ADSL connection problem / Sky / resolution.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by T i m, Oct 7, 2007.

  1. T i m

    T i m Guest

    Hi All,

    In case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation (and sorry if
    this has been covered before etc) ..

    A mate recently ordered the Sky BB package and when he tried to
    connect their router he had no constant ADSL LED.

    After he made a few fruitless calls to Sky, I popped round to see if I
    could help but in spite of substituting the router for my spare
    Linksys and removing the BT faceplate / checking for other unfiltered
    sockets etc I couldn't help.

    Some 2 months, 3 engineers and 5 hours on the phone to Sky support a
    4th engineer turned up, looked straight at the old BT junction box,
    took something out (possibly put something back in, he can't remember)
    and we have a solid ADSL indicator.

    So, does anyone know what was in there that could be killing the BB
    cct please (just out of interest) and how often are they still
    present? Is it possible a cct could run with such in place but at much
    reduced speed?

    All the best ..

    T i m
    T i m, Oct 7, 2007

  2. T i m

    Graham. Guest

    "T i m" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > In case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation (and sorry if
    > this has been covered before etc) ..
    >
    > A mate recently ordered the Sky BB package and when he tried to
    > connect their router he had no constant ADSL LED.
    >
    > After he made a few fruitless calls to Sky, I popped round to see if I
    > could help but in spite of substituting the router for my spare
    > Linksys and removing the BT faceplate / checking for other unfiltered
    > sockets etc I couldn't help.
    >
    > Some 2 months, 3 engineers and 5 hours on the phone to Sky support a
    > 4th engineer turned up, looked straight at the old BT junction box,
    > took something out (possibly put something back in, he can't remember)
    > and we have a solid ADSL indicator.
    >
    > So, does anyone know what was in there that could be killing the BB
    > cct please (just out of interest) and how often are they still
    > present? Is it possible a cct could run with such in place but at much
    > reduced speed?
    >
    > All the best ..
    >
    > T i m

    http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/connection_boxes.htm

    It was almost certainly a BT80A/RF2 and the engineer simply
    connected the incoming and outgoing pairs to the same
    connector thereby bypassing it. It begs the question why
    was the filter installed in the first place; when I have seen them
    they have been close to MW broadcast stations.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Oct 7, 2007

  3. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 11:20:05 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/connection_boxes.htm
    >
    >It was almost certainly a BT80A/RF2 and the engineer simply
    >connected the incoming and outgoing pairs to the same
    >connector thereby bypassing it. It begs the question why
    >was the filter installed in the first place; when I have seen them
    >they have been close to MW broadcast stations.

    Thanks for that Graham,

    I'm not aware of them being in a high RF area (Nth London / Enfield?)
    and my mates briefly described the box as 'long, black, Bakelite
    (although it could have been 'plastic' I guess) and I think he said it
    was over the front door, potentially where the line would have entered
    the house?

    I did ask if he was aware of (ever) having a party line but he said he
    hadn't and had been at that house for a good few years.

    All the best ..

    T i m

    p.s. I just reaslised I meant to post this on u.t.b but I guess it
    might still be on topic if you wanted to set such up to use VoIP) ;-)
    T i m, Oct 7, 2007