    have it near my computer.

    Thanks
    Peter
    Woolfie, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Woolfie

    theseus Guest

    Woolfie wrote:

    > Is there a limit to the length of lead allowed between my router and
    > the telephone jack?
    >
    > The lead that comes with the router is not long enough the router if I
    > have it near my computer.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Peter

    No, but there are some appallingly bad quality telephone cables on wind up
    caddies.
    Get a reasonable quality one of the correct length from an electronics store
    like Dick Smiths or an electrical supplier like Mastertrade
    theseus, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Woolfie

    steve Guest

    theseus wrote:

    > Woolfie wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a limit to the length of lead allowed between my router and
    >> the telephone jack?
    >>
    >> The lead that comes with the router is not long enough the router if I
    >> have it near my computer.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Peter

    > No, but there are some appallingly bad quality telephone cables on wind up
    > caddies.
    > Get a reasonable quality one of the correct length from an electronics
    > store like Dick Smiths or an electrical supplier like Mastertrade

    Excellent advice!
    steve, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Woolfie

    mattlock Guest

    theseus wrote:

    > Woolfie wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a limit to the length of lead allowed between my router and
    >>the telephone jack?
    >>
    >>The lead that comes with the router is not long enough the router if I
    >>have it near my computer.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Peter

    > No, but there are some appallingly bad quality telephone cables on wind up
    > caddies.
    > Get a reasonable quality one of the correct length from an electronics store
    > like Dick Smiths or an electrical supplier like Mastertrade

    Would the quality of an extension cable affect a speed capped dsl?
    I use mine through one and haven't experienced bad performance, but then
    i've always used an extension...what sort of things should I be watching
    for?

    Thanks,
    Matt
    mattlock, Jun 29, 2004
  5. On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:40:34 +1200, mattlock
    <> wrote:

    >theseus wrote:
    >
    >> Woolfie wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there a limit to the length of lead allowed between my router and
    >>>the telephone jack?
    >>>
    >>>The lead that comes with the router is not long enough the router if I
    >>>have it near my computer.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Peter

    >> No, but there are some appallingly bad quality telephone cables on wind up
    >> caddies.
    >> Get a reasonable quality one of the correct length from an electronics store
    >> like Dick Smiths or an electrical supplier like Mastertrade

    >Would the quality of an extension cable affect a speed capped dsl?
    >I use mine through one and haven't experienced bad performance, but then
    >i've always used an extension...what sort of things should I be watching
    >for?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Matt

    If you are not suffering disconnections and you are getting the full
    capped speed, there is nothing to worry about. But the way capping
    works is that normally it is done at the PPP protocol level, so a
    capped speed does not reduce the requirements on the phone line
    quality for making the ADSL connection in the first place. Generally,
    if you can make an ADSL connection at all and it remains stable, then
    you will have at least 1 Mbit/s of ADSL download bandwidth available
    to you, and probably significantly more. If the connection was worse
    than that, I would expect it to be very difficult to get it to connect
    in the first place and to drop and reconnect all the time. Most phone
    lines can vary in signal to noise ratio over a fair range in just a
    few seconds, so you have to have enough noise margin to cover that
    before the connection works.

    In my case, I am about 5.3 km from the Naenae exchange and initially
    had difficulty connecting, until Telecom was persuaded to alter the
    settings on the line card to trade off bandwidth for signal to noise
    headroom. I was told it was a good thing I was using a Cisco 827
    router for the connection, as it uses a 24 V power supply and the
    extra headroom that provides helps on longer connections. The
    installer said he thought 12 V equipment would not have worked at all.
    But after the adjustment was done, I now see the Cisco reporting noise
    margin values of 9-13 dB. Below 8, the connection drops, but that
    does not happen now. The available download bandwidth is always
    reported as at least 4 Mbits/s, even when the noise margin is low.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 29, 2004
  6. In article <erdEc.5417$>,
    mattlock <> wrote:

    > Would the quality of an extension cable affect a speed capped dsl?
    > I use mine through one and haven't experienced bad performance, but then
    > i've always used an extension...what sort of things should I be watching
    > for?

    It can, depending on the speed. The amount of copper in the conductors,
    and the degree of twisting, affect the bandwidth. You'll notice slower
    (much slower) than expected thruput.

    I had some crook cheap ones some years back with Macintosh LocalTalk, a
    serial protocol @ 232kb/s Some leads just plain wouldn't work, but were
    OK for talking telephone.
    J.Random Luser, Jun 29, 2004
  7. Woolfie

    theseus Guest

    mattlock wrote:

    > theseus wrote:
    >
    >> Woolfie wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there a limit to the length of lead allowed between my router and
    >>>the telephone jack?
    >>>
    >>>The lead that comes with the router is not long enough the router if I
    >>>have it near my computer.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Peter

    >> No, but there are some appallingly bad quality telephone cables on wind
    >> up caddies.
    >> Get a reasonable quality one of the correct length from an electronics
    >> store like Dick Smiths or an electrical supplier like Mastertrade

    > Would the quality of an extension cable affect a speed capped dsl?
    > I use mine through one and haven't experienced bad performance, but then
    > i've always used an extension...what sort of things should I be watching
    > for?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matt

    No, normal telephone cable is exactly the sort of twisted pair transmission
    line that ADSL is designed for.
    What will have an effect is good quality connections that are properly
    crimped with the correct connectors.
    A partial connection can introduce noise and impedance errors
    theseus, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Woolfie

    Damon Nomad Guest

    On , , Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:48:04 +1200, Re: ADSL Connection,
    theseus <> wrote:

    >Woolfie wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a limit to the length of lead allowed between my router and
    >> the telephone jack?
    >>
    >> The lead that comes with the router is not long enough the router if I
    >> have it near my computer.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Peter

    >No, but there are some appallingly bad quality telephone cables on wind up
    >caddies.
    >Get a reasonable quality one of the correct length

    What is the correct length for a telephone cable on a windup
    caddy?
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give
    a man gills and he becomes a fish himself."
    Old Tleilaxu adage.
    Damon Nomad, Jul 18, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    d says...
    > On , , Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:48:04 +1200, Re: ADSL Connection,
    > theseus <> wrote:
    >
    > >Woolfie wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is there a limit to the length of lead allowed between my router and
    > >> the telephone jack?
    > >>
    > >> The lead that comes with the router is not long enough the router if I
    > >> have it near my computer.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Peter

    > >No, but there are some appallingly bad quality telephone cables on wind up
    > >caddies.
    > >Get a reasonable quality one of the correct length

    > What is the correct length for a telephone cable on a windup
    > caddy?

    Whatever you want it to be :)
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 18, 2004
  10. Woolfie

    Damon Nomad Guest

    On , , Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:25:01 +1200, Re: ADSL Connection,
    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On , , Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:48:04 +1200, Re: ADSL Connection,
    >> theseus <> wrote:

    >> >No, but there are some appallingly bad quality telephone cables on wind up
    >> >caddies.
    >> >Get a reasonable quality one of the correct length

    >> What is the correct length for a telephone cable on a windup
    >> caddy?

    >Whatever you want it to be :)

    The person mentioned "one of the correct length", I was wondering
    if they had to be tuned lengths like antenna feed cables? And if
    so how would you tune them <G>

    Damon Nomad, Jul 18, 2004
  11. Woolfie

    theseus Guest

    Damon Nomad wrote:
    > On , , Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:25:01 +1200, Re: ADSL Connection,
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> d says...

    >>> What is the correct length for a telephone cable on a windup
    >>> caddy?

    >> Whatever you want it to be :)

    > The person mentioned "one of the correct length", I was wondering
    > if they had to be tuned lengths like antenna feed cables? And if
    > so how would you tune them <G>
    >
    > "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give
    > a man gills and he becomes a fish himself."
    > Old Tleilaxu adage.

    Separate sentences.
    Comprehension required.
    Long crappy cable rolled up with shitty reel connectors = potential
    problems.
    Correct length quality cable with Telepermit tick and well crimped
    connectors, not rolled up = Deep Joy
    </guide dog mode>
    theseus, Jul 18, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    d says...
    > On , , Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:25:01 +1200, Re: ADSL Connection,
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> What is the correct length for a telephone cable on a windup
    > >> caddy?

    > >Whatever you want it to be :)

    > The person mentioned "one of the correct length", I was wondering
    > if they had to be tuned lengths like antenna feed cables? And if
    > so how would you tune them <G>

    No :)
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 18, 2004