    access firmware updates. Is this right?

    Cheers,

    Rich.
    Richard Bland, Mar 16, 2010

  2. Richard Bland

    bod43 Guest

    On 16 Mar, 06:04, Richard Bland <> wrote:
    > OK, so I'm new to Cisco and picked up an 857 off fleabay. After playing
    > around with it, I seems I need to update the ADSL firmware to get a
    > stable connection (UK C&W LLU ADSL2+).
    >
    > However, it looks like I need to buy a support account before I can
    > access firmware updates. Is this right?

    Some slightly older firmware is available at:-
    ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
    Most users will need to specify passive ftp
    for IE or use Firefox which does passive by default.

    I think 3.0.10 is the latest available there. 4.10.19 is for
    adsl over ISDN - I seem to recall.

    Read the release notes.

    Sorry just noticed you have ADSL2+.
    In my experience 3.0.10 will give a stable connection with
    original ADSL - no idea about ADSL2+.

    The latest stuff seems to be only available if you have a
    maintenance agreement.

    In the past with original ADSL I have found advantage in
    in specifying the "dsl operating-mode" away from auto.
    bod43, Mar 16, 2010

  3. bod43 wrote:
    > Some slightly older firmware is available at:-
    > ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
    > Most users will need to specify passive ftp
    > for IE or use Firefox which does passive by default.
    >
    > I think 3.0.10 is the latest available there. 4.10.19 is for
    > adsl over ISDN - I seem to recall.
    >
    > Read the release notes.
    >

    > Sorry just noticed you have ADSL2+.
    > In my experience 3.0.10 will give a stable connection with
    > original ADSL - no idea about ADSL2+.
    >
    > The latest stuff seems to be only available if you have a
    > maintenance agreement.
    >
    > In the past with original ADSL I have found advantage in
    > in specifying the "dsl operating-mode" away from auto.

    Thanks for the operating-mode tip - I've already tried 3.0.10 and 3.0.33
    from the public FTP site without much change in stability and was hoping
    for easy access to 4.0.18...

    However, the operating-mode change intrigues me as I've seen it posted a
    couple of other places. Will try that this evening.

    Cheers,

    Rich.
    Richard Bland, Mar 16, 2010
  4. Richard Bland

    bod43 Guest

    On 16 Mar, 18:36, Richard Bland <> wrote:
    > bod43 wrote:
    > > Some slightly older firmware is available at:-
    > >ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
    > > Most users will need to specify passive ftp
    > > for IE or use Firefox which does passive by default.

    > > I think 3.0.10 is the latest available there. 4.10.19 is for
    > > adsl over ISDN - I seem to recall.

    > > Read the release notes.

    > > Sorry just noticed you have ADSL2+.
    > > In my experience 3.0.10 will give a stable connection with
    > > original ADSL - no idea about ADSL2+.

    > > The latest stuff seems to be only available if you have a
    > > maintenance agreement.

    > > In the past with original ADSL I have found advantage in
    > > in specifying the "dsl operating-mode" away from auto.

    > Thanks for the operating-mode tip - I've already tried 3.0.10 and 3.0.33
    > from the public FTP site without much change in stability and was hoping
    > for easy access to 4.0.18...
    >
    > However, the operating-mode change intrigues me as I've seen it posted a
    > couple of other places. Will try that this evening.

    Support for the 857 will not cost much.

    I forget exactly - 15% of list price per year.

    I wouldn't hold out much hope for the operating mode.
    Worth a try tho'.

    Check your mail.
    bod43, Mar 17, 2010