on UBS changes?

    Cheers

    Gordy

    Gordy, Nov 24, 2006

  2. Gordy

    Zipper Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > Well is seems that the router status I found previously was my current
    > connect speed.
    >
    > A further status I found in my router shows...
    >
    > Attainable Line Rate 10464 Kbps(download) 1176 Kbps(upload)
    >
    > Awesome....
    >
    > Gordy

    I wouldn't get too excited, you notice the amount of people complaining
    about getting nowhere near the speeds that their lines are capable of.
    A big difference between your line speed and what you will actually get :).

    Zipper, Nov 24, 2006

  3. Gordy

    David Empson Guest

    Gordy <> wrote:

    > I have been on a 2Mbps/128kbps ADSL connection and have been thinking
    > of upgrading to one of the new Max/Max options.
    >
    > I checked my ADSL router and find the line speed 7616/160 Kbps.
    >
    > The line connect speed has gone up nearly 4x on download and has not
    > changed on upload.

    This means that your download speed has already been upgraded to Max,
    (which Telecom was doing by default for all Xtra customers) but you are
    still on 128 for upload. Whether or not you actually get any benefit
    from the improved download speed will depend on available bandwidth to
    the Internet site you are accessing, which is mostly influenced by what
    other people are doing at the same time, and how much shared capacity
    Telecom is willing to let you use.

    Try doing speed tests to these sites:

    <http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml>
    <http://www.speedtest.net>

    If you are getting download speeds around 6100 kbps from the NZ test
    site then you very lucky.

    I'm at a friend's place right now, and his connection is reporting the
    same speeds as yours, but I only got 2200 kbps to the NZ test site. This
    will be due to Internet congestion issues.

    > I want better upload speed but from this info it is not worth the
    > upgrade...

    The fact that your line is able to achieve a raw speed of 7616 bps in
    the downstream direction indicates that you have a very good quality DSL
    connection, i.e. you must be close to the exchange. (The theoretical
    limit is about 8000.)

    The "160" figure simply indicates that your upload speed has been
    capped. If you went to Max/Max, I'd expect you to get something in the
    order of 700 for this figure.

    Note that both figures reported by your modem are a little higher than
    the actual usable data speed: multiply the figures by 0.8 to get the
    actual maximum usable data, so your theoretical limit is about 6092 kbps
    down, 128 kbps up (at the moment).

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Nov 24, 2006
  4. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Thanks for the speed test links.

    My results are 3395/127

    Cheers

    Gordy

    Gordy, Nov 24, 2006
  5. In article <1hpbocs.15pbuop9pvm4qN%>,
    says...
    > Try doing speed tests to these sites:
    >
    > <http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml>
    > <http://www.speedtest.net>

    It's an odd world. My modem reports 2.3 Mbits down, 160 kbits up.
    The two speedtests say I am getting ~1.6 Mbits down and around 120+ kbits up.

    Funny thing is, I have repeatedly downloaded archives from Monash Uni and
    Optus' Sourceforge mirrors at speeds in the area of 200 - 240 KBytes/sec.

    Considering that I am on a 1 Mbit plan, I guess I can't complain <grin> but
    with all the new pricing I may actually be paying too much by now.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Nov 24, 2006
  6. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Gordy exclaimed:
    > I want better upload speed but from this info it is not worth the
    > upgrade...

    You really do get a big increase in upload speed going to Max/Max. At
    work and home I achieve 500kbps upload on nzdsl, and ~250kbps to our
    overseas web host.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 24, 2006
  7. Gordy

    David Empson Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > In article <1hpbocs.15pbuop9pvm4qN%>,
    > says...
    > > Try doing speed tests to these sites:
    > >
    > > <http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml>
    > > <http://www.speedtest.net>

    > It's an odd world. My modem reports 2.3 Mbits down, 160 kbits up.
    >
    > The two speedtests say I am getting ~1.6 Mbits down and around 120+ kbits up.

    The upload speed is misleading. ADSL has some protocol overhead which
    means that you don't actually get to use all of that 160 kbits. The
    usable data portion of the 160 is only 128.

    When I was on a 256/128 plan, my modem was reporting speeds of 320/160,
    which suggests the actual figure is 80% of the reported figure. I don't
    think it is as simple as that, and it doesn't scale to higher download
    speeds. There is probably a smaller proportion of overhead plus a fixed
    component (e.g. something like 5% for framing overhead plus 24 kpbs used
    for a control channel).

    I don't remember what figure my modem was reporting for download when I
    was on 2M/128, but I was achieving actual speeds of around 2M from fast
    servers.

    I'm now on Go Large, and it is now reporting 4736 down, which will be
    the technical limit of ADSL over my phone line. I haven't achieved
    actual download speeds faster than about 1.8M since switching to this
    plan so I haven't been able to determine the real limit. I expect it to
    be closer to 3.5 or 4 Mbps. I'm only getting 1.8 because Telecom isn't
    providing enough bandwidth to my exchange.

    > Funny thing is, I have repeatedly downloaded archives from Monash Uni and
    > Optus' Sourceforge mirrors at speeds in the area of 200 - 240 KBytes/sec.

    That's 1.6 to 1.9 Mbps.

    An actual limit of 1.9 sounds about right for a raw line speed of 2.3.
    You might be getting misleading results from the speed tests, due to
    traffic shaping or network congestion.

    > Considering that I am on a 1 Mbit plan, I guess I can't complain <grin> but
    > with all the new pricing I may actually be paying too much by now.

    Xtra customers were automatically bumped up to Max download speed
    (unless they specifically stuck with an old plan which doesn't have a
    direct equivalent under the new scheme). Some other ISPs are still
    offering speed limited plans, e.g. Actrix now offers 256, 2M or Max for
    download speeds; Max replaced their previous 3.5M plans.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Nov 24, 2006