    cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer all the
    negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon

    cheers
    Krazy BoB, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Krazy BoB

    David Guest

    Krazy BoB wrote:
    > After much humming and haring.
    > ive decided to get xtra broadband, ive weigh the pros and cons of this
    > decision
    >
    > My question is if i bought a Billion 7100s 1port ADSL Router, would it be
    > compatitble with jetstream??
    >
    > i was thinking about getting the 2mb connection. hate the idea of the 10gib
    > cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer all the
    > negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon
    >
    > cheers

    The router should be compatible, are you buying it in New Zealand? Also
    check that it has a telepermit or telecom might throw a tantrum if
    something goes wrong/if they come round to install it.

    10gig goes quick at that speed, clicking on links to big files is so
    tempting when you can get them in a few minutes :D.
    David, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Krazy BoB wrote:
    > My question is if i bought a Billion 7100s 1port ADSL Router, would it be
    > compatitble with jetstream??

    if it is being sold in NZ as a DSL model, then yeah, it should work fine.

    > i was thinking about getting the 2mb connection. hate the idea of the 10gib
    > cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer all the
    > negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon

    Telecom, not Xtra... and no-one forced Orcon to offer UBS... they chose
    to, knowing that it would have worse latency than traditional DSL services.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Krazy BoB

    nova Guest

    Krazy BoB wrote:
    > After much humming and haring.
    > ive decided to get xtra broadband, ive weigh the pros and cons of this
    > decision
    >
    > My question is if i bought a Billion 7100s 1port ADSL Router, would it be
    > compatitble with jetstream??
    >
    > i was thinking about getting the 2mb connection. hate the idea of the 10gib
    > cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer all the
    > negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon

    Well if you count the actual people complaining it's only a small number
    really, don't let the noisy minority put you off something.
    I'm with Orcon and have seen no negative effects and I use a lot of
    latency sensitive applications like gaming and voip.

    Yes the billion routers work fine and are a great router.

    nova, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Krazy BoB

    Krazy BoB Guest

    "David" <> wrote in
    message news:_dBqd.17188$...
    > Krazy BoB wrote:
    >> After much humming and haring.
    >> ive decided to get xtra broadband, ive weigh the pros and cons of this
    >> decision
    >>
    >> My question is if i bought a Billion 7100s 1port ADSL Router, would it be
    >> compatitble with jetstream??
    >>
    >> i was thinking about getting the 2mb connection. hate the idea of the
    >> 10gib cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer
    >> all the negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon
    >>
    >> cheers

    > The router should be compatible, are you buying it in New Zealand? Also
    > check that it has a telepermit or telecom might throw a tantrum if
    > something goes wrong/if they come round to install it.

    Yes i am buying it in new zealand, will look to see if it has a telepermit

    > 10gig goes quick at that speed, clicking on links to big files is so
    > tempting when you can get them in a few minutes :D.

    Ive have fears that 10GB will go fast, then its back to dial up speed ARRGH.
    Krazy BoB, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Krazy BoB

    Krazy BoB Guest

    > Krazy BoB wrote:
    >> My question is if i bought a Billion 7100s 1port ADSL Router, would it be
    >> compatitble with jetstream??

    > if it is being sold in NZ as a DSL model, then yeah, it should work fine.
    >
    >> i was thinking about getting the 2mb connection. hate the idea of the
    >> 10gib cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer
    >> all the negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon

    > Telecom, not Xtra... and no-one forced Orcon to offer UBS... they chose
    > to, knowing that it would have worse latency than traditional DSL
    > services.

    Is this latency bad for gamming??

    Krazy BoB, Nov 29, 2004
  7. Krazy BoB

    Krazy BoB Guest

    "nova" <> wrote in message news:41aaf409$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Krazy BoB wrote:
    >> After much humming and haring.
    >> ive decided to get xtra broadband, ive weigh the pros and cons of this
    >> decision
    >>
    >> My question is if i bought a Billion 7100s 1port ADSL Router, would it be
    >> compatitble with jetstream??
    >>
    >> i was thinking about getting the 2mb connection. hate the idea of the
    >> 10gib cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer
    >> all the negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon

    > Well if you count the actual people complaining it's only a small number
    > really, don't let the noisy minority put you off something.
    > I'm with Orcon and have seen no negative effects and I use a lot of
    > latency sensitive applications like gaming and voip.

    What is your ping times on servers??
    Do you use the local servers or international one's

    Krazy BoB, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Krazy BoB

    JedMeister Guest

    > Krazy BoB wrote:
    >> My question is if i bought a Billion 7100s 1port ADSL Router, would it be
    >> compatitble with jetstream??

    > if it is being sold in NZ as a DSL model, then yeah, it should work fine.
    >
    >> i was thinking about getting the 2mb connection. hate the idea of the
    >> 10gib cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer
    >> all the negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon

    > Telecom, not Xtra... and no-one forced Orcon to offer UBS... they chose
    > to, knowing that it would have worse latency than traditional DSL
    > services.

    I wonder if this latency the same between all providers? I go through Xtra,
    so would I get lower latency connections under UBS?
    JedMeister, Nov 29, 2004
  9. Krazy BoB wrote:
    >>Telecom, not Xtra... and no-one forced Orcon to offer UBS... they chose
    >>to, knowing that it would have worse latency than traditional DSL
    >>services.

    > Is this latency bad for gamming??

    usually yeah.
    the latency according to the telecom specs for UBS should be ~30ms worse
    than retail DSL.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  10. JedMeister wrote:
    >>Telecom, not Xtra... and no-one forced Orcon to offer UBS... they chose
    >>to, knowing that it would have worse latency than traditional DSL
    >>services.

    > I wonder if this latency the same between all providers? I go through Xtra,
    > so would I get lower latency connections under UBS?

    nope, it's technology based... it's all in how they limit the speeds.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  11. Krazy BoB

    Krazy BoB Guest

    > Krazy BoB wrote:
    >>>Telecom, not Xtra... and no-one forced Orcon to offer UBS... they chose
    >>>to, knowing that it would have worse latency than traditional DSL
    >>>services.

    >> Is this latency bad for gamming??

    > usually yeah.
    > the latency according to the telecom specs for UBS should be ~30ms worse
    > than retail DSL.

    So basically if i wanted a good connection for gamming, chose jetstream over
    UBS

    Krazy BoB, Nov 29, 2004
  12. Krazy BoB wrote:

    >>>Is this latency bad for gamming??

    >>usually yeah.
    >>the latency according to the telecom specs for UBS should be ~30ms worse
    >>than retail DSL.

    > So basically if i wanted a good connection for gamming, chose jetstream over
    > UBS

    it seems to be the consensus from what I have read.
    I only know 3 people who are on UBS, the rest have stayed with Telecom
    on the 2Mbit plan... they can leech and game at the same time, it's all
    good.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  13. Krazy BoB

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:43:15 +1300, wrote:

    > After much humming and haring.
    > ive decided to get xtra broadband, ive weigh the pros and cons of this
    > decision

    Good.

    > My question is if i bought a Billion 7100s 1port ADSL Router, would it be
    > compatitble with jetstream??

    ADSL is a standard. Telecom are not the only people to use this technology.

    > i was thinking about getting the 2mb connection. hate the idea of the 10gib
    > cap but dnt really like the idea of going 256 and having to suffer all the
    > negitive effects xtra are forcing on orcon

    Spin Dr! There is someone here, about to break out into the
    truth/understanding area.
    Gordon, Nov 30, 2004
  14. Krazy BoB

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:41:42 +1300, wrote:

    > Is this latency bad for gamming??

    No. Just the mine is bigger than yours
    Gordon, Nov 30, 2004
  15. Krazy BoB

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:36:49 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > it seems to be the consensus from what I have read.
    > I only know 3 people who are on UBS, the rest have stayed with Telecom
    > on the 2Mbit plan... they can leech and game at the same time, it's all
    > good.

    The monolopy rules OK.

    But for whom?
    Gordon, Nov 30, 2004
  16. Krazy BoB

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:41:13 +1300, wrote:

    > Ive have fears that 10GB will go fast, then its back to dial up speed ARRGH.

    Or, more like it paying more than you expected.
    Gordon, Nov 30, 2004
  17. Krazy BoB

    steve Guest

    steve, Nov 30, 2004